Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rob11966  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2022 13:52:43(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Dear Forum members,
I run Trix locomotives but I am assuming that the decoders are the same as the Marklin decoders. I have search the internet and the forum and cannot see a definitive answer to the question of who manufactures the modern Marklin/Trix decoders. I have seen two manufacturers listed ESU and D&H. Does anyone have a definitive answer - if ESU are they essentially re-badged Loksound decoders or a propriety Marklin design? Apologies if I am asking an obvious question, or one which has been covered before.
Rob
Online kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2022 14:01:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rob11966 Go to Quoted Post
Dear Forum members,
I run Trix locomotives but I am assuming that the decoders are the same as the Marklin decoders. I have search the internet and the forum and cannot see a definitive answer to the question of who manufactures the modern Marklin/Trix decoders. I have seen two manufacturers listed ESU and D&H. Does anyone have a definitive answer - if ESU are they essentially re-badged Loksound decoders or a propriety Marklin design? Apologies if I am asking an obvious question, or one which has been covered before.
Rob

The answer is 'it depends' ... and that is because Trix have used all those brands, along with their own msd/3 and mld/3 decoders (which have Trix as the manufacturer identifier when you read them, even though they are marketed by Marklin). It is very dependant on the age of the loco and what digital format the decoder has. I believe D&H decoders were used where Selectrix decoders were fitted, but cannot swear to that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2022 15:01:18(UTC)
Goofy

Dear Forum members,
Rob

Both Märklin and Trix locomotive do have same decoders but protocol mfx+ exist only in the Märklin trains.
I am not really sure if Märklin do produce decoders if not less an electronic company does it.
Zimo are pure electronic company that produce own system and sound decoders in all scale of the trains.
Zimos new sound decoder MS do have mfx protocol too and ESU do have decoders too with the M4 protocol.
D&H don´t have it.
I have never ever seen D&H decoders in the Märklin/Trix trains.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2022 15:10:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I run Trix locomotives but I am assuming that the decoders are the same as the Marklin decoders.
Yes and no.
Decoders with SX are D&H decoders. You don't find those in the Märklin range.
Decoders with mfx are Märklin homebrew. I suspect that D&H helped in the development.

Until about 2011 some Märklin locos had ESU decoders, but that is a thing of the past.

And for Goofy: I bought some Trix decoders for my Trix TRAXX locos and you can tell from the CV tables that these are D&H decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rob11966  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2022 00:09:35(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Thanks for the replies and the information - I can see that this is not a straightforward issue.

One of the reasons that I posed the question is that one of my loco's had a shop fitted ESU Loksound decoder. I have spent some time playing around with the extended CV functions, tweaking the loco. My trix Loco's (all 2019 or later models) with factory fitted decoders only have a limited number of CV's listed in the manual, and I was wondering if all of the other CV'c that are not listed are adjustable as well. I thought if I knew who manufactured the chip, I could get hold of their extended CV list.

Rob
Online kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2022 00:21:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the replies and the information - I can see that this is not a straightforward issue.

One of the reasons that I posed the question is that one of my loco's had a shop fitted ESU Loksound decoder. I have spent some time playing around with the extended CV functions, tweaking the loco. My trix Loco's (all 2019 or later models) with factory fitted decoders only have a limited number of CV's listed in the manual, and I was wondering if all of the other CV'c that are not listed are adjustable as well. I thought if I knew who manufactured the chip, I could get hold of their extended CV list.

Rob

This is where you need a program like JMRI, which reads a decoder, identifies it, and displays all the CV settings in human readable form. It deals with situations where bits are broken out in CVs to do multiple things, and takes away the drudgery of needing to do the math to make sure you are looking at or setting the right bit in the right CV. It will work with almost any DCC system.

Get a copy onto your PC (it works with Windows, Linux or Mac) and hook up to your command station. With minimal effort on your part it will save you a heap of angst dealing with different decoders and their settings. It even knows about the Marklin/Trix mld/3 and msd/3 decoders.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Rob11966  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2022 00:58:11(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
OK Alan - this is where I remove my ignorance from under the bushel....

I didn't even realise that this was a possibility. I have heard of JMRI but thought that it was just a way of computer controlling the layout - I didn't realise you could interrogate decoders. I will do this for sure - just about to get online and order a NCE USB interface!

Brilliant - thank you!!
Online kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2022 11:27:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
OK Alan - this is where I remove my ignorance from under the bushel....

I didn't even realise that this was a possibility. I have heard of JMRI but thought that it was just a way of computer controlling the layout - I didn't realise you could interrogate decoders. I will do this for sure - just about to get online and order a NCE USB interface!

Brilliant - thank you!!

No, JMRI has its origins in being a tool to program decoders. It has expanded from that into something that can be used to control a layout, to a point where it is now quite sophisticated and has several add-ons to help with layout control (a notable one being CATS).

Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2022 15:18:47(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I run Ubuntu but the idea of using java doesn't appeal to me too much 🙄
Offline Tom Jessop  
#10 Posted : 12 August 2022 06:20:31(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

One of JMRI CODE WRITERS is an Australian who lives at Armidale NSW . He appears on numerous forums mainly 2 rail railways . Dave Heap is his name for memory . He has been able to help a lot of people with their Cv problems .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2022 18:11:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know who made the original Maerklin decoders (6080/6090), but around the end of the 1990s, Maerklin started using OEM equipment from ESU. They were not the only company to do this. The OEM decoders were often either stripped down or restricted versions of ESU Lokpilot models. In some instances, the OEM models might have had more limited functions than the regular production versions or may have had functions that were "locked". I had a couple of models with damaged OEM ESU decoders. I had a saved version of that decoder and was able to overwrite the settings on a basic ESU Lokpilot. If the model had more complex lighting than regular/long distance (hi-beam), it might have been harder to restore.

Some Trix models were even more complicated and without modifications, could not be used with third party decoders, as the pins were not wired according to norms.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2022 14:54:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't know who made the original Maerklin decoders (6080/6090), but around the end of the 1990s, Maerklin started using OEM equipment from ESU.
For Märklin H0 locomotives, they used non-mfx ESU decoders for a very short period around 2004/2005.
The first mfx decoders came from ESU starting in 2005.
They started selling the homebrew mfx decoders around 2008 in some models, but continued using ESU decoders until around 2011.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0