Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2022 15:41:59(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Now that I am clear on the Marklin 2270 being digital ready, I will use it in my fiddle yard under baseboard, I am wondering about using servos for it on my main line?

Has anyone altered it, since Marklin offers no options without the solenoid, for servo use, which I am using for all turnout that are visible on my layout?
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2022 23:51:01(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Now that I am clear on the Marklin 2270 being digital ready, I will use it in my fiddle yard under baseboard, I am wondering about using servos for it on my main line?

Has anyone altered it, since Marklin offers no options without the solenoid, for servo use, which I am using for all turnout that are visible on my layout?

The 2270 has its motors fixed to the turnout, they are not detachable like the other K track turnouts. I am sure it could be done though.

However there is no reason to convert it to servo drive because once you bridge the limit switches, the Marklin solenoid motors are 100% reliable. I did this to all my K track turnouts in storage yards and have had 0 failures in 6 years.
I did convert my K track turnouts for servo drive on the visible areas of my layout, though that was purely for aesthetic reasons only. Since yours is also in a fiddle yard then I see no reason why you'd do it.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2022 00:17:31(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have converted all of my K track turnouts to servos as well except for the 3 ways. I left them with their built-in solenoid drives and have never had an issue. However, since I use reed switches and magnets I do have an issue with the 2270 3 ways lifting the moveable points up when the magnet passes and creating a short. I have had to epoxy on 2 thin and narrow styrene strips below the rail, one on each moveable piece so that it still freely moves but will not lift. Works like a charm but was very tedious.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2022 04:02:15(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks for the help guys.

I like the slow motion of the servos rather than the snap of the solenoid hence my inquiry.

In the none visible area of my layout I am using c-track with Viessmann motor. I guess I will try to avoid the 3 way then in the k-track area.
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2022 05:32:51(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Sorry I guess this is OT but curious if others have had similar problems with C-track 3way switches?
(no movable points) or if anyone felt the need to put in servos for a C-track switch.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2022 07:18:19(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the help guys.

I like the slow motion of the servos rather than the snap of the solenoid hence my inquiry.

In the none visible area of my layout I am using c-track with Viessmann motor. I guess I will try to avoid the 3 way then in the k-track area.

Ah sorry I mis-understood, you wanted servos mounted underneath but your fiddle board is visible.

In that case yes I can see you wanting to go with servos. You're only option is to remove the solenoid motors and see how the mechanism works so you can attach a servo rod through a hole.
It's all custom work but I have no doubt it is possible.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2022 08:08:34(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry I guess this is OT but curious if others have had similar problems with C-track 3way switches?
(no movable points) or if anyone felt the need to put in servos for a C-track switch.

I think I'm the only person who will confess to converting all the c track turnout motors to servos. Some say that destroying the microswitches resolves the problem of the motors working - I've tried that and had very little success. When your layout has over 80 turnouts and you're using software to control the trains, a turnout failure is a road to disaster. This is my honest opinion.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 08 September 2022 15:33:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post

I think I'm the only person who will confess to converting all the c track turnout motors to servos. Some say that destroying the microswitches resolves the problem of the motors working - I've tried that and had very little success. When your layout has over 80 turnouts and you're using software to control the trains, a turnout failure is a road to disaster. This is my honest opinion.

What I've found with the micro switches, if you solder them to the solder points with too much heat they lose the spring action and it looks like Märklin hasn't discovered this as yet but I agree get rid of the solenoid switches and install servo motors, the other benefit with servo motors is when the power is off, the arm can't move whereas with solenoid switches there is nothing there to prevent the arm of moving., the same goes for me for the switchen tracks, another disaster area in the making.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode