Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bill L  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2022 09:01:03(UTC)
Bill L

United States   

Between and 8:00 and 9:00 AM swiss time, you can see a lot of trains arriving and departing the Zurich HBF main train station.

If anyone has links to webcam for stations in German, I would like to see their website.
I used to have a weblink for trains arriving and departing Amsterdam Central station, if anyone has it, please post. Thanks.
thanks 19 users liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2022 15:32:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Very interesting, than'ks for posting it!
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2022 02:40:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bill L Go to Quoted Post

Between and 8:00 and 9:00 AM swiss time, you can see a lot of trains arriving and departing the Zurich HBF main train station.

If anyone has links to webcam for stations in German, I would like to see their website.
I used to have a weblink for trains arriving and departing Amsterdam Central station, if anyone has it, please post. Thanks.

The trains are on a schedule, some every 30 minutes, some every hour and some every two hours, so there is action all day and night long.

As far as Station (Bahnhof) webcams, this is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/...rch_query=webcam+bahnhof

or maybe: http://eisenbahnlivecam.de

Regards

Mike C

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2022 06:44:56(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Great entertainment! ThumpUp I get the perception that the trains are longer now, than when I was working frequently in Zürich around 1998-2004? Passenger trains with approx. 14 cars are not that unusual. A smart strategy to manage train line congestion, but there could be long platform walks for their passengers… Blink
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Online Eurobahnfan  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2022 18:02:07(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Great… now I’ll NEVER get any work done today 🤣. (If you’re a space nerd, you can also follow the live feed from the ISS: we usually track it through an app on the IPad and watch the live feed as it comes overhead.)

Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2022 18:27:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I get the perception that the trains are longer now, than when I was working frequently in Zürich around 1998-2004? Passenger trains with approx. 14 cars are not that unusual. A smart strategy to manage train line congestion, but there could be long platform walks for their passengers… Blink

I know that the trains to Italy were often shorter. Milano's platforms could handle a maximum of 7 coaches in the 70s-90s. For that reason, many trains to Italy from Switzerland, Germany and points north and west would leave coaches at the Swiss border station, leaving only the 7 coach core to continue on into Italy.
In the late 1990s, modifications were made in Zurich and many cities to allow longer trains, many of which now have up to 14 coaches. As far as Zurich was concerned, this was to open up additional platforms for long trains, especially multiple units of ICE, TGV, Cisalpino and the (then) new ICN.

This was also taken into account in the design of the new underground platforms in Zurich.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jcrtrains  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2022 16:57:11(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I had not seen this before. I find Zurich station fascinating and always try and spend as much time in it as I can with the most recent trip being this past June. This is a great angle and is my new favorite time waster.

A pair of questions for some of the knowledgeable Swiss team.

1) Re 450's only run with three carriages. Was this the original design point? Is there a reason they can't be extended to five or more for rush hour?
2) I do not see any SZU on this webcam in spite of the fact that they have dedicated platforms (22,23 if memory serves) that are very busy. Does SZU go through an extended tunnel not seen in this particular webcam?

Thanks
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 29 September 2022 04:17:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
I had not seen this before. I find Zurich station fascinating and always try and spend as much time in it as I can with the most recent trip being this past June. This is a great angle and is my new favorite time waster.

A pair of questions for some of the knowledgeable Swiss team.

1) Re 450's only run with three carriages. Was this the original design point? Is there a reason they can't be extended to five or more for rush hour?
2) I do not see any SZU on this webcam in spite of the fact that they have dedicated platforms (22,23 if memory serves) that are very busy. Does SZU go through an extended tunnel not seen in this particular webcam?

Thanks

The Re 450 consists were designed to be made up of the locomotive, one AB, one B and the Bt Pilot coach. In peak hours, two trainsets could be coupled together.
Due to increased demand/traffic, the B coaches were replaced with newer versions with low level doors and the original B coaches were muted over to operation as longer consists with a pair of Re 420s in the current "Lion" livery, which operate on certain routes during peak hours.

Sihltalbahn runs out of dedicated underground tracks which are not connected to the SBB lines at the station. The Sihltalbahn line is diagonal to the main SBB lines.

You can see the entrances to the Museumstrasse (front) and Lowenstrasse (back) underground stations in the video.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c