Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JetForMe  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2022 10:55:08(UTC)
JetForMe

United States   
Hi everyone. Many years ago I bought a Marklin ICE 2 kit that came with K track, a digital 60113 box and 60653 mobile controller, and never took it out of the box until this past week. I decided to make a little winter train layout under the tree, and set it all up. It was working fine until today, when I tried to start the train running, and found the controller completely unresponsive to key presses. Can't take it out of Stop or do anything else. I tried power cycling it, plugging it into the other port, nothing helped.

Family is coming over late this evening, and I'd love to be able to get it to run. I don't know if anyone is reading these forums this weekend, but if you have any fixes to try, I'd love to hear them.

Is there a way to factory reset the controller that doesn’t require using the front keys?

I am very adept at electronics, and have quite a few things like Arduinos and Raspberry Pis around. If anyone knows what the digital signaling protocol is, either to the track, or from the controller to the digital power box, I could hack together something to command the system. It really just needs to tell the train to run, maybe turn the lights on for a bonus.

If it's a common failure of the electronics (basic components), I can attempt repairs here too.

Thanks for any help!
Offline JetForMe  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2022 11:14:25(UTC)
JetForMe

United States   
I fixed it! I found another post that talked about having the cable replaced. I looked closely at the connector plug and saw it was covered in goo (not sure where that came from, maybe a capacitor has leaked inside the box and seeped into the receptacle? I'll open it shortly and take a look). I tried wiggling the plug in the socket and saw that it would cut power to the controller; didn't matter which socket it was plugged into.

I took some Deoxit and IPA to the plug with a brush, and that seemed to fix things. Curious symptom.

I would still love to know what the protocols are (between the box and the track, and the controller and the box).

UPDATE: I opened up the digital box. Clean as a whistle. Not sure where the gooey corrosion came from.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JetForMe
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2022 19:20:22(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
you cleaned the plug with IPA, beer? 🤣🤣🤣

Merry Christmas and happy trains 👍🏻
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2022 21:21:52(UTC)
Goofy

A simple question...did you ever read the manual of the digital set!??
Covered in goo??

Confused
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control