Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2022 02:33:44(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Hello to everybody:

I need information about how to set Marklin C track automation. Thank you in advance
My best regards to all of you.

Carlos
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2022 08:05:52(UTC)
H0

Hi!
You can use circuit tracks and switch tracks.
For better answers, please share what you want to achieve. Analogue? Digital?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Carlos  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2022 12:31:46(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Hi Tom, your right, is to use with my central station 3+ in digital. I want to have one section with lights automation. Thank you, regards,
Carlos
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2022 13:51:36(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
YouTube has a number of instructional videos on that subject. Not sure what exactly you want to accomplish but I would guess that you need an M84 and some kind of track sensor. The simplest is a circuit track but the most common is a contact track.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2022 20:01:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Hi Tom, your right, is to use with my central station 3+ in digital. I want to have one section with lights automation. Thank you, regards,
Carlos

Get yourself a copy of the 03093 book on the cs3, and it will guide you through a lot of this.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2022 20:40:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Carlos

Like my friends, I am not sure about what you need.
Here is a video explaining how to use a CS3 to operate your trains automatically

Also, once you get more experience on train (digital) control, then the next step is a PC control software (Rocrail or its equivalents)
So, if you start with digital, it is for a little later but PC control brings a leap forwards compared to digital, similar to the leap of going from analog to digital.
Just look at the video below of what is possible with digital + PC control

If I mention this PC control, it is because:
- wiring is simplified
- possibilities are immense (huge compared with what you can do with an Ecos or a CS3)
- cost is small and even lower in some cases (Using Rocrail, your laptop and a CAT 5 (Ethernet) cable+ donation to rocrail of the amount you whish, WHEN your wish.
- How could cost be so low? Because, with Rocrail, you don't need signals, relays, slow down sections. All this is done by Rocrail. Signals are cosmetic so you add them when you wish and only in visible sections
- layout arrangement is a little different: train detection, no stop sections, no slow-down sections
- If you like automation, this is the way to go.

The big difference between a control with a CS3 / Ecos and a PC control is:
- PC control knows in real time where each of your trains and wagons are and can direct trains depending on type of train (electric/ diesel /Steam, Main road, local train)
- Because of this PC control can send direct digital orders to start / stop trains without requiring insulated track sections and signals
- PC control generates all the routes and interlockings (incompatible routes). All you need doing is enter the track plan.
- PC control can provide Aquarium mode or Scheduled mode or a combination. Aquarium: trains runs where permitted in random mode. Schedule: trains run according to schedules and times.

I hope this helps
Jean

Edited by user 10 December 2022 02:09:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Carlos  
#7 Posted : 10 December 2022 19:29:33(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Carlos

Like my friends, I am not sure about what you need.
Here is a video explaining how to use a CS3 to operate your trains automatically

Also, once you get more experience on train (digital) control, then the next step is a PC control software (Rocrail or its equivalents)
So, if you start with digital, it is for a little later but PC control brings a leap forwards compared to digital, similar to the leap of going from analog to digital.
Just look at the video below of what is possible with digital + PC control

If I mention this PC control, it is because:
- wiring is simplified
- possibilities are immense (huge compared with what you can do with an Ecos or a CS3)
- cost is small and even lower in some cases (Using Rocrail, your laptop and a CAT 5 (Ethernet) cable+ donation to rocrail of the amount you whish, WHEN your wish.
- How could cost be so low? Because, with Rocrail, you don't need signals, relays, slow down sections. All this is done by Rocrail. Signals are cosmetic so you add them when you wish and only in visible sections
- layout arrangement is a little different: train detection, no stop sections, no slow-down sections
- If you like automation, this is the way to go.

The big difference between a control with a CS3 / Ecos and a PC control is:
- PC control knows in real time where each of your trains and wagons are and can direct trains depending on type of train (electric/ diesel /Steam, Main road, local train)
- Because of this PC control can send direct digital orders to start / stop trains without requiring insulated track sections and signals
- PC control generates all the routes and interlockings (incompatible routes). All you need doing is enter the track plan.
- PC control can provide Aquarium mode or Scheduled mode or a combination. Aquarium: trains runs where permitted in random mode. Schedule: trains run according to schedules and times.

I hope this helps
Jean

Hi John, thank you very much for your help, yes, what I want to do is an automation of trains, traffic lights and etc. I was watching the videos you recommended, and the truth is that they are very interesting and explicit. This weekend I'm going to focus on those videos.
Thank you very much,

greetings,
Carlos

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carlos
Offline Carlos  
#8 Posted : 10 December 2022 19:33:47(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Carlos

Get yourself a copy of the 03093 book on the cs3, and it will guide you through a lot of this.

Hi,Very interesting this book, I will take it into account.

Thank you, Regards.

Carlos

Offline cintrans  
#9 Posted : 10 December 2022 19:53:11(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi Jean

Like Carlos, i found your info on Rocrail very interesting.
I did a quick search and found some tutorials on it, but most of them explain you the software part but not the hardware setup.

Like how do you hook up your track to the PC? How does the software know where the train is on the track? Do you still need a cs, s88, contact rails and similar stuff for that?

My apologies if these are "dumb" questions, but I am fairly new at digital myself and always in the market to learn new things!

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2022 21:14:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jean Pierre
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post

I did a quick search and found some tutorials on it, but most of them explain you the software part but not the hardware setup.

Like how do you hook up your track to the PC? How does the software know where the train is on the track? Do you still need a cs, s88, contact rails and similar stuff for that?

No dumb question.
The set-up is
- cs3 (60226) powered by 60101
- Ethernet cable between the CS3 and the PC. Manual IP adresses. Alternately a WiFi router can be connected in-between
- because I use a Turntable with DSD2010 decoder and many tracks, I have an RS232 link between the PC and the decoder. In most cases this RS232 link is not needed

Cheers
Jean

Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2022 22:00:27(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Hi Jean

My apologies if these are "dumb" questions, but I am fairly new at digital myself and always in the market to learn new things!

Regards
Jean-Pierre

To add to Jean's answer, I use CAN Digital Bahn devices to hook a Märklin Trackbox with the computer, so I do not need a CS. Instead of s88's, I use CAN Digital's devices to sense traffic on contact rails. There are further alternatives, including DIY apparoches.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline einotuominen  
#12 Posted : 11 December 2022 16:40:04(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi Jean

Regards
Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I made a video on how to connect Rocrail to your layout with Mobile Station 2. This is extremely cheap way to do it using Can Digital Bahn, also mentioned by Martti above.

This is what you need for computer control. However, if you want to do computer automation, you will need a few more things: Contact tracks (can easily be selfmade, or bought from Märklin) and ground detector devices. If you wan't to go with Can Digital Bahn, the product is Gleisreporter Deluxe. You will also need Startpunkt 2 device to connect everything together. But this is for automation. Manual control with computer, everything in my video above is enough and cost under 100 €.

BR,
-Eino

Offline cintrans  
#13 Posted : 11 December 2022 16:49:32(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jean

Regards
Jean-Pierre

To add to Jean's answer, I use CAN Digital Bahn devices to hook a Märklin Trackbox with the computer, so I do not need a CS. Instead of s88's, I use CAN Digital's devices to sense traffic on contact rails. There are further alternatives, including DIY apparoches.

Thank you Martti & Jean for the insights!

I recently got a ESU Ecos2 and that's why i am now looking into a little "automation".... a "shuttle train" looks like something fairly easy to realize
Unfortunately it looks like the CAN feedback module is not compatible with Ecos according to the CAN website.
So it seems the RM-88-N kit (I like DIY stuff!) might be worth looking into...
Any toughts on this?

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 11 December 2022 20:47:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jean Pierre
Sorry I have no experience using the ESU ECoS detector.
Chances are it is better to stick with the family to avoid troubles, I think
I am a big fan of the Märklin family of products.
Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2022 19:24:07(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   

I recently got a ESU Ecos2 and that's why i am now looking into a little "automation".... a "shuttle train" looks like something fairly easy to realize
Unfortunately it looks like the CAN feedback module is not compatible with Ecos according to the CAN website.
So it seems the RM-88-N kit (I like DIY stuff!) might be worth looking into...
Any toughts on this?

Regards
Jean-Pierre

If you wish to do automatic control with a conputer software, like Rocrail, the feedback system can be a different from the command station that powers your track. In Rocrail you can have several interfaces (to my understanding, haven’t tried myself) so you can send commands through Ecos2 and receive feedback info with something else.

However, this will lock out the option to do everything with Ecos2 later on, if you wish to ditch computer control.

Jean is absolutely correct in terms of keeping your mental helth by doing everything with one brand of devices.