Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2022 12:17:20(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2022 22:24:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
This is a 1938 "film noir" by excellence, extracted from the Emile Zola book, La Bête Humaine is about human nature polluted by excessive drinking upon generation makes a man to kill the woman he loves. (Not a very funny subject but still great because of the social description of the rail world in those days
One attractive aspect of la bête humaine is the detailed description of the train environment, of the train practices.

2:12 into the video you can see the water scooping operation.

A water reservoir located between the rails is emptied into the tender by way of a scoop lowered at the appropriate time and removed (raised) before the end of the "bac". This is the large lever Gabin is instructing to lower and pulling the chain himself to raise it.
This allowed the train to continue without stopping for longer train raides and was also common practice in the UK.

The movie also describes lubricating responsibility on friction bearings of the distribution gear. When a bearing is heating then there is a financial penalty to the driving team to pay for its replacement
The movie is also great (at least to me) because I know both extremity stations (Paris Saint Lazare and Le Havre) and seeing them 90 years ago is fascinating.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2022 05:13:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
That is the best movie ever for a railway scene (in my opinion).
If I remember correctly the opening sequence (on board the cab and footplate of an SNCF 231) goes for a full 20 minutes and is so realistic you almost feel the grime of the job.

I am unable to reveal how i came to see this cinematography.
That movie was banned by the Government censor from showing in Australia in 1938 (because it would undermine the morals of our sensitive population) and as far as I know the ban has never been lifted.
It has never been shown publicly in Australia.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow