Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Slinger  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2022 15:12:15(UTC)
Slinger

United States   
Hello,

I have a very old Marklin transformer (pictures attached) from the early 1960's. It has been working great for all these years, but just yesterday it started acting up, where when turning the potentiometer up from 0, no power was getting to the track. Pressing the knob to reverse direction operated normally. I tried to turn the potentiometer a few times, from 0 up to mid range, then max, then back to zero, etc, not too slow, and not too fast, but still nothing. It tried removing the connectors connecting the wires to the track in the back of the unit and re-inserting them, still nothing. I then lifted the transformer gently to hold it in my hands, and then gently placed it down. It then worked. After using the trains for a few hours, but not much at all really, maybe a total run time of about 10 minutes, the problem returned. With a very light bounce I can get it working again. If anyone has any advice what I can do to further investigate the issue and even for getting this refurbished, I would greatly appreciate it. I've had trouble free operation with this for 60 years, I have no problem investing in a good overhaul in order keep it running another 60 for my children and grandchildren to enjoy. Note: I using this only around Christmas each year, and all my equipment is stored in climate controlled environment, so they are well cared for.

Thank you,
Nick

20221230_084512.jpg20221230_084457.jpg20221230_084446.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Slinger
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2022 15:32:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
There have been numerous posts on this forum regarding the danger of these old blue metal case transformers and the safety risk of severe shocks or worse due to the interior deterioration of the wiring and components. My strong advice would be "Do Not Use It!" The general comments in this forum have been to bring these to a recycling center and buy a new one.

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Slinger  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2022 16:24:36(UTC)
Slinger

United States   
Thank you Peter. Over the years, I've looked for a replacement but can't determine the what exactly to replace it with, that is, one that has the 30VA secondary output or similar AC output power. My locomotives are the old "analog" type, not digital or DCC. Any suggestions on a good replacement that would be compatible with these old engines?
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2022 16:31:52(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Slinger Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Peter. Over the years, I've looked for a replacement but can't determine the what exactly to replace it with, that is, one that has the 30VA secondary output or similar AC output power. My locomotives are the old "analog" type, not digital or DCC. Any suggestions on a good replacement that would be compatible with these old engines?

One that I would suggest for North American use is Marklin 6646 available from AJCKIDS at around $130. It is 32VA at 120 VAC.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Slinger  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2022 17:59:03(UTC)
Slinger

United States   
Thanks for the quick responses and sound advice Peter.

Nick
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2022 18:54:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Sounds like something has come loose internally. The insulation on the wires feeding into these transformers perish due to age and it would be prudent to have an electrically savvy person replace them at the same time as checking for the fault you have.

If you do not have electrical experience yourself, it would be best to get an electrician to look at it.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2022 20:44:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Do not handle the transformer with bare hands. There is a risk that deteriorated insulation inside the unit will result in live voltage to the housing.
Both the actual AC cord and the wires inside the unit can be subject to crumbling leading to short circuits and electrocution risk.

AFAIK you can safely use the 1970s blue plastic transformers or the newer white plastic ones. As the mains voltage has changed, the best option would be to use the 6646

The old transformers had a light which dimmed when there was a track short, but did not cut power. The new ones cut off and reset, meaning that there is less risk of damage to wheels and sliders following a derailment or short.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline 1borna  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2022 21:09:21(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Could it be that the bimetal contact (which turns off the transformer in the event of a short circuit) has oxidized so that it only occasionally connects the voltage?
As for the dangers, I think that if you don't have a pacemaker, it can cause discomfort, but nothing more, especially if you are trained?
Ever since I was little, I've been stressed many times with 220 volts, later with 360
(it was more embarrassing). I was shocked once by 500 V from the television cascade, and quite a few times by 20 kV from the coils on cars.
A friend of mine was born again from a coma after he hooked a 110 kV transmission line with a fishing rod and fell into a coma (2 weeks ago). He was discharged from the hospital yesterday as healthy, he only has burns on his arm and leg through which the electricity came out.
I'm just kidding, don't play with electricity, especially if you're barefoot and on wet ground!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2022 23:55:41(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
As Peter mentioned above, you can't go wrong with the newer "white box" trafos for your analog running (I have several). I also have a few of the old "blue box" trafos -- including the Super model you mentioned at the beginning of this thread -- but they occupy a small area in my display case of no longer used, vintage items, i.e., dust collectors.

BTW... I did plug in the Super trafo not long after picking it up at a local train meet -- just once: promptly blew a fuse in the house breaker panel. Good thing the wife was out running errands.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan