Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2022 06:43:45(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Most every layout I have seen being constructed on videos always seem to lay out trackwork and afterwards add in the scenery, structures, buildings, etc. Do you know if anyone has done it in reverse? That is to start with a landscape and fit the trackwork to suit the landscape. In the real world, that is how a railroad is built. the tracks route around, go through whatever obstacle stands in the way. It would seem a logical way to build a model layout. Outdoor model railroads operate this way. It would seem easier to fit the trackwork to the terrain than to fit the terrain to the layout. What are your thoughts on this?
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2022 07:43:19(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
My layout had to fit in a room and a car. The joins in the layout dictated how the track would be laid, square across the joins.

But basically track, wiring, catenary, gradients, clearances, roads, buildings and growies were all designed simultaneously. Then I had a master set of plans with RLs (relative level) drawn at Z gauge scale so I could transfer all the data to the 3 dimensional layout.

I did spend a lot of time drawing the layout, but it all worked out perfectly, didn't have to do any modifications.

For every minute you get your master plan right, you will avoid wasted time 10 fold.

An easy way to get your drawing dimensions onto a baseboard, is get a box of carbon paper and place on the baseboard. Place your master plan over the top, tape down in a few places, trace over all the dimensions.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2022 13:16:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Most every layout I have seen being constructed on videos always seem to lay out trackwork and afterwards add in the scenery, structures, buildings, etc. Do you know if anyone has done it in reverse? That is to start with a landscape and fit the trackwork to suit the landscape.

I understand this is how Brima design the layouts they build.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2022 14:00:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
To iron out problems I built this Z gauge model of a proposed layout at 1:10 scale of Z gauge, or in other words 1:2200 scale.

There are nine 1200mm long modules. Two ends, double module station plus other intermediate modules.

_MG_0870_095356.jpg
Offline Mr. Ron  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2022 19:43:00(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Toosmall; I don't think your miniature module layout would address my views on layout planning. I want to approach a layout design as If I were a surveyor looking for the best route for a rail line. I think it would be so much easier and enjoyable to conquer the terrain like the trail blazers of the American West did. At least for me, I find it very difficult to add terrain to an already established track plan. I have never heard or seen a layout planned in this fashion. Maybe the mega layouts like the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany used my layout planning ideas. I really don't see any other way but to plan the terrain first and the layout second.
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2022 22:42:36(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I suppose if one's house is built on the side of a hill then one has the foundations to conquer, but for most people they will have a room of some description which will be a box. Even then it's going to be limited space and to have a layout more than a single or double line track, things are going to have to be crammed into a small space.

That's basically why I started out with Z gauge because I didn't have the space and even then I folded up the track loop to have more rail. Layouts which have rivers deep mountains high are exaggerated because if left at the correct vertical scale they would be too boring for the lineal metres of rail.

I like high speed trains but in Z gauge the track radius would need to be 40 metres. Even a tenth of that at 4 metres is still totally impractical. Not only is track squashed in, so is the topography for an interesting layout.

This layout needed to be compressed:

https://gotthardmodell.c...britton/bericht-im-loki/