Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bgemski  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2022 17:19:04(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Hi all
I hope the holiday weekend is going well for everyone. A question for all. What manufacture for freight and passenger cars do you use that is specifically modeling American prototypes? Is there one particular that you like? I know the couplers need to be changed out and the axels may or may not need to be adjusted. This is more a question of which manufactures you may or may not use. For me I have been poking around and looking but I don’t really have a set “go to” one.
Now the second part of the question, is there any to specifically stay away from and why? Should there be some specific issues I should be aware of? Like i mentioned I am aware of the trucks and wheel spacing differences. I also am aware that some of the older models the coupler pockets aren’t NEM standard.

Thank you in advance enjoy the holiday!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2022 21:22:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Regardless of brand, a few notes for less headaches on your layout:

1- Get a wheel puller/press, and set the wheelsets on the DC cars you buy to the Marklin 13.8mm (I think, doublecheck me) DC NEM is over 14, and most DC axles are set to that

2- Only buy cars with metal wheelsets, or convert to metal.

3- Only buy cars with an NEM socket you you can easily swap to (or back to) whichever coupler is best for you.

As to brands, freight is easier than passenger. For passenger I'd look out for minimum radius, as much of the "good stuff" needs 22" radius or larger, which of course you need to accommodate with marklin trackage
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline bgemski  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2022 22:07:25(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Yes I had read about the axels being different I have to get the puller still, its on the "list".

The nem socket I ran into that issue head first with some older kits I purchased on eBay. Luckily they were only a few bucks I'll do something with them. I agree as well the freight cars will be easier to do than the passenger cars. The radius for the turns I have already kept at R2 for the secondary and siding lines. I am planning on R3 at the least.
Offline bgemski  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2022 23:42:59(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I guess my question to add to this is who, company, uses the NEM socket on American freight cars?
Offline bgemski  
#5 Posted : 29 May 2022 17:09:42(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
BINGO!!!!!!
I figured it out of course with the help of this forum and the face book Marklin forum
Thank you guys for all the ideas. A transition car I have a Marklin Rutland box car that is NEM equipped I can swap out a couple on one end and use American rolling stock, ie Waithers cars,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski