Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline polabear  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2022 21:47:02(UTC)
polabear

Canada   
Hi all,

I purchased this set second hand, and while it looks in near perfect condition, I can't seem to get the lighting to work properly. The leaflet with the set shows the exact order and orientation the cars have to be in, and I am certain I have them correctly situated, (I have tried every permutation regarding orientation of cars in this order just in case).
The lighting works in the first three cars, (counting from the one with the pick-up and taillights), but the third one flickers when it is moving, and the fourth one doesn't light up. The flickering red dining car is where I'm suspecting my problem lies.
A quick look at the coaches did not offer any clues at how to open it to check for a loose wire, and I have no experience with current conducting couplers.
Can anyone offer insight or suggestions?
16556675208682778332934715736921.jpg

Thanks,Dave
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2022 22:35:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dave
First, using a 12 V bulb and 12 V power) you must locate where the problem lies (in which car).
To do this, you power the car fitted with a slider and check if it lights and if it transmits power to the next car (is there power on the Current Conducting Coupler (CCC)
If not, you need to open and check
The other cars are simply fitted with CCC and a ground return blade on one of the boggies
So the test is to feed the car with 12V between the ground return bogie and one of the CC. It must lit with both sides of the CCC making sure that the contact is good even when the CCC pocket is fully aside.
If not, you need to open and check

How to open the cars and fix some of the problems is shown on the video below

Checks on a faulty car:
- the CCC is correctly inserted into the NEM pocket while the extremity of the Y shaped contact with the Y piece (short coupling cinematic) goes also in the NEM pocket
- the cables are not properly installed RED cable to the slider (when there is one), RED cable to each end of the car on the flat brass plate (spade connector inside the toilets), BROWN or black cable coming from the ground blade
- the CCC is connected with the brass plate at each car's end, under the interior fitting. If Not the interior fitting must be removed, the brass plate should be removed by sliding it towards the car center VERY CAREFULLY as its hooks to hold it in place are VERY FRAGILE. Then access the Y shaped piece with its Y shaped contact blade. Caution, there is a return spring

See here the installation notice from Märklin https://static.maerklin....56b5256fb71560956594.pdf
Sorry to insist but these parts are very fragile and can break very easily
I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline polabear  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2022 00:24:11(UTC)
polabear

Canada   
Thanks for the speedy and comprehensive reply Jean. I'm sure the answer is in there! It will be a bit before I can try these tests, as this week got suddenly busy, but I will keep you posted.
Offline polabear  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2022 04:13:46(UTC)
polabear

Canada   
This evening I opened the third and fourth cars. The fourth car, fartherest from the pick-up, was an easy fix, as connections had simply come apart. Within the flickering dining car, I found a brown ground wire bent and frayed right at the end of its connecting plug. I cut the bad section out and reattached it. It reduced the flickering somewhat, but not completely.
Am I right in assuming the issue is still the grounding in this car, as it still passes current to the car beyond it? Does anyone have any other insight or potential solutions?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2022 11:49:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dave
quote polabear:
Am I right in assuming the issue is still the grounding in this car, as it still passes current to the car beyond it? Does anyone have any other insight or potential solutions?

Yes you are right. If the car behind it does not flicker, it is because of a failing ground pick-up.

Checks / Fixes:
- wheel cleanlyness
- axle cleanliness (where the spring blades are picking the current
- contact blades cleanliness
- bending of the contact blades. When the axle is removed the spring must go up by 1 to 1.5 mm but not more not to increase the friction drag and rapid wearout of contact blades.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB