Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rfeist  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2022 20:58:07(UTC)
rfeist

Canada   
Hi Everyone, I am a new member to the forum and have started setting up my layout after 40+ years and have a specific question on how signal reacts to the circuit tracks. I have set up one track of automatic operations with Signal with start / stop circuit tracks placed on the layout and everything is operating fine. I have set up a second set of 2 signals along with start / stop circuits for trains running in opposite directions on a parallel set of tracks which turn via a turnouts on either side of the tracks to a single shared track. One runs while the other is stopped and then each train will start the other as they come into their section of the parallel track. One of the classic layouts in the Marklin Signal Manual. Everything is working fine except for the operation of one Signal and Circuit track combination.

The issues I have is the following:

1) The signal is green when the train rolls over the circuit track to change the signal to stop. The solenoid slider on the Signal does move but not enough to change the light to red but it looks like it moved the slider enough to stop the train when it comes around. (see 2)
2) Once the train comes back onto it's section of track and stops at the signal even though the signal shows green.
3) The other train comes into its own track and releases the train that is stopped at the green signal and the train moves on as before, runs over the circuit track to set signal to stop. Again slider moves but not enough to change the light to Red.

It seems as a whole the automate start / stop functionality is operating as expected except the one signal set up the light does not go to Red and stays on green even though the slider on the signal moves to set a stop on the track. Any insights on how I might resolve this.

This is what I have tried but has not worked

1) Changing out a Circuit Track with another one to see if the problem may be circuit track.
2) Add a transformer (just for Signals) to see if it might be a power issue. It seem to have resolved the situation for a couple of trips around the layout but then reverted to what is was doing before.
3) I have distributed 3 feeder tracks around a 3.5 by 7 ft loop. I can easily run two locomotives in this configuration with no drop in power around the layout. This track has its own dedicated transformer for the locomotives.
4) Tested the Signal by hooking it up to a 7072 Control Switch and see if Signal changes from Green to Red and it did without any issues doing it manually.

I can live with the problem, but would like to get the signal to work properly and switch to Red when is should be Red. This way I at least I know automatic operation will not cause the trains to be released on the shared track at the same time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone in advance for your time.

Ralph

Offline PacoM  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2022 22:03:18(UTC)
PacoM

Spain   
It seems to be an issue with the contacts activated by the solenoid, so that I suggest opening the signal and watching what is the problem. I experienced once the same effect and solved it by bending one of the small contact plates, but perhaps mine was a different signal. Posting a picture of the inside could help.
Offline rfeist  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2022 03:21:08(UTC)
rfeist

Canada   
Thanks for the suggestion, will do as suggested and see if this resolves the problem. I am using signal 7239.