Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2023 13:31:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Anybody know the difference between a turnout motor 74492 and 74491. Is one any better than the other.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2023 13:37:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Hi Anybody know the difference between a turnout motor 74492 and 74491. Is one any better than the other.
They come with different cables, but with respect to reliability (or lack thereof) they are the same.
The '92 is for the Start Up control panels.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2023 14:52:34(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
They come with different cables, but with respect to reliability (or lack thereof) they are the same.

It amazes me that they don't provide product for digital only use, that would not have the analog safety system. Though short circuiting the end switches is easy and sort of a one time job.

BR,
-Eino

Offline Alex H  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2023 12:50:49(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Are the turnout motors problematical then?
Offline pederbc  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2023 13:03:57(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Yes, and no! If they are unmodified you will eventually have a problem with them, but if you short/remove the small microswitches they will most probably last. I have had mine working for more than 10 years now modified without any problem.

Peder
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2023 14:24:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I agree with Peder, my Märklin 74491 (I have approx 70 of them) once modified worked for me for more than 15 years of intensive usage (using Rocrail).
I tried for a moment Viessmann 4554 but died rapidely and were very noisy.
My previous layout were N gauge using Fleischmann and Arnold Rapido switch motor and they had similar issues (So not only Märklin).
This goes also to say that MOS FET transistors that drive these motors are perfectly capable withstanding the voltage spikes unlike most of microswitches. So it is a pity that Märklin does not develop a digital version w/o those unreliable microswitches.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2023 23:32:04(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Offhand which would you consider the best tutorials on how to modify them then?
I have about 30 of them still not used.
And of course a many mounted in points.

Added: Ok you mean literally soldering them together and to short like this??
So then the digital system just by-passes the switch and throws the solenoid?
I am not an electronics whiz, did I miss what the microswitch does for analog anyway?
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2023 00:49:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post

I am not an electronics whiz, did I miss what the microswitch does for analog anyway?

Hi Mark

Electronician Engineer from France here.

The microswitches are needed:
- to allow analog operation by children (who may press the button for too long
- to allow reporting the position of the switch on LED equipped control command 7271

What destroys these microswitches is the reverse peak voltage when the inductive load is switched off.

Having started C track from the very beginning I can tell many design changes on these switch motors
- first units with only one microswitch and must lower power
- second units with higher power (current) and two micro switches inside
- third units with spark protection soldered directly between the microswitch legs
- change of sticker for warranty claim protection

Having used also Arnold Rapido and Fleischmann N Gauge switmotors, I can say this problem is not specific to Märklin.
Having bypassed all my microswitches now, no more issue while using with digital and Rocrail control. Timing set to 100 mS

Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2023 01:57:36(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thank you Johnjean, always clear.

Were you the engineer that was conscripted to educate those of lower rank? If not you would have been a fine educator. Now that I realize you were an electronics engineer I can appreciate how you bring it all together; an Engineer's mental categories, critical evaluation and MMR experience. Cool (Thinking of Kant.) Must help greatly making Marklin work alongside Rocrail.

So M-track switches never had microswitches, and they would burn out when a loco or a car rested on a contact track or someone kept pushing the pulse switch. However, that was rare if you knew not to do that. Do you think the M-track motors were made from more robust material to withstand that better? This comes to mind, since I may have a portion of my shadow yard that uses K-83s and/or M-83s with M-track switches, so no need to do anything to them, except check if they are still functioning well. Is that correct? (I do remember Martin from Sweden going over all his M-switches to bring them into shape and posting a thread for it.)

With regard to 74491 etc, do you think its best to remove the microswitches altogether, or that its perfectly fine to solder them as the above video tutorial shows?
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Electronician Engineer from France here.

The microswitches are needed:
- to allow analog operation by children (who may press the button for too long
- to allow reporting the position of the switch on LED equipped control command 7271

What destroys these microswitches is the reverse peak voltage when the inductive load is switched off.

Having started C track from the very beginning I can tell many design changes on these switch motors
- first units with only one microswitch and must lower power
- second units with higher power (current) and two micro switches inside
- third units with spark protection soldered directly between the microswitch legs
- change of sticker for warranty claim protection

Having used also Arnold Rapido and Fleischmann N Gauge switmotors, I can say this problem is not specific to Märklin.
Having bypassed all my microswitches now, no more issue while using with digital and Rocrail control. Timing set to 100 mS

Cheers
Jean

Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2023 12:05:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark
My activity as Engineer was about linear electronics, then digital, then application software, then system s/w, exporting my design in the USA for the Atlanta airport parking system, the Fare Collection system in LA, then system sales in Taipei, Nanjing, Beijing, the Netherlands, Toronto, the UK and much more.

M track was well designed but in normal iron so prone to rust. Solenoids were using nylon for coils and nickel-plated sliding path in which the iron core in a nylon sleepbed was sliding.
I have used various production years in M track and the last years 1990-2000 were much more precise than the early years from 1956 with painted underneath, large switch lanterns, and cutting edge under the rails.

C track is now excellent, being made in stainless steel. I recommend to leave the microswitches in place and simply add a thin shorting wire to connect the pins together. Why? Because the motor together with the turn-out mechanism makes a complete system where bouncing back is possible and prevented partly by the microswitches.

Cars not staying on contact tracks: the M Track solved this using these slider-operated, directional contact tracks (reducing the risk of a slider remaing on the contact track). Now with digital CS3 etc, then no matter where the contact comes from, its duration is controlled 200 mS standard. This allows for much more sophisticated automatic operation (occupancy,etc)

IMO the "crème de la crème" is using a train management s/w like Rocrail. One of the many steps further (to a CS3-based automatic) is that it knows in real time where each loco is, with each cars, what type of traction, type of train (international, local, goods, shuttle), what train calculated length is permitted to go into blocks of sufficient length. It can also operate in the Aquarium mode (each train heads to where it wants based on permissions (electrics don't go to non electrified sections, local trains don't go on main line) and much more possibilities.
The other mode is the Schedule mode Trains go through a specific path (e.g. a railcar run in the country or a steam loco processing at the depot and at specific times (layout-time) or time intervals. These are called schedules like for the real trains.

Train automation is really fun
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2023 01:19:14(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
A very travelled, interesting and well-storied life. I would love to sit down and hear more about it should you ever wander through Montreal.

Thank you for clarifying a bit more the use of rocrail. I have already been thinking of how I would plan to manage different groupings of transit—main, local, electrics, diesel, steam, passenger, frieght, yard—and destinations or lack of destination (continued travel from stop to stop). Any more groupings or schedules you can think of?

So as far as "staying on contact tracks" you mean to say that with digital cs3 or rr then they can just sit on contact since it just a question of having sent the digital signal and not a continuous power connection since it's controlled time. (I might just be repeating you on that note but wanted to clarify to myself as well.) Wink

Cars not staying on contact tracks: the M Track solved this using these slider-operated, directional contact tracks (reducing the risk of a slider remaining on the contact track). Now with digital CS3 etc, then no matter where the contact comes from, its duration is controlled 200 mS standard. This allows for much more sophisticated automatic operation (occupancy,etc)

Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 15 January 2023 13:50:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark

The first time I went to Montreal was for the Expo 67 with students of my Engineer School and the last time in 2017 but only for short stays and I never worked there.
Expo 67 was fabulous

Rocrail
Schedule mode
- each schedule has an origin block, intermediate blocks and a destination block. Each of these blacks may call for waiting time or direction change
- Schedule time may be relative (time after calling the schedule) or absolute (model time after a clock, either real time or accelerated time X2,..X10
- once finished the scgedule may start another schedule, sometimes depending on conditions (e.g: If cars are decoupled then start schedule y, otherwise start schedule z
- schedules may include a turntable activity.
- there are no groupings of schedules that I knw of. They are all available until called for like colours on a painter's palette

Contact tracks with CS3
- contacts are scanned periodically by the CS3 every x milliseconds
- events store chains of commands (switch or signal position, sounds, loco fonctions, speed, direction change, ANYTHING) and can include logic commands (And, Or, Random,..)
- the CS3 includes an event recoder: push the red button, do any action on locos, switches, signals, functions, then stop recording. You just created a record you may edit and / or play-back any time
- events are started either manually or by a contact CHANGE (closed or open) potentially associated with conditions.
- every command to a switch / signal has a duration specified in the signal or switch description (typ 200 mS but adjustable from 100 mS up to 5 S

So, no matter what the contacts are doing, NEVER will a solenoid be activated for long.
Note: on recent 60831 60832, long duration are converted into busts or activation (non continuous).

Cheers
Jean
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2023 03:19:33(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Great information as always. Thank you Jean.
Do you remember going on the monorail during Expo67? If you do, we may have been on the same train. Its a small world. It is my earliest memory of being on a "train" that I know of. I was a wee chap. Expo67 put Montreal on the map in its own way.
Time runs faster than any man.

I think it would be good to have a FAQ that links all the Rocrail for Marklin posts together. There is a lot of great stuff on the forum with RR but not organized in a topical fashion that can be surveyed quickly. Perhaps a job for another day, but using what has been said/posted already and outlining it into a kind of syllabus. Sometimes just using the search feature is not enough to find the buried nuggets of gold.

As far as grouping are concerned, the schedules can (idk?) be made into groups if they know which loco is in the schedule. If it is say a steam or e-lok then it has its own E or D (dampflok) tag. RR sees that in the tag and it triggers the appropriate event. If that becomes too complex then I may have to resort to using different devices, magnet or slider for circuit or a contact rail for any train. However I now only intend to use the catenary for cosmetic purposes (not electified) and so my e-loks would have to have a slider, which would in turn limit the selective nature of different feedback mechanisms. Therefore if I can get RR or an event to work in a group it would be best. I suppose if the start and end point/location is different for the three groups, then it may work, since only that grouping of trains would trigger a certain series of events. Does that make sense?
Hi Mark
The first time I went to Montreal was for the Expo 67 with students of my Engineer School and the last time in 2017 but only for short stays and I never worked there.
Expo 67 was fabulous
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 19 January 2023 12:52:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark
Yes for me, flying to Canada and returning from New York was my first time in America. What a discovery it was. Yes I remember a automatic people mover taking you everywhere into the big pavillions.

As far as grouping are concerned, the schedules can (idk?) be made into groups if they know which loco is in the schedule. If it is say a steam or e-lok then it has its own E or D (dampflok) tag. RR sees that in the tag and it triggers the appropriate event. If that becomes too complex then I may have to resort to using different devices, magnet or slider for circuit or a contact rail for any train. However I now only intend to use the catenary for cosmetic purposes (not electified) and so my e-loks would have to have a slider, which would in turn limit the selective nature of different feedback mechanisms. Therefore if I can get RR or an event to work in a group it would be best. I suppose if the start and end point/location is different for the three groups, then it may work, since only that grouping of trains would trigger a certain series of events. Does that make sense?

Not sure I understand your viewpoint. Here is mine:
- schedules take ANY loco from its starting point (block) to its ending point. It does so using routes and blocks which autorisations may differ and prevent a train from moving (an electric cannot use a non electrified block.
- actions can be started associated with conditions (e.g.: a specific loco, a train, a type-local,-shuttle,-express,..), a time, even meteo conditions. These actions can do ANYTHING (drive trains, start schedule (via Tours), modify displays on the screen, etc)
- Any type of sensor can be used indiscriminately like occupancy, slider-operated, opto sensor (on the humping yard). The ones I use the least are reed contacts.
- Why not Reed contacts? they force to have magnets on cars or locos. Their positive side is they can be actuated in very specific conditions BUT this is total useless because Rocrail allows all this and much more, for free, without the ugly magnets and all the wiring.
- Why not using catenary as a contact? Of course you could but again, Rocrail can do it for free (If locotype=electric and location is xyz and direction=forward... etc) There are NO LIMITS to the detection of a specific situation (e.g.: one of my steamers has a mobile coal level in the tender, so when it enters the coaling station, the coal is raised).
- Grouping? Each loco can belong to one or more categories (era 1..to era 6, steam, electric, diesel, fast train, post train, regional train, shunting,..). Each block has permissions for specific locos or for loco types, or for a specific length.. I cannot name them all, just too many. So it is a matter of matching the specifics of a loco and of a block that will shape the next block in Aquarium mode.

Cheers
Jean