Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2022 01:12:52(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I have experienced a rather odd scenario perhaps someone understands.

I use Lenz LS150 DCC decoders with 6 outputs for controlling Marklin solenoid motors. They come factory address 1-6 and you change address by pressing the button and then when you next activate a turnout on the address you want, the decoder accepts it is the first address.

Ie. press LS150 button, LED on, activate turnout on address 449 and the decoder takes 449 -454 as its 6 addresses and LED goes out.

Nice and easy.

Now I've bought 2 more of these for additional turnouts in my storage, first decoder I set address 449-454 straight away, all working.

However for the second decoder, I press the LED to change address but the LED does not go out after activating address 455. I try many different addresses at random but no matter what I try it does not accept any change.
I power cycle, decoder still activates on default address 1-6. I note however that on address 1 it sometimes does not respond to the command and takes a few presses.

I try factory reset, setting individual address for turnouts etc. but nothing works. You're thinking the decoder is faulty right? Me too!

I have experienced weird issues like this before with CS2 so decided last test I will try my ESU lokprogrammer.

I fire it up and just go to turnout control panel, activate programming mode and hey presto! Immediately accepts 455 as address. Always responds to all commands on 455-460.

I need to test the LS150 tonight with my CS2 but I am confident it will work without problem.

So the question is, which is to blame? The CS2 which does have a lot of decoders interacting with it - and yet the first LS150 programmed and worked instantly in the same scenario without problems.
The decoder then? Yet the LS150 worked flawlessly with the ESU lokprogrammer.

I wondered at issues with DCC primary/secondary addressing but note that the second LS150 would not accept any address in programming mode, including the same address that worked fine for the first LS150.

At least I have saved myself shipping a working decoder back to Germany.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2022 09:00:41(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Well I tested it with the CS2 and found that while the address change did work (as expected) it is still suffering from intermittently failing to recognize commands.
I have no choice but to return it then, even if it tests OK with lokprogrammer it is of no use if it is not reliable with the CS2.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2022 13:23:10(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Eric,

Just a suggestion: You're in the middle of a block of 4 addresses, with value 455;
Maybe the CS2 has been designed referring to K83, which addresses block of 4 consecutive addresses ? and it is possible the CS considers 455 and 456 are also reserved...

Try address 457 with the CS2...

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2022 16:08:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
It is also possible that using the cs2 in multiprotocol mode creates a signal that confuses the LS150 at that address due to the waveform shape of the digital signal. Marklin had some problems with this in the very early days with some m83 decoders getting confused with the loco control messages.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan