Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pronto5  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2022 01:26:55(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum and only recently starting to learn about Märklin's closed std coupler system. My steam locomotive is a 39004 with the 5-car passenger car set 43917. I cannot find a good video on how to uncouple these buggers by hand. BigGrin Can someone show me a video or explain if possible, how to uncouple the cars and the locomotive? I searched YouTube, Google and Märklin and cannot find something which shows a newbie how to do this. I don't have an uncoupler track FYI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Danke! Smile

Can (pronounced Jun in English)
Montreal, Canada
Online PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2022 03:36:22(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Pronto5 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum and only recently starting to learn about Märklin's closed std coupler system. My steam locomotive is a 39004 with the 5-car passenger car set 43917. I cannot find a good video on how to uncouple these buggers by hand. BigGrin Can someone show me a video or explain if possible, how to uncouple the cars and the locomotive? I searched YouTube, Google and Märklin and cannot find something which shows a newbie how to do this. I don't have an uncoupler track FYI.

Danke! Smile

Montreal, Canada

Hello Can and welcome to the forum.

Märklin make a small plastic tool that I find useful for this task, part number E291610.

Here is one on eBay :
https://www.ebay.com.au/...sAqpEvXIwGkaAujcEALw_wcB

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2022 12:35:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Can
A warm welcome to our forum of Märklin enthusiasts
On my digital layout, driven by Rocrail, there are multiple automatic coupling and uncoupling that are working quite well.
With Märklin standard current conducting couplers, it is simply not working.

So how to uncouple cars having the CC couplers?
1- making sure there is no stress on the coupler (loco is pushing the cars)
2- using a "spoon" (a laundry hanger wire with a little plate to push up the buckles

IMO, these couplers have a big drawback of being incompatible with standard ones. Why didn't Märklin modify its standard coupler to leave space for the contact blade

Here is an example of consists with CCC except on extremities that are uncoupled / coupled

Using the same on CCC will not be possible because the contact blades are locking the buckles preventing them to be lifted easily. You must really "squeeze" the consist to uncouple
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Pronto5  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2022 20:23:52(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

Danke! Smile

Montreal, Canada

Hello Can and welcome to the forum.

Märklin make a small plastic tool that I find useful for this task, part number E291610.

Here is one on eBay :
https://www.ebay.com.au/...sAqpEvXIwGkaAujcEALw_wcB

Regards,

PJ

Thanks for your generous information, PJ! I happen to have a Kadee uncoupling tool and I will try that first, and if not, try to get the Marklin one. I still don't know exactly how to use an uncoupling tool to be honest, since I am used to knuckle couplers from Bachmann and Kadee, but I'll try to figure it out. A metal flap or piece fell out from one of the wagon couplers on my Marklin system, as I was fiddling around with it earlier, not using a tool though.
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2022 23:05:45(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The coupling that comes with that set is really odd but should be operable with any flat object which can slide under the couplings and lift both of the steel levers under them. I first used a dental examination mirror. If you can separate them into pairs that you can lift easily turning them both upside down will allow the levers to depress from gravity and release. Current conducting couplers are a necessary pain.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2022 23:09:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks for your generous information, PJ! I happen to have a Kadee uncoupling tool and I will try that first, and if not, try to get the Marklin one. I still don't know exactly how to use an uncoupling tool to be honest, since I am used to knuckle couplers from Bachmann and Kadee, but I'll try to figure it out. A metal flap or piece fell out from one of the wagon couplers on my Marklin system, as I was fiddling around with it earlier, not using a tool though.

You can use something like an ice cream stick as an uncoupler. Not as large as the marklin tool, but will do the job. I don'r recommend sing a screw driver as the likelihood of shorting something is too great.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2022 00:19:51(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
… I still don't know exactly how to use an uncoupling tool …

Hello,

This old image gives the idea. Image is actually uncoupling relex couplers but same principle as close couplers.

Put the small flat square end of the tool underneath the two adjacent lower arms of the couplers (that hang down towards the trackbed) and lift

UserPostedImage

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2022 01:09:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello Can,

I am in Montreal and can supply you with the uncoupling tool that Maerklin includes with the 7203 couplings. It should also work on the current conducting close couplers.
Send me your address by private message.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Pronto5  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2022 20:07:48(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
I managed to use the Kadee uncoupling tool, which is red plastic, with a tiny pointy end and the other end being a flat tool.

Here is the link if anyone is interested: https://www.kadee.com/sh...tool-built-in-spring-pic

It worked in uncoupling the Marklin cars and locomotive. Thank-you again to everyone for your help.
Offline Pronto5  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2022 20:12:22(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
… I still don't know exactly how to use an uncoupling tool …

Put the small flat square end of the tool underneath the two adjacent lower arms of the couplers (that hang down towards the trackbed) and lift

UserPostedImage

PJ

This is probably better than the Kadee tool I posted above, since it has a wider flat area. Thanks again. I can manage for now, but may just want to use a wider object, like a popsicle stick perhaps, if it fits.