Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline muhkau  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2022 16:06:15(UTC)
muhkau

United Kingdom   
Hi
Please excuse my ignorance as I am not technically minded! I connected the signals 7187 and 7188 exactly as shown in the Marklin Signal instructions 0340.
The signal is working ok, but the lights do not light up, although the bulbs are ok.
I did find that the lights show if I hold the mechanical switch on the signal???
Appreciate any advice
Thanks
Karl
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2022 16:39:05(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Did you connect the brown wire to the proper socket or signal base? That is quite often the reason why the signal switches but the lights don't light up.
Offline muhkau  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2022 17:09:23(UTC)
muhkau

United Kingdom   
Yes, I have connected the brown cable to the correct socket, as the other 2 sockets are for the the red and Green cables
Offline ccranium  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2022 01:57:53(UTC)
ccranium

Hi Karl,
I'm unsure what you mean by they light when you "hold the mechanical switch", but I've found on the old signals, the contacts for the sliders get dirty or gummy and cause problems with the solenoid moving and/or the lights not working consistently. If you take the cover off and carefully clean the contacts on the slider and the ends of the spring contacts, you may get them working again. There's no need for any lubricant in there, so clean it all out. If you're inclined, take the whole slider apart carefully and even clean the inside of the coil, the slider, and all the other pieces.

Marklin of Sweden has a good video on how to clean sliders for turnout solenoids; it's a similar function to the signals but be careful as you go so you remember how to put it back together!

Good luck!
Brian
Offline BenP  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2022 11:52:55(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: muhkau Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I have connected the brown cable to the correct socket, as the other 2 sockets are for the the red and Green cables

The yellow wire provides power to signal. It needs ground return from baseplate or a wire. Often contact at bulb base is dirty. Slide thin sandpaper in between to clean.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline 1borna  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2022 21:15:29(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
The 7188 signal has a separate small mechanical light switch that is located to the side of the solenoid actuated lever, it has a lever that can be manually changed the position of the signal. The yellow wire (L) comes to it, and the wires go to the external signal port of the 7187.
Often the opening for the bulbs can be oxidized, so it is best to remove them for mechanical cleaning and then apply contact spray