Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pronto5  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2022 00:48:37(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Hi,

I am still learning slowly about the myriad of brands out there for model trains. It is formidably difficult to find very very basic information from original manufacturer sites also. I have a science background (but more in social and biological/chemical) so I know how to ask basic questions and not finding the answers is a real waste of time.

For example, I STILL don't know (nor understand fully), if Roco and Brawa have 2-track DCC and if their AC lokos (if any) work only on 3-track like on Marklin C-track. Is there such thing as 2-track AC? My setup includes EZ-track by Bachmann which is 2-track DC std. I wanted to run Roco and/or Brawa on this 2-track by getting a controller such as (maybe) an "50210 ECOS - ESU COMMAND STATION, 120V" (I'm in North America). It seems though, that the Brawa has AC for Marklin's C-track so this may be sufficient. But what does Roco run on? I'm quite lost here - 2 or 3-track? I think it's because I'm confused about how AC works. I thought the 3rd track on the Marklin C-track was a "ground" only.

Sorry for these very basic questions, but even books cannot really answer my questions since they also cover a certain "agenda" of topics and that's it.

Any information is welcome.
Thanks.

Can (John)
Montreal, Canada
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2022 01:12:57(UTC)
Copenhagen

Others will soon chime in much more detailed, but if you already have 2 track equipment you don't wanna get into Maerklin 3 track stuff. Today it isn't really AC, it's just called that because it avoids confusion (of course there are still lots of Maerklin users with the old AC transformers) but when digital both 2 and 3 track use the same power system.

The difference is that Maerklin have a pickup shoe that gets power from a middle rail so that both tracks for the wheels have a common ground. Whereas 2 track has power in one of the tracks and ground in the other.

Roco, Brawa, Piko, Esu and what else have lots of 2 track locomotives, they'll usually be called DC (after the old system with direct current/ positive/negative) even though they run digital DCC. These brands also offer 3 track locomotives, usually named AC. Also Maerklin have their Trix line which is 2 track.

As a side note ESU locos often come ready made for both 2 and 3 track because the slider can be removed so that the engine switches from 2 track to 3 track. For other brands you'll have to buy a specific AC or DC locomotive.

On locomotives 2 track types will have wheels/axles isolated from each other. 3 track will have unisolated wheels so that the current from the middle shoe can flow through the decoder and motor to both sides. Cars and waggon for 2 track must have isolated wheels in order not to short circuit. Cars and waggons from Maerklin will usually have unisolated wheel sets, but you can run rolling stock from 2 track companies (like Roco, Brawa etc.) on Maerklin tracks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Pronto5  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2022 01:49:00(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Others will soon chime in much more detailed, but if you already have 2 track equipment you don't wanna get into Maerklin 3 track stuff. Today it isn't really AC, it's just called that because it avoids confusion (of course there are still lots of Maerklin users with the old AC transformers) but when digital both 2 and 3 track use the same power system.

*OK, the digital remark helps. I also do have a Marklin 3-track C-track system as mentioned on my subject line only. I also noticed that Roco has "Marklin AC digital" lokos, so that should be clear enough. Brawa and Piko have so-called "AC digital" versions like these links: https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/Brawa/BR43813 and https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/Roco/R-79976 - are these Marklin C-track (3-track) compatible?

And thanks for the explanations about AC, DCC and 2 versus 3-track.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2022 10:00:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
These days manufacturers usually write "DC" for two-rail locos and "AC" for three-rail locos.
All "AC" locos produced these days are digital, but also work on analogue layouts. "AC" on the box of rolling stock means "for the Märklin system", including C track. Older items may be analogue.
Locos for "DC" are not always digital, but usually are "digital ready" and a decoder can simply be plugged in.

Many folks used Märklin tracks for DC operation, but I don't think that locos for that type of operation were ever massproduced.

Avoid Trix Express locos - that's a completely different three-rail system.

With respect to cars and coaches: so-called "DC" wheelsets from Piko and Liliput will derail on Märklin C track, so make sure to get "AC" wheelsets for them or adjust the wheelspacing.
So-called "AC" wheelsets will short circuit the "DC" tracks.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline STE-BM  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2022 21:47:00(UTC)
STE-BM

United Kingdom   
It’s also possible that you can find a DC loco that can be easily converted to AC by adding a pickup shoe and changing a few connections.
I’m not providing all details here how to do it, just so you know it’s an option. Guides are available online.
Some brands produce models for both AC and DC but often there aren’t many in stock for AC, conversions are a way not to miss out.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by STE-BM
Offline Pronto5  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2022 21:53:42(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: STE-BM Go to Quoted Post
It’s also possible that you can find a DC loco that can be easily converted to AC by adding a pickup shoe and changing a few connections.
I’m not providing all details here how to do it, just so you know it’s an option. Guides are available online.
Some brands produce models for both AC and DC but often there aren’t many in stock for AC, conversions are a way not to miss out.

Thank-you STE-BM, you and everyone on this site are very sympathetic and helpful! I am glad to be part of this forum and hopefully one day, I will know enough to be able to give some advice to others myself. Smile I did see some posts about conversion of DC to AC lokos, yes. It seems like the lokos that I like are usually available in a format that I can use though. Thanks again.