Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2022 11:17:01(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
A88E2D12-59B4-49C5-BD25-8B53235A3076.jpeg9FAAFA52-8999-4AB6-B101-43AC85455E85.jpegI have a mini-club test track that includes 145mm radius curves, a turnout, a circuit track and an uncoupler to see how locos cope with these items.
The idea of an additional ‘running in’ track using a figure of eight appealed as it would obviously include left and right curves to give equal wear. To make it compact I have used Rokuhan 145mm radius curves and a 90 degree crossing (which Märklin don’t make, hence choice of Rokuhan) and a Rokuhan controller - although for anything other than can motored locos I have to use a normal mini-club controller as the Rokuhan will trip with the higher current that these 3 & 5 pole locos draw.
The relatively tight curves clean the wheels and conventional pickup wipers, from out of the box new you can see how the engines get smoother in a short time.
Drawback is - it is no good for the new designs which restrict the bogie movement such that they cannot negotiate the minimum radius of 145mm, but since those locos won’t run on my Tessein either there is not much point running them in.
Reading on this forum about ultra tiny screws to hold down Märklin mini-club track I tried to obtain some but the smallest I could find are Minitrix screws which happen to be ideal for Z gauge Rokuhan.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2022 22:11:46(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
it's endless!
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2022 02:25:44(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
My simple warm up track, two lengths of Marklin 660mm silver soldered both sets of joints. Avoiding melting sleepers was a challenge. Slightly oval. Inside rail is cut shorter. Track glued to a piece of Forex (expanded PVC) with solvent.

I can't even sit a loco on the rails properly!
_MG_0223_100458.jpg

I replace the Marklin oil which turns into wax, with Faller oil 170489.

Maybe I should knock up something a bit more extravagant with all the pre-curved track I have replaced with 660mm lengths.
Offline Mman  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2022 22:14:34(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Went down to Gaugemaster today and bought some Faller oil to try, I shudder to think how much per gallon it cost! Whilst there returned the Vectron under the warranty since as they don’t mention a minimum radius it should work on all mini-club track but doesn’t. Therefore it must be faulty.
We’ll see what happens.
Also bought a new 88741 in a scuffed box for a song but resisted other locos going equally as cheap.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Zme
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2022 05:50:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

You made the right decision on your Vectron. If only it could have been fixed on the spot. The wait will be well worth it, I am sure. Maybe you will find another bargain on your visit.

Great luck on the purchase of the BR 64 tank locomotive. I have the 88740 and often team it with my 8895s (I have several) when I need a little more pulling power for a longer string of wagons. One at the front, one at the back. Works great. Hope yours works well on your layout.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Mman  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2022 13:16:57(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Further to the Vectron problem, I had a phone call from the dealer (to whom I had returned the loco under the warranty) last week. He told me that although Märklin have received their emails on the subjects they are not answering. The dealer suggested that they refund my money which they have.
For the future it will be awkward, unless Trainini, for example, publish a comprehensive test on new z locos including will they run on 145mm curves I’m not to know whether it is worth ordering. If the dealer happens to have in stock a new loco I want I suppose I could take an oval with 145mm curves with me and see if they will let me try out in the shop. Or, Märklin could get their act together and accurately describe their products or, less likely, they go back to proper chassis which have worked so well for the last 49 years.
ChrisG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mman