Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Diesel2000  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2022 23:54:31(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Hello Marklin Friends,

I just purchased a CS3+ and have been setting it up. So far I absolutely love the device. I've run all the updates prompted so far and am on version 2.4.0 of the software and 2.0.0 of the web interface. The web browser interface works as expected and I can control remotely from a tablet or computer, but I'm unable to get the VNC screen share working to configure the CS3 remotely. I have RealVNC working on my network between a laptop and desktop and tablet and desktop where I run iTrain, but I keep getting the error "Time out waiting for a response from the computer" when trying to connect to the CS3+ at 192.168.1.xxx:5900 as instructed. I've set the screen server to auto launch on startup of the CS3.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Offline BenP  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2022 06:05:55(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Diesel2000 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Marklin Friends,

I just purchased a CS3+ and have been setting it up. So far I absolutely love the device. I've run all the updates prompted so far and am on version 2.4.0 of the software and 2.0.0 of the web interface. The web browser interface works as expected and I can control remotely from a tablet or computer, but I'm unable to get the VNC screen share working to configure the CS3 remotely. I have RealVNC working on my network between a laptop and desktop and tablet and desktop where I run iTrain, but I keep getting the error "Time out waiting for a response from the computer" when trying to connect to the CS3+ at 192.168.1.xxx:5900 as instructed. I've set the screen server to auto launch on startup of the CS3.

Check the ip address in CS3 to connect remotely, which may not be 192.... number, when the local router gives the number. I also set permanent ip for cs3 instead of dhcp.
(I assume you know that .xxx are actual numbers to connect)
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline phils2um  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2022 09:47:10(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I second Ben's advice to check the IP address on the CS3+. For example mine is 192.168.0.xxx. Also, my new router (about 1 yr old) has changed the address it assigned to my CS3 via dhcp twice. Frustrating when it first happened but now I know to check the IP addres when there is a connection problem. I'll have to investigate assigning mine a permanent address as Ben has done.
Phil S.
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2022 11:13:53(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Have you remembered to enable the CS3 screen server? (in the web browser interface, under system)

CS3_screen_server_configuration.jpg
CS3 screen server_status.jpg
Offline Diesel2000  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2022 11:42:28(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
Hello Marklin Friends,

Check the ip address in CS3 to connect remotely, which may not be 192.... number, when the local router gives the number. I also set permanent ip for cs3 instead of dhcp.
(I assume you know that .xxx are actual numbers to connect)

Yes, I have DHCP reservation set up for the CS3 in the router - in my case its 192.168.1.107. Sorry I just put xxx for the 4th octet as I figured that specific was irrelevant. I connected the CS3 to the network, checked the IP that was assigned it, in my case the .107 address, and then set up reservation of that address in the router based on the CS3's MAC address.

Also, the screen server is enabled. I launched it both manually through the web interface and set it to start on boot.

Offline Diesel2000  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2022 11:50:49(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Here is the configuration

IP.JPGscreenserver.JPG
Offline Diesel2000  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2022 11:53:43(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
I tried it again this morning as I was getting pics and everything and now its connecting and working. Very strange as I did not change any settings that had initially been confgured. All is well, thanks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Diesel2000
Offline phils2um  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2022 00:36:30(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I tried it again this morning as I was getting pics and everything and now its connecting and working. Very strange as I did not change any settings that had initially been confgured. All is well, thanks

If the problem returns maybe check/replace the network cable(s) between the CS3 and router. Could be one is on it's way out and giving an intermittent connection.
Phil S.
Offline Diesel2000  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2022 00:45:16(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post

If the problem returns maybe check/replace the network cable(s) between the CS3 and router. Could be one is on it's way out and giving an intermittent connection.

Thanks Phil. I installed a new 75ft cat6 cable for the CS3 to reach back to the hub for my network in the basement. It’s been rock solid today. I’ve connected to it numerous times so not sure why the past 2 days it would not. It’s also a new router. Here’s my current command set up.

E55DDE18-8982-4575-9453-5F58B228C60D.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Diesel2000