Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BillMNYC  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2023 19:38:08(UTC)
BillMNYC

United States   
Forgive the somewhat basic question but I just got a new Marklin 39579 locomotive. The pantographs are supposed to be controllable but in the manual it says "Before running the locomotive for the first time, the pantographs must be unlocked by hand. The pantograph flexes upwards on its own in the upper position."

The manual seems to show an image that indicates that you should touch them from the middle rather than the sides. But I cannot figure out how to actually unlock the pantographs. I've looked online for videos or further instructions but just can't figure it out. I don't want to pull too hard since I don't want to break the pantographs. Any ideas?
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2023 20:28:12(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Your not alone, I also had this problem. When one isn't intimately familiar with and practiced in handling the pantographs, its hard to know for sure, where to push/pull and how hard.

In the 'stored' position, the internal servo has the monofilament released fully, and the pantograph is pushed down and clips into place behind/under two small tabs at the base of the pantograph. That holds it down in storage.
(one should always raise the pantos for storage, and then manually push down and under the tabs to lock them, don't store them with the servo having pulled the filament down to lower the pantos).

So to release them, the not-grab-from-the-sides, is to prevent the pantos being deformed by pressing in on them from the sides (I think).
You need to look and find the two tabs under which a cross bar of the panto is captured. Them push or pull the panto along the axis (toward the nose end) of the loco to get that cross bar out from under the tabs.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2023 20:28:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BillMNYC Go to Quoted Post
But I cannot figure out how to actually unlock the pantographs.
Just lift upwards. It'll go easier if you gently push the wiper towards the nose of the loco while gently lifting it upwards.

If the loco is second hand or if you want to play it safe, open the loco before unlocking the pantographs. This should take the tension off the nylon wires.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BillMNYC  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2023 21:13:15(UTC)
BillMNYC

United States   
Thank you both so much for the replies. I feel like I have a slightly better idea of what is going on but somehow still can't do it. When I first got the locomotive I had put it on the track before finding the manual -- is it possible that raising or retracting the pantograph caused problems? See below for my attempts in case that helps.

I actually found some videos that show people unlocking it but although it is hard to see it doesn't seem like mine is exactly the same. (e.g. the one below at approximately 6:00)

trimmed.mov (18,935kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2023 21:58:38(UTC)
H0

The 39579 is a class 103 loco with single-arm pantographs.

The loco in the video has diamond-shaped pantographs - a completely different story. Here you have to move the wiper gently to the left and then gently to the right to unlock it.
Is it a Rheingold E 10.12? Do you have the ref. number?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BillMNYC  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2023 22:07:42(UTC)
BillMNYC

United States   
Aargh, sorry, I gave the wrong number somehow. The actual locomotive I purchased was a Marklin 39126 - Class E 10.12.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2023 22:15:01(UTC)
H0

As I wrote in #5, move the wiper to both sides of the loco to unlock it.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline BillMNYC  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2023 22:18:32(UTC)
BillMNYC

United States   
Success! Thank you so much!