Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dwptravel  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2022 02:14:37(UTC)
dwptravel

United States   
The middle one of the passenger cars in a Marklin NL three passenger car set with electrical conducting couplers I purchased about a year ago had the lights go out. It clearly wasn't a bad connection as the two cars on either end still had a power connection, and I smelled a funny smell. So I opened it up and found that one of the electrical points had literally melted and was slightly smoldering, which was the source of the smell. It was so hot, I was surprised it did not erupt into flames. You can see the burned spot in the picture below (if my upload worked).

I guess I will just replace it, but has anyone seen this happen before? It is a bit concerning.IMG_0690.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dwptravel
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2022 13:44:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dwptravel Go to Quoted Post
The middle one of the passenger cars in a Marklin NL three passenger car set with electrical conducting couplers I purchased about a year ago had the lights go out. It clearly wasn't a bad connection as the two cars on either end still had a power connection, and I smelled a funny smell. So I opened it up and found that one of the electrical points had literally melted and was slightly smoldering, which was the source of the smell. It was so hot, I was surprised it did not erupt into flames. You can see the burned spot in the picture below (if my upload worked).

I guess I will just replace it, but has anyone seen this happen before? It is a bit concerning.IMG_0690.jpg

Well, it is not unknown for electronic components to fail, and sometimes they will burn in the manner you show.

is it classed as an MHI item? Is the lighting factory fitted?
How old is this set? If less than 5 years old it will be under warranty if an MHI item.

Personally if the answers to the above questions are all 'yes' then I would return it to Marklin for a warranty replacement. The board doesn't look like like any of the catalogue lighting kits available, so will need a factory replacement.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2022 15:04:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Well, if it wasn't caused by a short, then i think it's a rare occurence. Still, I'd also be upset.
I am wondering if anyone has used the Digikeiis led coach lighting kits? I just discovered these yesterday evening. They're a bit pricey, by about $10 more than the new to be released marklin long ones with the large capacitor to be released next month tnnatively.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2022 00:30:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Something similar happened on my Kittel 3425 (my fault) on the headlights.
They were tiny surface-mounted yellow LEDs. Excess current made them burn and destroy the copper trace of the PCB
So I took the opportunity to install dual color LEDs instead
Here is the work in progress
3425 Kittel Headlights.png

What I am trying to say is: if the coach is not under warranty, you may try to fix it yourself
In your case, I am not sure but the burned 4 legs component looks like a rectifier bridge that had excessive current.
They are easy to find on ebay.
Bon courage
Jean
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2022 13:07:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Well, if it wasn't caused by a short, then i think it's a rare occurence. Still, I'd also be upset.
I am wondering if anyone has used the Digikeiis led coach lighting kits? I just discovered these yesterday evening. They're a bit pricey, by about $10 more than the new to be released marklin long ones with the large capacitor to be released next month tnnatively.

I have tried the lights you mention but now I use Viessmann light bars and have found them to be reliable and at a reasonable price. Might be worth trying one to see what you think. Some come with a decoder that lets you light different parts of the coach etc but I dont think they are worth the extra cost.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar