Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DV  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2022 10:30:31(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Our club has a substantial number of points (left and right, three way and double slips), 72…..so far

We decided as we don’t have any young members, to control all points through our CS’s, as we didn’t want to do any crawling under the layout with km’s of cables.

What that means is that each point has the motor, decoder and light all connected to tongues on the underneath of the point.

We noticed on the CS2 when you programmed the three way it showed it as two, ie 67 & 68.

On the CS3+ it shows the three way under the one number, ie 67.

Also as the layout is that large one CS cannot control it, as the locos with sound suck the power like crazy.

So we have two boosters controlling the different track sections, ie left track one booster, right track and yard the other booster.

We also have CS2 acting as a slave, connected to the CS3+ with control box 60145, as recommended.

OK after that long explanation we finally get to the problems

We test the point on its own, it works. We test the next point on its own, it works. We join them together and they won’t work.

Yes, we changed the motor and decoder, still works on own, but not together, what I mean by that is you change point 25, nothing, you the change 26, again nothing.

The motor and decoder we took out which we thought was faulty, put in another point and it works.

The question…..is the connection of CS2 to the CS3+ as a slave causing these problems because the CS2 shows the three way as two numbers, while the CS3+ shows the three way as one number?

Does that mean that we have to redo the programming and numbering again and when going from three way to point on the CS3+ we go from 65 to 67?

Does it also mean that we have to make certain all points work on the CS2, then back it up on a USB stick and the transfer to CS3+?

Many of us don’t have much hair at our age to pull out and it is driving us crazy

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if we haven’t explained it properly, happy to supply photos, diagrams, videos to show the problem

Oh, yes, we triple checked that the switches are correct, so much so that some feel they are either going blind or batty.
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2022 14:27:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dusan
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
The question…..is the connection of CS2 to the CS3 as a slave causing these problems because the CS2 shows the three way as two numbers, while the CS3 shows the three way as one number?

If the CS2 is connected using a 60123 cable IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION (cable is NOT symetric), the answer is NO. A simple check of the triple switch powered by the CS2 should tell you if it is working. Normally in your case, the CS2 part is just a booster to the master Unit. Make sure that both the CS2 and CS3 are correctly programmed

Does that mean that we have to redo the programming and numbering again and when going from three way to point on the CS3 we go from 65 to 67?

Declaring a triple switch you must pick the address you like for the first switch (left part) and then the next address for the right part.
The CS2 is a slave and only forwarding orders it receives from the CS3 (e.g. sw65 Left, sw66 Straight).

Does it also mean that we have to make certain all points work on the CS2, then back it up on a USB stick and the transfer to CS3 ?

I think the key issue is programming the CS3 as a master and programming the CS2 as a slave
Here is the CS3 Manual https://streaming.maerkl...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf
Look at page 29 bottom left on how to connect a CS3 with a slave CS2
The CS2 must be configured as a slave as shown below (the Layout is NOT synchronized because it is NOT a CS2 to CS2 dialogue
setup-edit-CS2-Zwetgeraet.png
The answer your question, just make sure commands issued by the CS3 are correctly received by the CS2 and transmitted with one loco test and one switch test (the tripe sw 65 66

Notes: if you intend to use the CS2 not only as a slave but as a secondary command station, then you have to configure the layout (different from the one on the CS3), the sw addresses and the locos.
The triple sw differs in that TWO consecutive orders are sent to the switch with a fraction second delay.

My setup is different: I use a CS3 60226 connected (driven by) to my laptop with Rocrail through an RJ45 cable and I know by experience that in this mode, the CS3 is simply executing (transmitting) orders to the locos and switches
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
DV
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2022 14:47:41(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Not sure if this will help. All my points including the three ways are picked up by my CS3 plus and show on the screen with all the other points. All can then be part of an event just buy selecting left right or centre from the three way. I don’t have a slave but why not just use the CS3 for your points and the slave for other items.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline blid  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2022 15:54:00(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Excuse me Dusan if I am reading your post wrong but I get the impression that you think the 3-way turnout only needs one address when you use a CS3.
As far as I understand the 3-way turnouts still occupies two addresses. The address shown by your CS3 and the following (shown by the CS2). If you have another turnout with the same address as the second address of the 3-way it should move in sync with the right turnout of the 3-way - provided there is power for both of them at exactly the same time.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
DV
Offline DV  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2022 01:19:10(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Thank you Jean for your detailed explanation.

I will try your recommendations this coming Sunday, as we have our club meeting.

Thanks for your suggestions as well David.

You are reading me right Bild, but maybe I'm not exactly explaining my problem. Will take photos and videos this coming Sunday.

Stay tunedBigGrin
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'