Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2022 16:04:43(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good day folks, Marklin says that I can use the kit 7329 to light internally these coaches.
The question is, will they work with a digital layout OR should I look at the ESU light strips ?
Marklin also has something similar to ESU, kit 73400
In any case I need pick up shoes, minimum one per coach, or as set of conducting couplers, 72020 / 72021
Alternatives?
Thank you
Marco
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2022 16:49:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Good day folks, Marklin says that I can use the kit 7329 to light internally these coaches.
The question is, will they work with a digital layout OR should I look at the ESU light strips ?
In any case I need pick up shoes, minimum one per coach, or as set of conducting couplers, 72020 / 72021
Alternatives?
Thank you
Marco

The 7329 will work fine with a digital layout. Those lighting fittings use the two lead bulb.

The 73400/73401/73410/73411 kits do not come with suitable fittings to support the light bar - they rely on the coach interiors supplied in later coaches to support them. If you can arrange some way of supporting the light strip then I would use the 73410 which is the newer kit with capacitors to stop the lights blinking.

I don't know off hand if you can use conducting couplings on those coaches. You may need to run a wire between coaches.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2022 17:18:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If you can take power from the loco and use Viessmann light bars with Brawa current conducting couplers it should be OK. I dont have the coaches so can not be sure if those would be suitable. Also there are Train Tech battery lights which will fit in any coaches.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2022 20:07:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would use caution with the 7329 if you are running a digital layout with a 6021. I had at least one instance where heat from the lightbulb (constant use) melted the plastic light channel adjacent to the bulb and caused a slight deformity in the coach roof. You may wish to replace the OEM bulb with a similar one with a higher voltage capacity.
I have not tested coaches with this lighting with operation with the MS2.

I don't know if the lighting kits and diffusers from the 42990/42991 sets are available as parts.

Regards

Mike C
Offline BenP  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2022 21:08:34(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Alternatives?
Thank you
Marco

It would be helpful if you included pics of the coaches, so we don't have to look up stock numbers (or have dealer instant memory).
Just a friendly suggestion (also for forum posts in general).
Ben
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2022 01:11:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
4095 was the first 27cm DB TEE/IC coach. 4097 was the matching 27cm Wrmh132 restaurant coach.
Both coaches were in the TEE livery with black skirt and had the MD bogies with the long coupler arm.
I don't remember if there were versions of the coach in classic TEE livery with the offset mounted bogies and short coupler arm. The WRm restaurant 4153 was released like this.
The later versions 4295 and 4297 had red skirts and close coupling mechanism.

Regards

Mike C
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2022 17:53:00(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Thank you folks :-)

98% of the time I have no idea what Marklin item numbers represent, I use google and find it immediately. I believe this is the way to go today with everything.
The coaches are indeed 27cm long and the DO NOT have NEM couplers, I will definitely need a pick up shoe under each coach. I do not want to go crazy trying to find compatible ones.
I use an EcOS so I'm fine with my digital system. I will need higher voltage light bulbs though if I can find them.

The LED strips look ideal and cheap but then I need all the ancillary pieces: pick up shoes, cables, springs to use under the bogies and this increases cost a bit.

The 'bay' doesn't offer any savings either compared to the Marklin shop.

I recall somebody posting a DIY LED lighting kit on this forum, do I remember correctly? But then all the ancillary equipment needs to be sourced as for the Marklin ones.

I was right, I found the post: https://www.marklin-user...IY-LED-interior-lighting
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2022 20:06:39(UTC)
rhfil

United States   

Don't buy either the 72020 or 72021 as you are paying for a lot of stuff just to get two current conducting couplers. You can find just the couplers as 115737. Find them somewhere in bulk lots for cheaper. Some times you have to go through a few to find a pair that work well together. They do not join or separate as easily as the normal couplers.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2022 00:56:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
True, however, on occasion, you may need the extra bogie grounding termianl sets in the 72020/01, and not all coaches of every issue were included with the conducting base plate to make contact with the A shaped coupler contact spring/terminals. In fact older S bahn cars don't even accept the base plates.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2022 12:18:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
True, however, on occasion, you may need the extra bogie grounding termianl sets in the 72020/01, and not all coaches of every issue were included with the conducting base plate to make contact with the A shaped coupler contact spring/terminals. In fact older S bahn cars don't even accept the base plates.

You can also get those grounding springs as a seperate 10 pack. But as to the OPs problem, the coaches in the title don't have the coupler pockets for conducting couplings, they have the original metal coupling as an integral part of the bogie.

Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2022 13:03:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If the coaches can not take current conducting couplers then I would just use the battery lights which saves the sliders and springs and the coaches will run better withpot the drag of the springs. I have used Train Tech lighting on some coaches and they work well.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline ocram63_uk  
#12 Posted : 23 December 2022 09:38:12(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
@David, Train Tech! I recall they did battery operated lighting strips that also had movement switches. In other words the lights go on when the coach starts moving. I'll look into them again.
Thank you
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 23 December 2022 09:54:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
@David, Train Tech! I recall they did battery operated lighting strips that also had movement switches. In other words the lights go on when the coach starts moving. I'll look into them again.
Thank you

Lights go on with movement and stay on for several minutes when the train stops. Battery lasts for a long time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 23 December 2022 12:31:40(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I've used Train Tech lighting. Just stuck the strips into the inside of the roofs with Blu tack. They've been there for a couple of years now. Batteries cheap on the internet. In empty coaches I put a strip of white paper on the floor to reflect up some light.