Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2022 22:36:32(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Any suggestion on locos with good pulling power? I am trying to pull a 40 car European freight train on flat no grade. Apparently all my locos slip.
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2022 22:47:25(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
You do not indicate what type of locos you have that are not up to the job. I would think a steam loco with its extra weight and larger drive wheels might provide more traction. Some locos are heavier because they have more metal parts. Finally, it you are using mfx+ locos are you refilling the sand?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline QQQ1970  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2022 23:04:26(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Both steam and diesel. I used BR44 39889, BR216 3074 and BR50 3084. All slipped. I do not use mfx+ features.
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2022 23:10:52(UTC)
Copenhagen

I'll see if I can test it. I have a medium sized layout so 40 cars in one consist might take up too much space. Pulling the cars through several turns in a winding line will be harder than pulling in a straight line.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2022 01:31:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestion on locos with good pulling power? I am trying to pull a 40 car European freight train on flat no grade. Apparently all my locos slip.

Sorry for the list below:
- it is very important that traction tires are new (purchased and installed recently) and never used on oily track
- the track (I use C track) must be very clean and not oily
- it is best to avoid small radii (from R2 is ok) as slippage is increased by sharp length difference between the inner rail and outer rail.
- avoid using small radius turn-outs as they have contact plates, raising the wheel such as to reduce adherence of traction tires. Alternatively do not run too slow on those.
- make sure all your rolling stock has good bearings and receive a tiny drop of oil before first use as recommended by Märklin
- if you have illuminated coatches, make sure the slider(s) and ground-return blade are not over extended. Ideally a 2 pole coupling kills all drags
- some locos have only 2 tractions tires (one each side) which may be too little

With the vast majority of my recent Märklin cars, my problem is more to be sure the track is perfectly horizontal otherwise cars start rolling with as little as 1° incline.
Many BR 50 Märklin (goods loco) have very decent pulling power and I believe a 40 cars won't be a problem.

Note: avoid older Märklin cars especially the "blunt axles" around 1950
Here is a short video of Märklin pulling 17 bogie tank cars

Here is an extract of the 1964 catalog showing the BR E 94 pulling 60 2-axle tank cars in operation during the Nürnberg exhibition stopping at a signal and restarting without derailing.
Sans titre.png
This loco has 4 traction tyres and some newer locos have at least an equivalent pulling power and 1964 goods car were with metal bearing (much bigger resistance) so it should not be a problem.

Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2022 02:02:26(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The sand was a joke. The 39889 looks like a brute and the prototype was built to haul huge ore trains. I noticed while watching movies with scenes of engines starting to pull long trains that there was flex built in the couplings so that the engine first pulled a few cars forward with its first pull and then a few more with the second pull until the entire train was moving. Sadly we can not do that with our models. But now the important question. Are the wheels of the loco spinning or not turning at all. If they are spinning perhaps it is possible to make the traction tires slightly gummy or add traction tires to more wheels? The only other possibility I can think of would be to try and duplicate the starting effect I mentioned above by switching directions quickly. Not sure if that can be done to effect.
Offline QQQ1970  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2022 04:02:36(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Wheels are spinning. If I run at higher speed it can run, but doesn't look nice at starting and stopping when you see wheels spin.
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 27 December 2022 06:36:39(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin do have good pulling tractive powers thanks of the locomotive weight and traction tyres.
But honestly i don´t like too much override of the pulling tractive powers since we are writing model railway world.
What are you trying to proof?
"Hey!...I have worlds strongest locomotive on my layout!"
Too many traction tires grease on the rail and you must clean your rail often to make good contact on the tracks with the locomotives and wagons with the lighting.
The longer trains the bigger layout you need.
In fact i do see 10-16 gods wagons are enough and 5-6 passenger cars pulling by theirs locomotives.
Rail roader do have traction power problem on the narrow curve tracks like R1 and R2 by use too long train set.
There is other manufacturer who do also have good tractive powers on theirs locomotive.
Such like Brawas new V 60 can pull about 27 two axles wagons uphill 1,5% promille.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Copenhagen  
#9 Posted : 27 December 2022 13:19:04(UTC)
Copenhagen

Just tested with 40 mixed freight cars and three different Marklin engines (Nohab diesel, BR 80 steam museum and a tenderless OBB steamer - all modern dcc). They were all able to pull it off (pun intended) with no problem, and could probably have pulled a few more.

Problem is that cars have to be mixed and matched, because lighter and shorter cars will have a tendency to be pulled of the tracks in certain places with curves when the draft from the cars behind gets too big. A problem that also is in the real world in places like horse shoe curves.
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2022 14:14:35(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Actually I think having wheels spin at start with long heavy loads is typical as that is what happened with the start I described above. The loco would start forward and jerk forward a few cars, the wheels would spin, a second power stroke would happen and a few more cars would jerk forward and repeated until the entire train was slowly moving and would keep happening until the consist was up to speed.
I recently purchased a Bellingrodt 37452 and it is very heavy. I bet it could pull a long consist.
The issue with cars derailing around a U shaped corner was common with our club layout where longer passenger cars in a long consist would be pulled sideways when the loco was parallel to the consist in the opposite direction. The problem seems to have been solved by widening the distance between the parallel tracks leading into and coming out of the U.
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2022 15:13:29(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post

Sorry for the list below:
- it is very important that traction tires are new (purchased and installed recently) and never used on oily track
- the track (I use C track) must be very clean and not oily
- it is best to avoid small radii (from R2 is ok) as slippage is increased by sharp length difference between the inner rail and outer rail.
- avoid using small radius turn-outs as they have contact plates, raising the wheel such as to reduce adherence of traction tires. Alternatively do not run too slow on those.
- make sure all your rolling stock has good bearings and receive a tiny drop of oil before first use as recommended by Märklin
- if you have illuminated coatches, make sure the slider(s) and ground-return blade are not over extended. Ideally a 2 pole coupling kills all drags
- some locos have only 2 tractions tires (one each side) which may be too little

With the vast majority of my recent Märklin cars, my problem is more to be sure the track is perfectly horizontal otherwise cars start rolling with as little as 1° incline.
Many BR 50 Märklin (goods loco) have very decent pulling power and I believe a 40 cars won't be a problem.

Note: avoid older Märklin cars especially the "blunt axles" around 1950
Here is a short video of Märklin pulling 17 bogie tank cars

Here is an extract of the 1964 catalog showing the BR E 94 pulling 60 2-axle tank cars in operation during the Nürnberg exhibition stopping at a signal and restarting without derailing.
Sans titre.png
This loco has 4 traction tyres and some newer locos have at least an equivalent pulling power and 1964 goods car were with metal bearing (much bigger resistance) so it should not be a problem.

Cheers
Jean

That 1964 ad was no joke. With fresh traction tires, a 3022 class 194 electric will be up to the job. Mine is 48 years old and still going strong.
Offline rhfil  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2022 17:19:53(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I don't claim to be an expert on the protocols but from what little I understand there are three digital protocols that Marklin controllers recognize - MM(Motorola Marklin), DCC, and mfx. The first two you have to specify and identify the address while the third one can be recognized. I think if you mess up and misidentify a protocol and address it is possible to control the loco with analog. I think that happened to me once which confused me. Before I removed all my locos from my controller I would first remove them all from the track and then try to find it again. I think it is DCC. If you have the terrible ROCO manual it should indicate what the address is someplace in it The problem is finding it. Mine was DCC 3 which unfortunately is often used by manufacturers as a setting easily found which can then be reset to eliminate conflicts. I would look to see if you have other locos with that address. That might be the problem.
Offline PFG45  
#13 Posted : 30 December 2022 11:36:43(UTC)
PFG45

Denmark   
Coming back to the OP original question my experience of pulling 28 cars (consisting of car types such as 47058 and 47808 (which is considered as two cars)) of up to 5% grade (variying grades on the climb) with two 180 degrees turn roughly 1.5 meters apart:

Prioritized with the best pulling locomotive first:

SBB Re620 37327 (about 650 gram) (believe has two traction tires)
DB BR120 37527 (about 650 gram) (believe has two traction tires)
BLS RE465 39462 (about 600 grams)
SBB 37446 (about 550 grams) (believe has four traction tires)
The new Vectrons (DB, SBB and ÖBB) (about 500 grams) (believe have two traction tires)

In a relative test comparing the locomotives (without factoring in the quality of traction tires and the cleanliness of the tracks etc.) with the same load done at about the same time the following four locomotives; SBB RE620 (best), DB 120 (best), BLS 465 and SBB 482 hardly slow-down in the top bend, when the lenght of the train is on the entire grade and pulling force of the wagons are the highest, and pretty much maintain the same speed on the entire grade, whereas the new Vectrons, which are lighter and with only two traction rings, tend to slow down somewhat in a few seconds before start regaining speed on the subsequent straight part of the track. My test is no more than a visual test but the differences in performance is clearly distiguishable.

To me it seems that the SBB 482 (lighter but with four traction tires) almost have the same performance as the SBB RE620 and DB BR120 (heavier with two traction tires). I am trying, with the help of my local dealer, to see if I can get addititional axles for the new Vectrons so I can add two additional traction tires - totalling four traction tires in total. Curious to see if that would yield any positive effect.

The heavier Soft-Drive Sinus 189 and Taurus locomotives (two axles powered with four traction tires) are somewhere between the New Vectrons and the SBB 37446.

When descending I do not see any differences in performance (maintain the same speed down) amongst the locomitives mentioned above but the DB Br182 Taurus 39840 and certain 189 (four axles powered) seem to drive in a erratic behaviour when going downhill where the locomotive cannot resists the force of pushing wagons at slower speed (the new Vectrons however, seems unaffected about this).

The 36xxx series of locomotives are incapable of pulling the same load on my layout.

Edited by user 05 January 2023 09:11:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PFG45