Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline streetmagick  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2003 21:45:42(UTC)
streetmagick

When I purchased my first Marklin digital starter set. I was under the impression that I had all the components for a completely digital train set which I could hook up to my computer. Then from my computer, I could perform all sorts of automated activities including automated engines, switches and accesories. Boy was I in La-La Land.
It appears I have to buy various decoders, motors, keyboards, software, interfaces and who knows what else. What are the stages or big picture to move towards my dream of a fully computerized Marklin digital model railroad layout? Any information or directions will bne greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance.
Tom Williams

I'm new to model railoading thogh I'm fascinated by frieght yards and rail ports, such as, the 72nd St. Freight yard of the hudson river in nyc.
I'm new to model railoading thogh I'm fascinated by frieght yards and rail ports, such as, the 72nd St. Freight yard of the hudson river in nyc.
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2003 22:18:02(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
If your goal is a computer controlled layout (i.e. not a manually controlled digital layout), the first thing you should add is a computer interface (6051). You will also need a control program on the PC. There are lots of different programs available, see "Links & Downloads" on this site. This together with the 6021 control unit and the transformer from the starter set will be all control equipment you need to control the digital locos from the starter set with your computer. If you want to control turnouts too, you need decoders and turnout motors in them, but you don't need any further control equipment as long as the total power is sufficient.