Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline amysdad  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2022 20:59:37(UTC)
amysdad

United States   
I'm in the process of setting up a large digital layout using K track. In reading about the Marklin Central Station - CS3+, I'm finding a couple of questions I can't get answered. I did purchase the Marklin "Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3" which helps a lot (although it's written assuming you will use C track). However, I'm not getting a couple of things:

1.). Do I need to use the K83 decoder with (4) turnouts, or can I use individual decoders at the turnout, then connect directly to the track (and by-pass the k83)? If it's either/or, what is the benefit of using the K83?

2.) What is missing in running trains using just the CS3+ once the layout is operational? From reading about the CS3+, it appears to let you do everything - track diagram, programming routes, etc. Obviously it's not doing everything since others on this site are using the CS2/3s AND other operating systems such as Traincontroler.
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2022 22:05:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Dad,
K83 is cheaper by 1/2 when compared to buying individual decoders for each turnout.

The CS's are not capable of automatic operation of a layout. They can do some simple automation, i.e., shuttle trains, but can't run trains to a schedule. That's where Traincontroller or iTrain come in. I use two, a CS3 and CS3+, one to run engines and the other to control routes and turnouts of the track plans.

Regards,
Roger
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2022 22:40:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: amysdad Go to Quoted Post
Do I need to use the K83 decoder with (4) turnouts, or can I use individual decoders at the turnout, then connect directly to the track (and by-pass the k83)?
Those individual decoders are offered for C track. They fit under the road bed of C track and are useful for temporary floor layouts.
C track decoders can also be used with K track, but since they do not fit under the road bed, there is no real advantage.

A k83 is one decoder chip with four output stages, the individual decoders only have one output stage, but still need a decoder chip. With k83s you can safe a lot of money.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2022 00:38:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

A k83 is one decoder chip with four output stages, the individual decoders only have one output stage, but still need a decoder chip. With k83s you can safe a lot of money.

There is a C-Track decoder with two outputs for use in the 3-way turnout also.

Another advantage of using k83 type decoders is that other manufacturers such as Viessmann and LDT manufacture equivalent devices that can also use a seperate power supply, so the energy being used to operate the solenoid isn't being drawn from track power.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan