Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What is important to you regarding locomotive models
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 33 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2023 05:45:46(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've listed 3 options
1. As close as possible to the prototype i.e. the model is to look exactly like the prototype.
2. The model is to run as well as possible and looks is not important i.e. reliability
3. The price i.e. as cheap as possible.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2023 13:21:14(UTC)
Copenhagen

I need a 4th category (at least): is it a locomotive I "need" to have.
As I (re)started this wonderful hobby only a few years ago, it has been a priority for me to have a collection of locomotives related to my country, Denmark. So when a new model is released, and usually in a limited number, it's almost a must buy (unless it's something too modern that I'm not interested in). Sometimes getting extra variations of the same model is also desirable, and here price becomes an issue, and then I may buy it if it's a "must have" or if the price is right (a discount for example).
I have a few locomotives from other European countries as well. Sometimes they are bought because the price is attractive, sometimes because they have special features or maybe they have operated in Denmark.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2023 14:03:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Of course true to prototype detail, color, scale. Also some substantial heft, pulling power, accurate sounds, lights, scale gearing speed.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2023 15:09:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
produce a loco which has all the necessary functions, e.g. cab light, engine room light (where applicable, high beam, marker lights, Swiss lighting configuration, plate light, fire box, gear lights, telex coupling, smoke generator, step lights, uncoupling lights,

John

Edited by user 02 January 2023 06:13:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2023 20:28:44(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I voted for the reliability. Althought that is just the most important aspect, where all others are important too.
For steamers I like to have all the functions and for electrics sometimes I don't care so much, except for the horn and full light control.
Easy servicing is also good and I am not a fan of have to put the Trix grease every 20 hours of operation in places where there sometimes
the access is not so easy (mostly steamers).

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Bryan  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2023 22:35:10(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
The most important aspect to me of a locomotive is serviceability and durability. Aspects of this is are how the locomotive comes apart and easily returned to full assembly. Also in this category is the availability of spare parts and for how long. I personally would like to see that all spare parts are available for at least 10 years for a model, however it is probably a tall ask in this day and age.

Another point is the vast range of spare parts that Marklin and others have, they could be far more universal. Motors and decoders are especially like this. Marklin seem to make a new motor for every new locomotive now. Gone are the days where a DCM armature would fix and could be installed in most locos.

When you look at Marklin made in the 1950's, the detail was coarse, however every part of a model was designed to be replaced to keep the model running for many many years. All manufacturers have gotten away from this ideal which is a great shame. Model, trains that last for many years with mild running is a great delight to have, and important.

I do like the fine detail on models, except where they are very fragile and can easily break off. In these cases it really would be better to leave of the small detail off than it to break off in mild handling.

In summary, locos today are look beautiful to look at, I just wish they were made more durable to match the look.

David
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2023 23:07:31(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Reliability of running is paramount. Without this the model is practically worthless.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2023 00:41:18(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’m with Brian here: there was a time where it seemed that spare parts were not a problem as most locomotives shared the same motor, brushes, etc. About the only thing different were traction tires. Now, with the “maintenance-free” motors (or “non-repairable” being more like it), you have new challenges as each locomotive seems to use a different motor. Granted, the smooth, near silent operation is nice, but for how long? Also, while the detail of the latest BR 03, for example, is far superior to the one I first purchased roughly twenty years ago, it’s also quite fragile in some places, requiring extra care when handling. Maybe it’s just the nostalgia bug biting me, but I really like the items offered twenty, thirty, and even forty years ago: they seemed more robust, fun to operate, and easy to maintain. I’ve converted a few for digital operation, but many of my analog loks will remain as they are.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2023 06:42:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Spare parts section: this is one sector that has been drastically reduced over the years whereas before any old 3000 loco you still can get spareparts today.,
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2023 13:02:59(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Agree with others here that the models must be serviceable and basic parts must be available for a decent time.
and the details must be of a quality that enables you to replace traction tyres and oil the locomotive without having to spend time after the service to glue back on fine details at least when you are using in propper soft locomotive service cradle. With the DSB E991 the first thing I had to do was to glue back one of the handrails that had been broken in production/packaging. I could have sent it back to Märklin for repairs but that is also a big inconvenience. Even if I really want an SJ F (when they release it), I'm in serious doubt about buying it because of the fine detail that will make basic service difficult.

And as for motors, at least some recent models use the same part number: sncf 241, sncb class 1, E991, Br 02........

Good old Mârklin quality Cool Märklin Aus Metall
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2023 16:01:27(UTC)
H0

Price is important, reliability is important, detailing is important.
I wouldn't pay more than €100 for certain models (e.g. the ES 64 U2 Hobby model from Piko), but would pay more then €400 for some better models.
IMHO a better detailing justifies a higher price.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2023 04:42:20(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I've listed 3 options
1. As close as possible to the prototype i.e. the model is to look exactly like the prototype.
2. The model is to run as well as possible and looks is not important i.e. reliability
3. The price i.e. as cheap as possible.

I would say that reliability is always more important than detail. The whole point of the hobby is to run trains, isn't it? The detail on new models is great, but you need to look at it with a magnifying glass to appreciate it. You can't tell if the handrails are the right diameter or if the roof walkway is photoetched while your loco is running, but you can tell if it's unreliable. Hence my ranking. In fact, I would argue that the emphasis on detail has reached a point of diminishing returns. From the early 60s to the early 90s, there was a major improvement in detail without seriously sacrificing durability or maintainability. Since then, detail improvements have been more incremental while locos (especially steamers) have been much more difficult to work on.

Price does matter, but it comes in 3rd. I'm lucky in that I'm at a stage in my career where I can afford some of the expensive stuff, and I do like my new Albatross and Crocodile with 2 motors, but I also look for value for money, so much of my fleet is 30, 33 or 34 series locos bought used on Ebay. Much more bang for the buck than the new stuff.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2023 12:46:19(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Dear Forum members,

Thank you for your votes on this poll. The results are exactly as I would expected and it needs to be shown to the manufacturers that if they want the hobby to continue, then they need to spend more time making their models more reliable and spend less time making the models particularly "attractive". about 1% (at this is an extreme estimate) of model railroad enthusiasts would know that a buffer is missing, or a hose pipe is not attached, or the incorrect number of rivets are on a model. Therefore, all the expense put into making a model look exactly like the prototype is a waste of time and money. Yes, it's important that the model looks good, but I believe at this time it's excessive, and so the effort going into the "look" could be used to improve the reliability and 99% of the customers would be more happy. Am I right ?
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2023 13:06:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I agree with Drongo that in does not really matter how accurate a model is with the original. For me I have not seen any of the actual locos that I have in model form so do not know how accurate they are. Providing that from a distance on the layout the loco looks as it should then many of the smaller parts are not really required. Brawa appears to have good detail but in time small parts disappear or are found lying on the track. All my locos over the years are still running. Replaced a decoder on one and a few have had new tires fitted.
Always been happy with Marklin and would buy Piko but despite Peters excellent instructions I still cant change the number 3 address.
As with all products being reliable and working from the box is all important.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2023 14:45:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
When a model is designed to scale, blueprints are used from the protoypes. Also photos of the protoype are studied. Paint colors selected correctly, imprintings, etc.
Depending upon the price point of the model, and the limits of the casting procress, be it plastic, zinc, or brass, the detail quality can vary. While plastic has been the mosr economical with easier to reproduce detail, certain items may not be best suited to cast with the body, but added seperately after assembly. In metal, smaller pieces may be able to be cats with the body shell, but this adds to cost.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rmsailor  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2023 16:10:00(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

I have purchased a fair number of locomotives through E-Bay and elsewhere over the years and what is striking is how often the bag of add-on bits is still unopen. It would appear that for a lot of modellers having locomotives complete to the last detail is not important. Presumabely happy as long as they run.

Bob M.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline jcrtrains  
#17 Posted : 15 January 2023 17:20:49(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I find the results a bit odd as I view reliability as basically a given.

Keeping in mind my loco background, a diverse number of manufacturers and analogue, I don't have a concern for manufacturers reliability. I have many engines from the 80's, early 90's that all run absolutely fine. Manufacturers reliability is generally fine across all vintages for me.

What is somewhat of a concern is reliability on my layout. That sounds odd, but when I built the layout I unfortunately built some grade changes that were close to curves. That has caused a couple of engines derailment problems. The most recent was the ACME BLS Ae 6/8. A stunning model visually that did not have enough axle play for my layout. I bought it locally and was able to exchange it for something else.

Is the reliability concern driven from digital and decoder issues?

Note that what I do find a key in acquisition decision making is prototype design uniqueness. While we are early in 2023 new model news, I find the recently announced Roco FS E.432 and FS D.343 to be very interesting as they are very unique prototype designs.

Thanks

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains