Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BurritoJoe  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2022 04:44:16(UTC)
BurritoJoe

United States   
I am so very new to the world of digital. I have a 3302 that I want to convert to digital.

I have the mSD3 sound decoder 60975, along with the 5 pole motor 60941.

I am pretty sure I have most of the wiring figured out, the instructions are not at all the best.

There is a cross reference chart for wire colors- Marklin vs NEM. I'm assuming I am following Marklin, as the existing wire colors in the Loco match to what is in this part of the chart. I don't really know what NEM references.

I also do not know what the aux 1-4 connect to. I'm assuming for the functions you wish to control?

It also cones with two speakers, are both used or are they options to use one or the other based off of space available in thr loco?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2022 08:53:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
And a late welcome to the forum.

Märklin decoders with an 8-pin plug use NEM colours, Märklin decoders with 21-pin plug come with a decoder board that uses Märklin colours. The colour scheme of really old analogue Märklin locos can be different from the current scheme.

Yes, use one of the two speakers. If there is enough space in the loco, then I sometimes use two speakers of the same type (when doing two conversions, both type A speakers can go into one loco and two type B speakers into the other loco).

Yes, AUX1 to AUX4 can be anything. Smoke generator, cab lights, red rear lights, Telex. For some locos there are no pre-installed accessories where AUX1 to AUX4 can be used.
Some older locos do not have separate wirings for smoke generator and front light, so a modification is needed to switch them separately.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline bgemski  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2022 19:58:03(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Great information thank you. I just picked up decoders and motor conversions for my Marklin Santa Fe F unit and the EMD demonstrator F unit!
Offline BurritoJoe  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2022 23:37:57(UTC)
BurritoJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
And a late welcome to the forum.

Märklin decoders with an 8-pin plug use NEM colours, Märklin decoders with 21-pin plug come with a decoder board that uses Märklin colours. The colour scheme of really old analogue Märklin locos can be different from the current scheme.

Yes, use one of the two speakers. If there is enough space in the loco, then I sometimes use two speakers of the same type (when doing two conversions, both type A speakers can go into one loco and two type B speakers into the other loco).

Yes, AUX1 to AUX4 can be anything. Smoke generator, cab lights, red rear lights, Telex. For some locos there are no pre-installed accessories where AUX1 to AUX4 can be used.
Some older locos do not have separate wirings for smoke generator and front light, so a modification is needed to switch them separately.

So, my Loco had lights_ smoke wired up as it is. Am I soldering the aux wires let's say 1 and 2 to each of those? I also have a total of 4 orange wires off the decoder, two near the aux wires, one along with a yellow on the end, and another on the opposing side if the aux wires. I'm not sure as to what all those are.

Sorry for my ignorance, I am just not finding a good source to really explain or visually show where things get wired to
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2022 00:02:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BurritoJoe Go to Quoted Post
I also have a total of 4 orange wires off the decoder, two near the aux wires, one along with a yellow on the end, and another on the opposing side if the aux wires. I'm not sure as to what all those are.

Sorry for my ignorance, I am just not finding a good source to really explain or visually show where things get wired to

In the Marklin colour scheme the orange wires are the common for all the aux outputs. So one orange wire will be used with the yellow for lights at one end, one with a grey for lights at the other end, one with the output being used for the smoke unit but only where the smoke unit has two wires. If one side of the smoke unit is attached to the body and there is only a contact on the bottom then don't use an orange wire with it.

Another orange wire may be used as a return for a Telex uncoupler, or a cab light or ... whatever other function you may use. Not all wires will get used unless you are really filling your loco with features.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BurritoJoe  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2022 00:11:23(UTC)
BurritoJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BurritoJoe Go to Quoted Post
I also have a total of 4 orange wires off the decoder, two near the aux wires, one along with a yellow on the end, and another on the opposing side if the aux wires. I'm not sure as to what all those are.

In the Marklin colour scheme the orange wires are the common for all the aux outputs. So one orange wire will be used with the yellow for lights at one end, one with a grey for lights at the other end, one with the output being used for the smoke unit but only where the smoke unit has two wires. If one side of the smoke unit is attached to the body and there is only a contact on the bottom then don't use an orange wire with it.

Another orange wire may be used as a return for a Telex uncoupler, or a cab light or ... whatever other function you may use. Not all wires will get used unless you are really filling your loco with features.

Makes sense now, thanks!