Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2022 07:26:42(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
There are lots of internet links on building model railroads and other items like buildings and structures and scenery, but I can't find anything on building cars, trucks and buses. Road vehicles are pretty common on a model railroad. Vehicles are readily available, but the cost can be quite a bit. I've seen model cars in HO selling for anywhere from $20 to $50+. That is a lot to pay for model vehicles that do nothing but are just a static fixture on the layout. I'm looking for a tutorial or other that shows ways to build model vehicles, quickly and cheaply. I've seen some cheap vehicles, but they lack any sort of detail. I'm thinking of making a vehicle by carving it from a block, allow it to have wheels and paint. The same holds for buildings. Kits are available for buildings, and they can cost in the hundreds. Buildings have the alternative of being scratch built from bass, balsa and cardboard and covered with brick work and other architectural details. This can be done at a very low cost, but nothing seems to address model vehicles. I have been scratch-building structures, houses, stores, etc and now want to do the same with vehicles. Can you help me? Model railroading is a very expensive hobby. The more I can do without paying excessive prices for structures and vehicles, will make it a lot easier on the pocketbook. Model figures are another area where cost can add up.
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2022 08:50:18(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
You can print out super-detailed vehicles with a 3D resin printer. It would pay back its cost very quickly!
It would also help for building houses and structures. Even rolling stock for the railroad...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2022 08:56:09(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
If you search Toosmall's post in the Small Scale forum, he has a number of posts in which he shows how he builds vehicles from scratch - the one about the Z scale SUV.s probably is the one you want.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2022 10:14:29(UTC)
Copenhagen

Why not buy used cars? Either online or at model railway events if you happen to be near one.
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2022 10:25:31(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
https://www.marklin-user...sts/t47774-Z-gauge-buses

I scratch build using styrene because I have been using it for years. But in principle it is the same list of issues no matter which base material you are using.

The problem with a lot of vehicles is they have complex curves. One can knock up a flat sided vehicle in 5 minutes.

Take your modern car, where does one start. Curves everywhere. Do I show the inside. Get wheel arches and other gaps in the right position at the beginning is a job in itself. Body folds.

Do I mask and paint the model or build separately. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Then glazing, maybe a bit greyed out so internals are a bit obscure.

I only built some Z gauge vehicles as it is near impossible to get stuff in Z, even the printed stuff is too "solid" for my liking.

Time wise it is simply not worth building them yourself. 3 days for a single car. I could buy a 1:1 scale second hand car cheaper!

At least in HO you have a vast choice. If you squint and cleverly place or distract with other scenery. You can get away with murder!

Even if you want to do your own 3D printing. You still have a long list of obstacles. Is one going to do their own 3D file. I reckon it would take me a week to create a file. Better to buy one, which is what I do for 3D architectural work. But they still cost and add to your final cost per car per model on the layout.

You cannot hand build a car quickly. There is 3 days work in this Land Rover, even then a few shortcuts.

IMG_1467_084626.jpg

I have bought the cheap Chinese rubbish to scatter around the roads, even then I bought a lot extra and threw out the dodgy colours. Place the few expensive cars in key locations and sub-scenes, so attention is drawn away from the rubbish.

I used a lot Wiking model cars on architectural models and they always looked good.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mr. Ron  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2022 04:46:23(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t47774-Z-gauge-buses

I scratch build using styrene because I have been using it for years. But in principle it is the same list of issues no matter which base material you are using.

The problem with a lot of vehicles is they have complex curves. One can knock up a flat sided vehicle in 5 minutes.

Take your modern car, where does one start. Curves everywhere. Do I show the inside. Get wheel arches and other gaps in the right position at the beginning is a job in itself. Body folds.

Do I mask and paint the model or build separately. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Then glazing, maybe a bit greyed out so internals are a bit obscure.

I only built some Z gauge vehicles as it is near impossible to get stuff in Z, even the printed stuff is too "solid" for my liking.

Time wise it is simply not worth building them yourself. 3 days for a single car. I could buy a 1:1 scale second hand car cheaper!

At least in HO you have a vast choice. If you squint and cleverly place or distract with other scenery. You can get away with murder!

Even if you want to do your own 3D printing. You still have a long list of obstacles. Is one going to do their own 3D file. I reckon it would take me a week to create a file. Better to buy one, which is what I do for 3D architectural work. But they still cost and add to your final cost per car per model on the layout.

You cannot hand build a car quickly. There is 3 days work in this Land Rover, even then a few shortcuts.

IMG_1467_084626.jpg

I have bought the cheap Chinese rubbish to scatter around the roads, even then I bought a lot extra and threw out the dodgy colours. Place the few expensive cars in key locations and sub-scenes, so attention is drawn away from the rubbish.

I used a lot Wiking model cars on architectural models and they always looked good.

