Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2022 17:01:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
In the 04/2022 Marklin Insider Club news there is a piece on a 'large' Z scale layout 'for long train jouneys' consisting of a largely unsceniced layout measuring 190 x 72 cm. But as a side item there is a piece on a Z Scale 'Wunderrad' built around a bicycle wheel.

It appears in the video of the 2019 Spur Z Convention Bad Schwartau.

The wunderrad is at 8:12. But various other spots in the video show various problems with gaps and misalignments at module joins, which are huge for Z scale, while they might be regarded as acceptable in H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2022 00:48:27(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Some huge gaps between modules, I was surprised the trains got over the rail gap.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2022 12:04:32(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well how about that. Before I got mine, I had toyed with the idea of doing one in Z but was never quite sure what I could make it out of.

That is a novel idea but even when reduced to Mini-club it's still quite prominent.

I feel it could definitely do with some 'bling' - colour, lights, something just for added effect, but that's just my personal view having made a bit of a study of them.

Thanks Alan

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2022 12:36:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Well how about that. Before I got mine, I had toyed with the idea of doing one in Z but was never quite sure what I could make it out of.

That is a novel idea but even when reduced to Mini-club it's still quite prominent.

It looks like he has used an 18" or thereabouts wheel. You wouldn't want to go much smaller or only the outer wheels of the loco would make contact with the track. It would be worth getting hold of a copy of the issue from one of your club mates to see the description of how it was done, if you are not an insider member yourself.

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

I feel it could definitely do with some 'bling' - colour, lights, something just for added effect, but that's just my personal view having made a bit of a study of them.

Thanks Alan

You are welcome. I was originally going to put it in your Wunderrad thread, but figured it was better here in its own topic.

As to adding lights etc, it wouldn't be hard when you read how the power feed was done.