Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2022 09:00:32(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have built a Z gauge petrol tanker, but I think this would have been better. Future projects!

pic13290.jpg

_MG_7926_083942.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2022 13:25:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
I have built a Z gauge petrol tanker, but I think this would have been better. Future projects!

pic13290.jpg

Probably find he pumps septic tanks ... (ducks for cover) ... Blushing Blushing

I remember a company that cleaned out septic tanks in NZ had a tanker labelled 'Macdonalds Takeaways' as the company was Macdonalds Transport.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2022 00:58:47(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The best beer advertising Castlemaine XXXX:

Second best:

https://m.youtube.com/wa...WJk&feature=youtu.be

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Online marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2022 13:46:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think it's a 70's Holden Ute in the commercial, or is it a Ford? Just a quick view of the tailights.
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2022 14:41:14(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Ford and Holden in one sentence is asking for WW3 in Australia. In those days I bought a Peugeot, a proper car (& I had air shocks on the rear with onboard air)!

It's a Holden.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Online marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2022 15:53:08(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Holden's had much in common with Opel's. Opel is now part of PSA group, Pugeot, Citroen. Here, the Buick Regal is the Insignia.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2022 21:20:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Holden's had much in common with Opel's.

That is because they were both part of the GM group. Holdens also had significant features in common with various GM USA models (especially in the propulsion department).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2022 03:19:05(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
May 2013, around 37% of new Commodore buyers picked the V8 engine option.

All cars are a mixed bag of parts. My Land Rover was designed & built by Ford who owned LR at the time. My car has the Ford 2.0L Ecoboost petrol engine & other bits are from Volvo and Aisin transmissions are the key parts.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2022 06:20:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Jonathan
Wow superb modelling for Z gauge.it looks as good as my HO equivalent.

Holden's had much in common with Opel's. Opel is now part of PSA group, Pugeot, Citroen. Here, the Buick Regal is the Insignia.

You are so right.
Actually the last Holden Commodore built in AustraliA (I drove two of them) had an Opel base body. In recognition of that one deluxe model was badged Berlina. But Australians were used to 6 cylinders, so the Australian built engine was a Buick Starfire which was quit gutsy if a little raw.
I saw the same cars in Europe (Vauxhall in UK and Opel in Europe and Ireland).
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Online marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 11 December 2022 13:45:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh yes Kimball! In fact, after the HZ Statesman/DeVille series in 1982, the VB Commodore was Opel Rekord/Seanator based. The Holden red motor inline 6 was phased out in favor of the Buick 3800 V6 in about 1990, and I think the final Holden designed/built V8 after the early millenium for the Chevrolet LS Gen. 3
built in St. catherines Ontario.
I think my favorites are the 70's Kingswood, and DStatesman DeVille/Caprice, then the 90's. Cadillac imported the Opel 2800 platformed Catera which was the 2nd. Gen. Omega with it's 60 degree 2.5 litre V6 designed with Unigraphics software. Then Pontiac marketed the later high end Commodore with V6 and V8 as the G8, which I also liked. Chevy sold the last SS too as a high performance V8 only model. Then some Police cars were base Commodore V8 Chevrolet Caprices.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2022 01:10:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Oh yes Kimball! ... final Holden designed/built V8 after the early millenium for the Chevrolet LS Gen. 3
built in St. catherines Ontario.
I think my favorites are the 70's Kingswood, and DStatesman DeVille/Caprice, then the 90's. Cadillac imported the Opel 2800 platformed Catera which was the 2nd. Gen. Omega with it's 60 degree 2.5 litre V6 designed with Unigraphics software. Then Pontiac marketed the later high end Commodore with V6 and V8 as the G8, which I also liked. Chevy sold the last SS too as a high performance V8 only model. Then some Police cars were base Commodore V8 Chevrolet Caprices.

I would be one of the least informed people in Australia to know about the Holden specifics through the eras.
What you say is very interesting.
So Australian built Commodores went to USA?

I drove Holdens from the 1955 model through to the 199os Berlina.
They were useful if uninspiring motor cars with a 10 year life, and until about late 60s were not supplied with a radio or heater.
In the 1950s Australians found them practical for our generally poor quality roads (many gravel) and easy to repair by any DIY.
I changed over a complete (grey) motor in about 6 hours. My only help was a borrowed block and tackle.

I did test drive a second hand 1968 Kingswood V8 once.
It was the worst motor car I had ever driven - noisy in all respects and rough - it felt like I had a jet engine in a push-cart.
The second worst car I ever tested was an imported Austin A30 in which I could not sit properly and my knees turned the steering wheel.
Oh and it took 3 miles to get from 25mph to 35mph.

But at a little pretence that we are on topic, I can say that HO scale Australian road vehicles are not that easy to come by.
But I have seen 1950s to 1980s Holdens and quite a few trucks were done too.
But as for Z - well Toosmall would be one of the few in Australia doing this sort of stuff.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.