Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2022 16:23:42(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

The latest Trainini update is available! Here is the link:

https://www.trainini.eu/...Trainini_int_2022-03.pdf

Please let it download, and enjoy!

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2022 16:34:22(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Yay!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2022 21:05:15(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Which maintenance type sets, locomotives or wagons do you have in your collection?

They make for some interesting strings of trains for your layout.

Thanks for your reply or photos.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2022 21:31:42(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
You know, Dwight, I like the idea that we can discuss the contents of these Trainini issues here, great idea!
For my part I have little in the way of track maintenance equipment (MOW) but it is fascinating. So for Europe I have the Marklin DB Construction Train Set 81451 pictured on page 10, the yellow Tiger. I also have a Marklin Crane car and flat low side trailer combo like on page 14.
I got excited enough reading this issue to purchase the Preiser 88537 Workers In Protective Clothing Set (pg 14) and the Railway Maintenance Set 87761 (pg 4) to go with my Class 212 Diesel (Marklin 88214). Yes, I am afraid the magazine often leads to purchases for me!
For my American trains I have purchased some kits that I hope to utilize one day. Most recently from Showcase miniatures I got a Crew cab Service Truck and a Ballast Regulator MOW. And a while back a crane and cars with RR Ties to show them being replaced.
They are all waiting to "make a scene".
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2022 00:51:01(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Yes, you caught me with another idea which we have overlooked. It might seem insensitive or trivial to pick this topic right now in light of the dark times visited on the doorstep of Europe. This is also an important underlying topic of this issue. We all are encouraged to reflect on the events now unfolding and find a way in our local area to support the great needs in whichever way we can.

I thought we might share some of the same wagons or sets which represent the railway construction/maintenance theme. I believe we both have the railway cranes, mine the original blue one, and the yellow one with yellow support railcar. I recently added the Wiebe crane and yellow support low board wagon. After I realized the boom support needs to be snapped into the support wagon, I found the crane stays put and the boom does not get tangle up along the track. I honestly appreciate the cranes more since this discovery.

I have the 8776 set which reflects an earlier Era, but has a few unique wagons, but no locomotive. I just learned about the Ludmilla maintenance set in this issue. It would seem easy to add any number of other interesting wagons to this set, pulling power will not be an issue.

Some will recall the 3D printed cable reel insert to the low board wagon. I bet someone out there is still printing this insert if you look around you could find it.

https://www.marklin-user...B-B4E5-85B17CF6C220.jpeg

I don’t think passenger ticket were sold for a ride on the track cleaning railbus (8802/88021). Because these definitely fit the maintenance role.

The V100/212 seems to be a locomotive used in the maintenance role frequently now. There are a number of these clearly used in construction/maintenance roles. The 88692 and 66695, Serca and Wiebe models are both considered relatively rare. I enjoy connecting my Wiebe 212 to a string including the 82378 ballast type wagons, crane and support wagon. I know I might be corrected, but I believe any 100/212 could be connected to any maintenance string of wagons and not look out of place.

I believe the popularity of this segment of the z scale model railway will only increase. There is already many items available and it can be a surprise how many can be accumulated so quickly. Perhaps our comments will also lead to future purchases. Trainini is already a powerful motivator for me too.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2022 22:21:43(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I’ve got to say, the Marklin track maintenance set
87761 Is just amazing. The details on the blue crew and shop cars are really terrific. The load of track sections is pretty cool too. This is state of the art detailing.
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2022 02:03:00(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Yes that updated set is a good one, but what can you do with ten pieces of track? I like that set, but I don’t have that one.

Mine is likely the original set, it has three of the blue crew wagons, a grey small tank wagon and a low board wagon. The low board has a trailer load which I like.

I can add individual wagons to other strings and combine some to my other service trains. I recently picked up the BR218 Wiebe locomotive.

UserPostedImage

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2022 00:09:14(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Found this YouTube with newer service/maintenance sets in action. I am not familiar with the one with the 218. Anyone know which set model number this is?

Sweet.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Schelly  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2022 04:13:15(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
That was interesting, as stated I have the 81451 set but not the other one pictured on track.
AKA husafreak
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Schelly
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2022 21:40:11(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

Found this YouTube with newer service/maintenance sets in action. I am not familiar with the one with the 218. Anyone know which set model number this is?

Hi Dwight,

That is 81071 - a very nice set, though the stake wagons were slightly damaged when my set arrived. I like the maintenance sets and I feel they fit well with any model so I also have 81451 and the add-on 82425.

For my 81071 I made some loads of track sections (off-cuts from flex track) and rails (here in the UK you can buy code 60 rail) which I think make the load look more representative than three ballast loads. I'm a bit bit mystified as to why Marklin chose ballast loads which don't look very plausible for flat cars!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 20 April 2022 02:05:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Thank you. That is an interesting set which I have not seen before. I like that one too. You are right, I think any locomotive could be used with service/maintenance wagons. You see the V100/212 locos on many different service roles. I will consider purchasing these if I get a chance.

Since I have my hill challenged layout, I have to be careful adding extra weight to my wagons. I came up with some great looking loads, but found many of my locomotives could not pull them all. Darn!!! Only a few of my stronger ones are able to pull them (BR 151, E194). Seems adding track sections would look great but I might have to keep this wagons in the yard because of the entra weight. The load on the 8776 set is a workers wagon. A lightweight addition.

UserPostedImage

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 20 April 2022 23:40:38(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

An actual Wiebe track reconstruction operation in action.

Amazing operation to keep the track safe.

Take good care.

Dwight