Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2022 15:57:31(UTC)
luckas

Greetings,

I'm having no success programming my CS3 with signals 76394 and 76397 (the ones with the little short circuit programming clip).

Any step by step help gratefully received.

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by luckas
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2022 16:07:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Watch youtube video by "Modeltrainfun" He's good at it. That's how I did my #76496 signal with my CS3. He also shows how to with an MS2.
Offline luckas  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2022 16:12:00(UTC)
luckas

Yes, Bo has been very useful, unfortunate for me he has not tackled this particular signal / CS3 combination. The 763xx require special programming.

Thanks though.

Anyone else?

Paul
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2022 18:08:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul
Here is the user's manual for the Märklin signals of the 763XX series
https://static.maerklin....dcd4e838a31434542179.pdf

As explained in the manual
- choose an address
- select a duration of 1000 S
- connect the signal to the digital equipment (CS2, CS3, MS1, MS2) while the signal is still in its box (Programming jumper plugged-in)
- power on (no other data traffic, only the digital equipmt and the signal)
- WITHIN 30 seconds carry-on with explanation on page 7 and 8 of the above manual
- on the CS3 you may have to open the page to edit articles and then select the tab luminous signals or wing signals - whatever is the case)

Usually this is about programming the first digital address into your signal (hence the programming jumper) and then, depending on the signal type, to:
- reserve following addresses as needed
- make a good graphic representation of your signal and its various positions

I hope this helps

Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline luckas  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2022 18:17:41(UTC)
luckas

Thanks Jean,

I've tried this process without success dozens of times. For example, with the 76394 I get the flashing signal, I select HP1 (green), it then offers me Hp2 (green / yellow) which I select, but then nothing. It stays on Hp2 until it times out to the 'demo' mode. I never get offered the option to select Sh1.

Incredibly frustrating.

Paul
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2022 18:34:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Paul
I purchased only one signal of this type 76394.
I programmed it a few times no problem on a CS1 or CS2 (I don't remember) but then it soon gave-up (some diodes wouldn't light up), so it remained like this unused, waste of money.
So on your CS3 you must pick a signal of the same type (3 addresses in my case and probably yours)
On the CS3 you must pick a signal with 3 addresses (6 positions).
You must finish the programming before the 30 second deadline. Past this time, the signal goes into demo mode.
Cheers
Jean
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2022 21:28:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul
With a CS3 you must get to a screen like this (assuming your have a complex light signal
Sans titre.png

1 must select a 1000 s duration (circled in green)
2 must select the signal near to the one you have (among the two circled in red)
3 must power on and within 30 s be able to drive the signal

Make also sure you don't have an address conflict (already used by another article)

Beyond this I don't see anything except probably that your signal is expecting the third address and never gets it because of the selected signal type
Cheers
Jean
Offline luckas  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2022 01:23:57(UTC)
luckas

Thanks again Jean,

Still no luck. I can see no reason why it does not advance beyond the first step. Programming appears normal - it offers me the first aspect, I select it, and then nothing. It then times out to demonstration mode. There's something very strange going on, perhaps related to CS3's latest software. I think I'll be returning these two signals if I have no joy this weekend. I've run out of ideas.

Paul

PS - I notice from your image above that my available choices are slightly different. The 76394 signal choice is the "scale" version only in my CS3.

Edited by user 27 August 2022 06:59:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2022 08:30:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If the underside of the logic box does not have a V2.0 sticker you are likely to have ongoing issues in a multiprotocol world.

For programming you may , temporarily, set your controller to MM ONLY mode.
For good measure check you do not have the setting to auto-start locomotives on powerup.

The units are looking for the first MM command after power is turned on (when the clip is installed)
If your controller is sending out unexpected commands (as is likely with mFXs regular polling or a setting to auto start locos) these units may get confused

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline luckas  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2022 11:20:57(UTC)
luckas

Awesome advice, thank you so much Peter - that did the trick. Both signals now working perfectly having accepted programming with mFX and DCC and auto-start locomotives temporarily disabled on the CS3 (although programming was a little hit and miss until I converted the signals to the "scale" versions in the signal selector).

The boxes have the "v2" mark on them, and I'm hoping they work from here on in.

What a nightmare. Glad it's sorted thanks to your excellent advice.

Paul
Online marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2022 14:38:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Modeltrain fun guy explanis setting at MM first.
Offline BenP  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2023 21:43:16(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Help. I am missing something. I can seemingly program the 2 functions with two key presses (4 functions total) of the 76394 V2, but they don't stay in memory of the signal. I read about a programming jumper in Jean's reply, but not sure what that is or what it looks like.
I tried with CS3 and with a older MM controller (Intellibox), which shows 2-light cycle and response that it is accepted (all leds on), then second cycle and all led response after 2nd key press (2 addresses). When I turn the unit back on, it returns to programming mode, so nothing is stored. After while it returns to showing all 4 settings in sequence (demo mode)
Suggestions?

Follow up: found answer on Dutch 3 rail forum. The decoder carton has wire that sets programming mode. Once programmed, remove carton+wire and voila. That was easy (if you know it).

Ben

Edited by user 28 February 2023 21:07:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Online marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 27 February 2023 23:51:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have a 76496 siganl not connected to another entrance, exit ot yard signal. I am not positive, but it seems that on occasion, the stop/go/shunting allowed signal aspect upon a restart of my CS3 isn't as I left it prior. Unless the blue highlight of the box on screen is denoting the wrong setting. I have it tied with a two turnout event. Also, this signal changed aspect when I had an MM decoder Loco. address set at 01, and toggled the F4 or acc. braking delay.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 01 March 2023 08:34:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
... Also, this signal changed aspect when I had an MM decoder Loco. address set at 01, and toggled the F4 or acc. braking delay.

I am unaware that Marklin have offered a fix since the last time you raised the issue
https://www.marklin-user...-upon-install#post638916

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline BenP  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2023 00:00:06(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Got the 76394 working with CS3, allowing the selection of 4 signaling options. It's quite nice, though a little delicate compared to prior solenoid signals (like 7188).
I cannot find similar one ID installation for Rocrail. It works when assigning two digital addresses (1 and 2 are default after reset, offering two signal settings each), but not a single device that controls all 4 signaling options.
There is a lengthy exchange on a German forum, but not clear what they say (and what they solve).
Anyone know the Rocrail settings for 763xx class signals ?
Ben

Edited by user 02 March 2023 20:15:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
Offline BenP  
#16 Posted : 04 March 2023 20:37:27(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
Got the 76394 working with CS3, allowing the selection of 4 signaling options. It's quite nice, though a little delicate compared to prior solenoid signals (like 7188).
I cannot find similar one ID installation for Rocrail. It works when assigning two digital addresses (1 and 2 are default after reset, offering two signal settings each), but not a single device that controls all 4 signaling options.
There is a lengthy exchange on a German forum, but not clear what they say (and what they solve).
Anyone know the Rocrail settings for 763xx class signals ?
Ben

Here's what I learned.
The 763xx signals use 2 adresses for 4 light combinations. CS3 has that specific signal option already, so easy.
Rocrail does not have such a 4 setting signal option. You can select a regular 2 setting main signal, using two preferred light combinations (like double red for stop and green+white for go slow) by selecting their digital addresses (1 red and 2 green in my setup case).
Better yet, but more involved, is adding a theme (svg) to Rocrail that allows 4 light combinations for a signal. I got the relevant file from Hermann on the Rocrail support forum, so look there: https://forum.rocrail.ne...90&p=303926#p303926. Works great.
I have installed the nice signal on my M layout, though its small LEDs are less visible than the venerable 7188 bulbs it replaces (I switched because 7188 is underpowered by k83 decoder).