I started building an 18 wheeler in HO. So far I've spent 2 days building in wood, and have come to a standstill. Wheels, i've found are available from Herpa and Faller, but the cost really ads up. I can make my own wheels, but not to the level of detail Herpa and Faller wheels have.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2022 14:52:28(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
If you have the room and want something different, 98 wheels or if lazy only an 86 wheel fuel tanker!

IMG_0015_104908.jpg
IMG_4329_105911.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mr. Ron  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2022 23:44:30(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
If you have the room and want something different, 98 wheels or if lazy only an 86 wheel fuel tanker!

IMG_0015_104908.jpg
IMG_4329_105911.jpg

That road train must be something to behold. I can imagine trying to pass it on the road.

Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2022 06:29:05(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   

So many different species in land down under!
Where else can you abuse the road like that?
And we thought Road Warriors were a myth...

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 13 May 2022 06:45:33(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
...another thought... we really need to develop a common database to share 3D printables for MMR.
For some of us the cost or detailing a full-room layout is, shall we say, extraordinary.

Or how about monetary prizes for those who come up with good designs to share?
If we pooled our resources for such and seconded some of the young who are handy with Sketch-Up and/or more complicated apps, we could surely come up with a good list.

Anyone have further ideas on that? Could be cars, figures, buildings, structures.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 13 May 2022 12:35:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post

So many different species in land down under!
Where else can you abuse the road like that?
And we thought Road Warriors were a myth...

Keep a lookout for an Australian TV program called 'Outback Truckers' which follows a handful of these trucking crews. It appears periodically on Quest in the UK, but I'm sure you will find it on some US/Canadian channels too.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2022 01:02:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
HO scale werbemodelle (advertising models) are available on German eBay.
These are mostly trucks, cheap as chips 1-4 Euros each if you buy a batch of them.
I have quite a few.
You may have to re-paint some parts to look more realistic.
Example: ebay trucks

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#13 Posted : 14 May 2022 20:21:17(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Why not buy used cars? Either online or at model railway events if you happen to be near one.

Exactly! No need to get fancy or go for scratch building (unless you're so inclined and enjoy it, of course). Ebay is always worth a shot. I've gotten trucks and buses for a fraction of the new cost and they were in VG or mint condition. There are other options as well. Diecastmodelwholesale.com is a source for models for my son who's a diecast collector. While I'm there, I check out what they've got in 1/87 scale. I've gotten nice pieces made by Schuco. Better and cheaper than Herpa or Wiking. Even unlikely places like Walmart can be a source. One time I spotted a six pack of VW Beetles and Microbuses in 1/87 scale in various styles for about a buck apiece. Even some old Matchbox trucks from my childhood work since the box scale is close enough to 1/87 to work. They can be had cheap at yard sales or toy shows.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline seatrains  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2022 22:33:18(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
As a notorius cheapskate with a small model train budget, I have had good luck at model trains swap meets, because most of the folks want north American vehicles and not the stray Opel or Mercedes. I always make an offer and try not to pay the asking price and sometimes I can get a volume discount. The other place I have been lucky is at the remaining hobby shops that are still around. They do get used stock and estates in and of course they have a harder time moving anything european. I got some wonderfull trucks this way. The one thing I have have found is that there is no shortage of HO scale VW beetles and vans. They are everywhere and can normally be had for a good price. Also sprinkle in a few north American vehicles as there could be an US army base nearby or there are properous merchants in your town. BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 15 May 2022 01:10:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Unfortunately, there have not been any swap meets or shows since Covid until one recently.
As a european rail modler, German, Swiss, and Austrian, a bit of Itallian freight, I have found both domestic an european vehicles at them. A seller from Chicago used to sell brand new Herpa, Busch, Wiking, Rietze, Brekina, etc. Some American cars are sold in europe and abroad. More so today, as gloabal platforms and styling have been homologated more.
GM was selling cars in Switzeralnd in the 1980's. Chevrolet Beretta's, Corsica's, Camaros, Corvettes, Pontiac Grand Am's, Montana vans, etc. Former GM executive Bob Lutz is Swiss born, and his father a former Credit Suisse executive.
Offline 1borna  
#16 Posted : 15 May 2022 21:20:26(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
I have never bought new expensive models of road vehicles, but I would buy them on some model exchange along the way by the railway.
UserPostedImage
Until I put them in a pile on one occasion I didn’t even know how many I had (actually I have more)
UserPostedImage
There is everything there, from the cheapest models to some valuable ones
UserPostedImage
Until my last layout is finished, cars are a side issue for me
UserPostedImage
Then I'll see what doesn't suit me or what I miss, so maybe I'll change with someone?
UserPostedImage
Worse models can always be groomed with coloring and they come into the background anyway
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 1borna