Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chas  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2023 08:57:39(UTC)
Chas

United Kingdom   
I am very limited on space for a spiral, so, has anyone built an automatic zig zag system to gain height in a small space?

All it needs I think, would be a couple of 8745's, 2/4/6 passing switches 2/4/6 powered turn outs, 2 feeds, 2 both rail isolators. Height anything you want?

Foot print 60mm by any length curved or straight. Speed and direction the same as entry.

Thanks

Chas
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2023 09:34:10(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Here is the real thing:

https://www.dpie.nsw.gov...-on-track-to-finish-line

Or type in Zig Zag railway Lithgow Blue Mountains images. There are plenty of photos for ideas.

It would be no different to an automated block section loop. Each block section now simply changes the train direction and switches a point to go up hill.

Thinking out loud, you will need an overriding circuit so when trains go down hill everything works properly in that direction when using the same momentary switches. Otherwise you will need two sets of momentary switches and turn off power to the set of switches not need.

You will need space side by side for each level of track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2023 20:40:41(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Chas Go to Quoted Post
I am very limited on space for a spiral, so, has anyone built an automatic zig zag system to gain height in a small space?

All it needs I think, would be a couple of 8745's, 2/4/6 passing switches 2/4/6 powered turn outs, 2 feeds, 2 both rail isolators. Height anything you want?

Foot print 60mm by any length curved or straight. Speed and direction the same as entry.

Thanks

Chas

If the track only needs to be operated in one direction, you won't need to electrify the points (if you use Marklin) as they can be entered against the point.

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2023 23:40:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chas Go to Quoted Post

Thanks

Chas

If the track only needs to be operated in one direction, you won't need to electrify the points (if you use Marklin) as they can be entered against the point.

Cheers

Chris

Is that still true in Z scale? (we are in the 'small scale' forum, and he is using catalogue numbers for z scale items).
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2023 01:20:24(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The main reason I didn't bury a spiral in a mountain was to reduce gradient by running the spiral out into the scenery. It is more work, but anything to keep gradients to a minimum. Why waste a good scenery opportunity with a a spiral. They are worth their weight in platinum!

I built most of this layout a couple of decades ago utilising the scenery side of the spiral to help keep gradient to a minimum.

Model at 1:10 scale of Z gauge layout to help iron out problems.
_MG_0870_095356.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2023 12:49:49(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
For a short train this might be fun.

So you lead up and at each end there is a switch leading to the next stretch? So you change direction a few times.

The longer the train, lesser the distance you can 'climb'. If your train is 20 cm long you loose at least 50 cm climbing distance.

Anyway this is a nice idea. Perhaps something fun with a BR74 (or any heavy loc) and a few cars. I bet it could concur a relatively steep gradient.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2023 20:47:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Is that still true in Z scale? (we are in the 'small scale' forum, and he is using catalogue numbers for z scale items).

Yes, absolutely! I do it all the time

Cheers.

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton