Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GenDemo  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2022 01:20:52(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Hi All

I dont know if this has been asked before - if so, please point me in that direction.

I am not a very technically knowledgeable person around the digital aspect of the Marklin trains. Its all a bit over my head.

I have a 6021 Control Unit - and it works perfectly fine. But I recently purchased some newer locos (mfx), and though they operate fine, I have been wondering if I shouldnt get an MS2 controller. I have seen/read that people use these together so that you can control 2 locos at the same time (this is my understanding anyway).
I am considering buying a 29000 starter set, as it is very good value for money and I get the controller with a transformer and some tracks - then I dont need to worry about sourcing the controller and the transformer separately.

My question(s) is - could someone guide me (or send me a guide) in how do I set these two controllers up together? Can I do this? What else do I need apart from the controllers themselves? Do I just connect both transformers and controllers to the track (I have a 52VA transformer with the 6021 Control Unit).

I would greatly appreciate you help and guidance.

Best Regards
GD
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2022 01:29:03(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Whatever you do DO NOT connect both controllers straight to the track!

If there is a way to use both together it will be by connecting them through some form of adaptor that makes one a master and the other a slave.

Please wait until someone can give you the correct instructions before connecting as digital components tend to go pop easily.

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2022 00:04:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
You cannot connect a 6021 to an ms2 (or vice versa). There is no way to do it.

Marklin do make an adapter to use a 6021 and its accessories with a cs2 or cs3. But that is an expensive way to go.

You can use two or more ms2 controllers (up to 10 IIRC) with one track box. You can use two with the basic track box, and then by using an additional adapter you can add more. In practice the limit becomes the current available from the track box to control trains - a practical limit is around 4-5 trains (depending on how much coach lighting or sounds you have switched on).

However it is possible to access many of the functions (up to 16 functions) of an mfx loco on a 6021. There was a thread about this just recently.

Each block of 4 functions occupy a loco address, so if you have a large number of locos the address space gets used up pretty quick. And as to controlling more than one loco at once a 6021 can have additional 6036 control 80f units attached as additional controllers. You will need to get these from eBay or some other second hand source as the manuacture of these stopped many years ago.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline GenDemo  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2022 00:11:51(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
You cannot connect a 6021 to an ms2 (or vice versa). There is no way to do it.

Marklin do make an adapter to use a 6021 and its accessories with a cs2 or cs3. But that is an expensive way to go.

You can use two or more ms2 controllers (up to 10 IIRC) with one track box. You can use two with the basic track box, and then by using an additional adapter you can add more. In practice the limit becomes the current available from the track box to control trains - a practical limit is around 4-5 trains (depending on how much coach lighting or sounds you have switched on).

However it is possible to access many of the functions (up to 16 functions) of an mfx loco on a 6021. There was a thread about this just recently.

Each block of 4 functions occupy a loco address, so if you have a large number of locos the address space gets used up pretty quick. And as to controlling more than one loco at once a 6021 can have additional 6036 control 80f units attached as additional controllers. You will need to get these from eBay or some other second hand source as the manuacture of these stopped many years ago.

Thank you. That is a good reply.
The diagrams and such that I’ve seen must have been with the Central Stations then.

By track box, I take it you mean the transformer?

I have 6 trains with no other lighting or other functions. However only two trains running at once, a third shunting at times.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2022 00:32:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GenDemo Go to Quoted Post

Thank you. That is a good reply.
The diagrams and such that I’ve seen must have been with the Central Stations then.

By track box, I take it you mean the transformer?

I have 6 trains with no other lighting or other functions. However only two trains running at once, a third shunting at times.

No problem, it is always good to make sure people get correct accurate information rather than something that sounds correct but is wrong.

The 29000 kit contains three items besides track.

There is the ms2 itself.
There is a "transformer" - it is actually a 'wall wart' style switched mode power supply like come with cell phones or other equipment.
Then there is the 'track box' that connects all the bits together. It has two sockets on it for ms2 controllers to plug into it. There is another socket for the power supply to plug into. Then there is a pair of wires that connect to the track. The track box contains the 'booster' that the ms2 requires to generate the signal that goes to the track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan