Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2022 15:48:39(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hello,

Hopefully someone can bring light to this, since I'm pre beginner in electronics.

I've been googling for this, but can't seem to find a direct answer. I understand the answer can not be that exact, but here's the question anyways:

How many locomotives can be run simultaneously with the 60116 track box that came with one of the digital starter sets? And by running I mean moving at the same time... Or does it matter if some trains are stationary (for example at shadow station), do they still consume current? Most of the turnouts are connected to m83 so I have the option to use separate power supply on those. Only couple of turnouts are using track current.

I'm planning to build automated control using the CAN Digital Bahn components together with Rocrail software. The Can Digital Bahn can easily be connected to 60116 but I don't want to waste money if it later turns our that I can only have couple of locos.

Thank you so much!

BR,

-Eino
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2022 16:52:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The rating for the 60116 is 1.9 A.
A running loco will consume between about 0.2 A and 1.5 A, depending on its configuration (type of motor, sound, smoke generator, light bulbs).
Locos standing on the track will consume at least 0.02 A - more if llights, sound or smoke are on.
Turnout decoders and other decoders will also consume about 0.02 A.

Two high-power trains can already be too much, while six low-power trains are no problem.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2022 17:14:22(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Ok!

Thank you. Almost all locos are to run with replacement engines (not sure yet which ones) and only led headlights. No sounds.

So I imagine I can easily have 2-3 running locos and around 4 stand by locos… Huh Currently I do have 2 locos running so at least those work. I think I should be able to add stand by locos…

Edit: Can I measure the amp consumption with multimeter from the tracks?

BR,
-Eino
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2022 17:22:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Edit: Can I measure the amp consumption with multimeter from the tracks?
The MS2 can display the load of the 60116 - check the Information menu.

The readings of simple multimeters are usually useless as they are made for clean sinewave AC or DC. But checking the power consumption of the 60116 should give quite good results even with cheap multimeters.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2022 18:01:58(UTC)
Goofy

If you use external power feeder 60822 and 66360 for the switch decoder m83 and function decoder m84 you save power consumption for the trains.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline einotuominen  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2022 18:08:31(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

Ah, I checked the current with the MS2 and with two locos running about 75% speed with headlights on, I could barely get the meter to 0,5 amps. It stayed on 0,4 most of the time, even on up hills.

So I assume that adding maybe 5 stand-by locos would still keep the amps within 1,9 limit.

Best regards,
-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2022 21:57:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, do not excede the reccomended amperage imit of the MS2's wall power pack! I was told an MS2 can run up to 5 sound Loco's. I wouldn't want to toggle between them controlling speeds or functions though.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2022 06:54:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
So I assume that adding maybe 5 stand-by locos would still keep the amps within 1,9 limit.
0.2 A is the expected power consumption for a "plain vanilla" loco running at moderate speed, so five or six trains can easily be achieved.

I have seen 0.6 A with a Märklin loco with light bulb, sound, 60901 motor, and smoke generator running with lights, sounds, and smoke on. Three such locos may be OK.

My eight-coach ICE 3 is at 1 A - standing on the track with lights on. It reaches 1.5 A when running at full speed.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline einotuominen  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2022 07:00:59(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thank you everyone!

I will post an update here how everything went when I finally have all set up somewhere in the future.

Best regards,
-Eino
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen