Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2023 23:56:22(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I would like to know what is the minimum system I need to operate my layout using dcc. I would have no more than 4 locomotives operating. Do I have to use the Marklin command control or can I use other DCC systems by Digitrak or orhers. My principal question is that I cannot afford to use Marklin DCC equipment. Those DCC systems cost $1000 and up. Do the other systems that operate on DC systems work on AC (Marklin) systems?
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2023 00:36:59(UTC)
Copenhagen

The Marklin Mobile Station 2 isn't that expensive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2023 01:02:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I would like to know what is the minimum system I need to operate my layout using dcc. I would have no more than 4 locomotives operating. Do I have to use the Marklin command control or can I use other DCC systems by Digitrak or orhers. My principal question is that I cannot afford to use Marklin DCC equipment. Those DCC systems cost $1000 and up. Do the other systems that operate on DC systems work on AC (Marklin) systems?

As already noted, an ms2 complete setup doesn't cost anything like that much.

But the question comes back to what are you wanting to do? Are you looking to hook your layout up to a computer to control trains automatically? You may still be able to do that using an ms2 using a CAN Interface.

It is possible to use SOME marklin items on a DCC system, on others you will need to change the decoders, and depending on how extensive your fleet is that would need to go this route, you could very quickly run up quite a bill for decoders.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline costing  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2023 01:16:36(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
The cheapest DCC system is an Arduino with a motor shield. Connect them to any PC running JMRI and you have a running system in no time at all, with separate main and programming track connections. Around $15 if the two PCBs are ordered from overseas.

Here are some links to get started:
https://github.com/DccPl...eld%20Pin%20Mappings.pdf
https://dcc-ex.com/ex-co...n/get-started/index.html
https://www.jmri.org/hel...rdware/dccpp/index.shtml

This is what I run myself and in addition to being as cheap as it gets, you also get free throttles on every mobile device.

Word or warning though, older Marklin equipment doesn't talk DCC, make sure the "DCC" icon shows up on the box of every loco you would run with it. Or upgrade the decoder :)

Good luck and let me know if you have questions on this, I'll be glad to help.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2023 09:58:46(UTC)
H0

Do the other systems that operate on DC systems work on AC (Marklin) systems?
Digital is digital and DC or AC make no difference.
But for old Märklin locos you will need the MM protocol which is not supported by some brands specializing on "two-rail".

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2023 13:57:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Marklin or Trix 29000 MS2 digital start set with C track oval, controller, track box, and powerpack is under $150 U.S.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2023 10:51:40(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin or Trix 29000 MS2 digital start set with C track oval, controller, track box, and powerpack is under $150 U.S.

Good point!
But TS needs CS3 as support if to upgrade MS2.
How many is there in USA who can do that?
It will be fine too by use US digital system with Märklin trains if there is DCC protocol in the Märklins digital locomotives.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2023 10:58:08(UTC)
Goofy

First a question...did you check if you can buy US digital system like Digitrax or NCE?
They are not cheap too but you have shop store with better service than Märklin products in US.
With only 4 locomotives maximum on the layout i recommended you Digitrax DCS52 which are good nice all-in-one system.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 06 January 2023 13:07:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Digitrax and NCE are not Motorola decoder compatible.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2023 14:29:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Digitrax and NCE are not Motorola decoder compatible.

NCE is not, but older Digitrax controllers had trinary mode which drives MM decoders. I think they have now abandoned the capability although the SVs in the control unit still have references to trinary mode in the documentation.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan