Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2023 15:24:52(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I’ll soon start adding custom capacitors to locos. I have some with the NEM 21 board and some with wires only. Namely the 60982.

Am I correct if I connect the capacitor + side to blue wire with yellow OR orange markings (programmer IN1 or 2) and capacitor - to black (track ground) on the 60982 decoder?

Or should I connect the capacitor - to the blue wire with black markings (decoder programmer gnd)?

Here’s a link to the 60982 manual: https://static.maerklin....172c598cdf1663856135.pdf

Best regards,
-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline costing  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2023 17:11:56(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Hi Eino,

60982:
Capacitor (-) to "GND (Blue / black marking)"
Capacitor (+) to "Common Wire for Lights (Blue in NEM, Orange for Marklin)"

With the decoder powered from the two rails, measure the voltage between the pins you intend to attach the capacitor to. They should give a stable DC voltage of some 1-2V below the circuit power supply voltage.

If you have the mounting plate for 21 pin decoders, the pins are highlighted below.

marklin_keepalive_connecting.jpg

Otherwise you can also trace the respective pins (16 and 20) on the decoder itself and solder to some exposed pads, but that makes it harder to work with later on, for programming and such. I always attach them to the motherboard.

And always use the capacitor && (diode || resistor) circuit, to limit the inrush current that otherwise would be seen as a short circuit by the main station (or fry decoder's bridge rectifier). See Figure 10 from here: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/t...0andselectkeepalive.html

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by costing
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2023 17:29:46(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
60982:
Capacitor (-) to "GND (Blue / black marking)"
Capacitor (+) to "Common Wire for Lights (Blue in NEM, Orange for Marklin)"

With the decoder powered from the two rails, measure the voltage between the pins you intend to attach the capacitor to. They should give a stable DC voltage of some 1-2V below the circuit power supply voltage.

Ah… + to the common light wire. This is surprising, but then again I know nothing about the internal working of the decoder. I can still have lights connected, right? Also I’m looking for powering the motor as well in order to get over dirty spots (and also a bad spot on threeway C turnout).

So power on, no speed ofcourse and then multimeter to the pins I’m planning to use… right. This is to confirm I have the correct pins? With 21 NEM I’m planning to solder on those points shown in that picture.

I have 100ohm resistor that will be ”parallel” with a diode. That is going to the + of the 1000uF capacitor (or 2000uF if enough space) the diode ”ring” (kathode?) facing to the motherboard. This is the correct circuit I think.

I actually have only two of those 60982 decoders. Everything else is or will be on the 21 pin motherboard.

BR,
-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2023 08:23:41(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post

And always use the capacitor && (diode || resistor) circuit, to limit the inrush current that otherwise would be seen as a short circuit by the main station (or fry decoder's bridge rectifier). See Figure 10 from here: http://www.sbs4dcc.com/t...0andselectkeepalive.html

Here is the end result:

Thanks! It works perfectly!

-Eino

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by einotuominen