Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michanglais  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2022 09:56:37(UTC)
Michanglais

France, Metropolitan   
Hello to all,

This is my first post on the forum and what I've read so far has been very useful.

I've just purchased the 29000 starter kit. I'm, so far, running HAG locos, fitted with a variety of decoders (many of which don't have instructions because I've bought second-hand and the decoder instructions didn't make it into the packaging... So, there's going to be a little guess work going on unless I can find manuals online.

But that's secondary to my main question.

Would anyone know if someone has put together a comprehensive manual on getting full use out of the 60657 controller? I don't find the manual that came with the starter kit very useful. It doesn't seem to cover all aspects of simply getting going, having two locos on the track at the same time, etc.

I've managed to get locos running using the 'Find' function, but that's with just one loco on the track. I'm used to my DC DCC PowerCab and find it very intuitive but I'm struggling a bit with the 60657.

Any pointers would be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Michael
Offline French_Fabrice  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2022 11:20:03(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

Goto this page https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60657 and download the Manual.

Cheers
fabrice
Offline Michanglais  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2022 11:43:12(UTC)
Michanglais

France, Metropolitan   

Thanks Fabrice,

The .pdf and manual are exactly the same as the manual that was provided with the set.

All I really want to know, to begin with, is how to have two locos on the same track, running independently.

I'm building a very small layout of a yard and I want to be able to have, for instance, a loco with sound on but not moving and then another loco on the same track moving.

I know this is basic stuff (I've got a 2-rail DCC controller as well) but I can't even find how to call up a single loco without using 'Find', let alone two locos at the same time.

The manual seems to go into the more detailed stuff like programming CVs but has forgotten to explain the most basic functions of the controller.

To complicate matters, I'm running HAG locos. Some have Marklin decoders, some ESU, etc. but because I bought the locos 2nd hand, most of the decoder instructions are missing so I don't even know what the decoders are capable of...

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cheers,
Michael
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2022 14:48:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michanglais Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Fabrice,

The .pdf and manual are exactly the same as the manual that was provided with the set.

All I really want to know, to begin with, is how to have two locos on the same track, running independently.

Cheers,
Michael

I'm surprised that the instructions don't explicitly tell you how to do this. I thought the earlier versions did.

Along the bottom of the screen you get some little square blocks once you have locos defined. Each one of these represents a loco. IIRC by holding down the key with the loco symbol on it and turning the knob allows the selection cursor to scroll along the blocks, showing the loco information for the currently selected block as you scroll. Once you release the key with the loco symbol that loco now becomes the actively controlled one, and the previously selected one will continue doing what it was doing (stopped, moving, lights/sound off/on, etc) until it is selected again.

I have an ms2 with an older manual so I will see if I can find the relevant info in there and scan it.

Offline Michanglais  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2022 15:31:13(UTC)
Michanglais

France, Metropolitan   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Fabrice,

Cheers,
Michael

I'm surprised that the instructions don't explicitly tell you how to do this. I thought the earlier versions did.

Along the bottom of the screen you get some little square blocks once you have locos defined. Each one of these represents a loco. IIRC by holding down the key with the loco symbol on it and turning the knob allows the selection cursor to scroll along the blocks, showing the loco information for the currently selected block as you scroll. Once you release the key with the loco symbol that loco now becomes the actively controlled one, and the previously selected one will continue doing what it was doing (stopped, moving, lights/sound off/on, etc) until it is selected again.

I have an ms2 with an older manual so I will see if I can find the relevant info in there and scan it.

Hi kiwiAlan,

Scans would be great if you've got the time.

I feel a bit stupid, really. Normally technology doesn't cause me any issues but the way the manual jumps from 'Language selection' to 'Finding a locomotive' seems to be missing a few details... unless you're dealing with an mfx loco, which I'm not, of course.

As I haven't programmed anything yet - just 'found' single locos and had them run back and forth with their lights on, I'm wondering if I should reset the controller to factory settings as, slightly out of frustration, I started randomly pressing keys and combinations of keys and lord only knows what the controller is set to now. Turning it off and on again doesn't seem to help. I can get to a screen with a block at the bottom, that moves along by repeatedly pressing the 'loco' button (very slow) but it certainly doesn't move if I hold down the loco button and turn the knob.

I'll wait a bit to see if you are able to get me some scans, in the meantime I'll get on with my entry into the AC world by trying out some analogue locos I've got (with an analogue controller, of course!).

Cheers!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2022 17:02:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi kiwiAlan,

I'll wait a bit to see if you are able to get me some scans, in the meantime I'll get on with my entry into the AC world by trying out some analogue locos I've got (with an analogue controller, of course!).

Cheers!

Sorry, the manual I have is French/Dutch, but looking through it, there doesn't seem to be a better explanation anyway.

So what i would suggest is you reset the ms2, and start again. If you are adding non-mfx Marklin locos then you should be able to just select these from the database, assuming the default address hasn't been changed, and they should 'just run'.

When you come to install the second (and any subsequent) loco you may need to push the 'loco' key to select the next empty slot before entering the loco. Then once they are installed you should be able to switch between them as described earlier.

I thought it was necessary to use the knob to move between locos, or maybe that is the accelerated way to do it with later firmware. Unfortunately the ms2 i have is dead so I can't check my instructions. However this should get you to where you want to be I think.

Offline Michanglais  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2022 17:21:05(UTC)
Michanglais

France, Metropolitan   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Hi kiwiAlan,

Cheers!

Sorry, the manual I have is French/Dutch, but looking through it, there doesn't seem to be a better explanation anyway.

So what i would suggest is you reset the ms2, and start again. If you are adding non-mfx Marklin locos then you should be able to just select these from the database, assuming the default address hasn't been changed, and they should 'just run'.

When you come to install the second (and any subsequent) loco you may need to push the 'loco' key to select the next empty slot before entering the loco. Then once they are installed you should be able to switch between them as described earlier.

I thought it was necessary to use the knob to move between locos, or maybe that is the accelerated way to do it with later firmware. Unfortunately the ms2 i have is dead so I can't check my instructions. However this should get you to where you want to be I think.

Thanks for checking!

I think a reset - and then more patience - is the answer here!

It'll keep me busy over the weekend...

Offline Copenhagen  
#8 Posted : 22 April 2022 19:21:38(UTC)
Copenhagen

It can be treacherous using the "find" function. If it's a DCC locomotive it should be entered manually (while being the only loco on the track).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen