Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DanK  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2022 23:59:17(UTC)
DanK

United States   
I am trying to install several contact track locations (one rail electrically isolated, wagon axels make connection), and would like to have one on a K-track turnout. However, unlike straight track, the different sides of the track on the turnout are electrically connected. Any way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a place where the electrical connection between rails can be cut, but not sure how or where.

Any suggestions?

Dan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DanK
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2022 02:00:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
it is always the outside track which is the contact rail with its continuous power supply, the inside rail is always the activating rail
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Ross  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2022 03:40:35(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Dan,

Why do you want a contact track on the turnout?
What are you trying to monitor?
Are you using 3rd party software or just the central station?

Originally Posted by: DanK Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to install several contact track locations (one rail electrically isolated, wagon axels make connection), and would like to have one on a K-track turnout. However, unlike straight track, the different sides of the track on the turnout are electrically connected. Any way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a place where the electrical connection between rails can be cut, but not sure how or where.

Any suggestions?

Dan

Ross
Online JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2022 12:33:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dan
I agree with Ross. Having contact tracks on switches may cause problems and are not needed neither by a CS3 nor by a software like Rocrail.
Here is my train operation using Rocrail where not one switch has been modified for detection purposes

Switches Double slip switches are precision tools to help the trains glide without bumps and provide good contact and fiddling with them is detrimental to those qualities.
It is very easy to have detection tracks before and after the switch w/o creating the slightest problem but providing the needed security.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline DanK  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:06:35(UTC)
DanK

United States   
Thanks for the responses!

OK, time for more details....

Crossing.jpg

I want to install a Viessmann model 5104 crossing at the yellow line in the photo. At the four red lines, I want to have sensors to signal the crossing to close (and reopen when leaving).

So I guess my question should have been "How best do I do that?" I thought contact tracks made the most sense. I would want the crossing closed if any train or wagon is between the red lines. But then I wondered, should I make the whole region between the red lines a contact track area? But the turnouts would be a problem. I don't want the crossing to open if, for example, I just have a Locomotive running, it crosses the contact track at the top of the photo (one of the red lines), but then passes over the turnouts (with no contact track) and the crossing would re-open.

So, how do I best do this? I am open to non-contact track suggestions (IR sensors?), but contact tracks seem the easiest to work with. I guess I can do it with the right electronics, but not sure which ones...

I am using K-track. System is Delta, but will upgrade to full digital (probably MS initially, but Central Station in the future), so solution can count on either MS or CS being there.

Thanks for help!!!
Dan
Offline DanK  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:15:24(UTC)
DanK

United States   
One more thing...
The Viessmann installation instructions are pretty poor. Help in how to connect contact tracts to crossing would be appreciated. Crossing has usual two blue wire inputs. What electronic unit is best to use? Viessman suggests their 5206 unit, but I'm not convinced...

Thanks!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:52:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the responses!

OK, time for more details....

I want to install a Viessmann model 5104 crossing at the yellow line in the photo. At the four red lines, I want to have sensors to signal the crossing to close (and reopen when leaving).

So I guess my question should have been "How best do I do that?" I thought contact tracks made the most sense. I would want the crossing closed if any train or wagon is between the red lines. But then I wondered, should I make the whole region between the red lines a contact track area? But the turnouts would be a problem. I don't want the crossing to open if, for example, I just have a Locomotive running, it crosses the contact track at the top of the photo (one of the red lines), but then passes over the turnouts (with no contact track) and the crossing would re-open.

So, how do I best do this? I am open to non-contact track suggestions (IR sensors?), but contact tracks seem the easiest to work with. I guess I can do it with the right electronics, but not sure which ones...

I am using K-track. System is Delta, but will upgrade to full digital (probably MS initially, but Central Station in the future), so solution can count on either MS or CS being there.

Thanks for help!!!
Dan

I would use a time delay in the sensor to ensure that any small train doesn't allow the crossing to open while the train is on the points, and just include all the ordinary track between the red lines as contact track. Most sensing systems have some form of (often configurable) time delay in them to allow for switch bounce, wheel contact problems, etc, and I would make that as large as needed to keep the gates down.
Online JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2022 16:10:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dan
With slow-moving gates, often it is not feasible to have them driven by a conventional contact track section (You need approx 1 m of detection for the gates to be closed well in advance of the train.
In conventional operation (not fully automatic by software) you must have contact section well in advance of the gate with possibly condition contacts (switches position)
In Rocrail operation, you must control the gates with schedules and sometimes Routes are too short. In this case, I order a train stop at a signal while the gate is closing. The alternative is to close the gate way in advance
Here is the Gate operation in combination with the Faller car system (early part of video)

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline DanK  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2022 17:47:01(UTC)
DanK

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would use a time delay in the sensor to ensure that any small train doesn't allow the crossing to open while the train is on the points, and just include all the ordinary track between the red lines as contact track. Most sensing systems have some form of (often configurable) time delay in them to allow for switch bounce, wheel contact problems, etc, and I would make that as large as needed to keep the gates down.

Thanks!
Can you suggest a specific sensor that would allow a time delay?
Offline Ross  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2022 07:39:37(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Dan,

I downloaded the 5104 instruction manual and had a read before answering you.

Control of the level crossing is very versatile and with that in mind you have to decide how you will control it. I suggest you setup a test track with the level crossing to try different options before committing what you like to your layout. The problem you face on your layout is the very limited space to be able to follow the instructions to get the best operation. You will have to experiment with extra sensors and a good third party train control software would be my choice.

Things you should take into account are how fast are the trains travelling?
What is the longest train length and what is the shortest train length? This will require different sensor locations to get the best control of the level crossing.
Is the track bi-directional or single direction? Location of sensors will be different for each case.

To my way of thinking you want warning lights and bells to start first then after a small delay the barriers lower fully before the train arrives at the crossing and the barriers raise just after the last car of the train or trains of various lengths have cleared the crossing. Once the barriers have raised the lights and bell will stop.

Third party train control software will make control of the level crossing mush easier to fine tune.

Jean's video of the level crossing only showed the barriers being raised and I'm not sure what level crossing he is using but since he has a functioning level crossing his advise will be valuable.

There are many ways to wire up and control the level crossing so experiment before deciding.

You asked about a sensor with time delay which would imply all your trains are the same length or very close to the same maximum length, is this true?
Your option of sensors is determined by how you will control your layout and as you stated you are using delta control at the moment. You need to upgrade to a good central station where at some stage you may want to try computer train control. As you can see Jean and I use computer control software which we enjoy.

If you don't want computer train control you have limited your options to analogue or digital control only, still doable but with less refinement.
Ross
Offline DanK  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2022 21:49:03(UTC)
DanK

United States   
Thank you Ross, for taking the time to download and read the instructions! And cool to get a response all the way from Sydney...

I am aware of the space issue, and was actually planning on having the contact tracks further away from the crossing than shown in my photo; the photo was more to show the general set-up. I also may someday have computer control; but for now I don't. I'm still on Delta, but expect to switch to a mobile station soon. Central station is still a ways off. So I would like to be able to use the crossing with my existing Delta system, or upcoming Mobile Station system. I also expect to have an extra fixed power supply for lights and other items, that could be used for some of the crossing setups. The detailed prototypeness that you describe (Flashing lights coming on first, then the gates closing...) would be nice in the future; for now I would be happy if the darn thing opens and closes as a train approaches and passes!

My main issue right now is that the manual for the crossing mainly tells how to connect it using Circuit tracks (what the manual refers to as "Switching tracks"), such as the Marklin #2299 or #24994 (K and C track respectively), when what I want to use are contact tracks such as Marklin #2295. My track is already laid, so I don't want to tear it up to install circuit tracks. I can make my own contact tracks with a little cutting and soldering of existing track.

But what I am not sure about is whether I can just replace the circuit tracks in the various examples in the manual with contact tracks. Will the same relays (shown in the manual for use with circuit tracks) work with contract tracks??? The circuit track works work more like an on-off switch: once switched to on or off, it stays there. Contract tracks turn on for a few seconds, then turn back off. Would this require a different relay and/or setup?

The question I asked about time delay was because I am concerned that the crossing, after closing, will reopen if a short train comes through and is in an area (like on the two turnouts in photo) with no contact track. But that is a detail, and I think I can solve it by using more contact areas (but if someone can suggest a way to do a slight time delay of a couple seconds, I'd appreciate it).

Thanks for any advice!
Dan
Offline Ross  
#12 Posted : 06 April 2022 01:40:40(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Dan,

Have you tested the operation of the level crossing?

Since you don't want to install switching tracks (momentary) you need to look at contact rails (occupied) Fig.11 I think.

You could also try making a contact strip between the sleepers which is switched by the loco collector shoe (momentary) centre rail switch.

Another option is to mount small micro switches which are switched by the loco collector shoe.

My suggestion still holds to experiment on a test section of track to determine where you need to cut track so you will only cut once on your layout.

The people I know who have this Viessmann level crossing all use digital control and train control software.

Are there other Marklin users that live close to you who maybe able to provide help?
Ross
Offline DanK  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2022 02:00:06(UTC)
DanK

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post

The people I know who have this Viessmann level crossing all use digital control and train control software.

Are there other Marklin users that live close to you who maybe able to provide help?

What level of digital control would be needed (in order to go digital with the crossing)? Mobile Station? Central station? Central station plus computer with software? I guess I could just install it without connecting, for looks, until I upgrade the electronics...

Closest Marklin users I know are in Germany!
Crying
Offline Ross  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2022 06:32:10(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Dan,

Do you know about ETE (European Train Enthusiasts)?

ETE_upstate NY

ETE_metro_NY

I'll ask my friend how he uses the crossing with TrainController it may take some time.

Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post

Closest Marklin users I know are in Germany!
Crying

Ross