Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mbjerre  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2022 13:06:41(UTC)
Mbjerre

Hi!
I recently started again with model railroading (märklin) but this time all in on digital
I purchased some led lights from Faller and an M84 which is connected to the power from my c track.
The led lights are flickering like crazy though, so Ive tried to understand what is needed to fix it. Do I need to power the m84 with DC power? Is there any circuit track available? Or should I power the M84 with AC power, then power the light with external DC power? I appreciate any tips or help I can get here!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2022 14:33:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: Mbjerre Go to Quoted Post
Do I need to power the m84 with DC power?
The m84 is operated by track power, but since it has relays it can switch any external power source.
LEDs will flicker if fed by track power.
For LEDs an external DC source is the best option, of course.
LEDs may still flicker when fed with AC.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2022 14:42:21(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You can try that without harm. Led's can flicker when resistors are not installed between them and the power source. I had that happen often on my old M track layout with a 6021 controller and older Marklin lighted passenger cars with incandescant bulbs even. A standard small 1 m/a-m/v 1/2 watt tan color round resistor with red and silver bands should do fine.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Mbjerre  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2022 23:10:03(UTC)
Mbjerre

Thanks a lot for your advice!
I'm really bad at wiring things and knowing what I can do or not.

So if I understand this correctly, I can connect a power to the M84 and still keep it connected to the C-track (to get digital connection I assume?) and it will not take power from both?

How can I make the connected power to be DC?

There is a Märklin 66360 (I think?) which was included with my starter pack that I could connect to M84 but I've read somewhere you need a Märklin 60822.

If you take a look at my great painting, this is the connection that I have right now (without the external power AC)
current-setup.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mbjerre
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2022 00:11:40(UTC)
H0

Connecting the 66360 (with or without 60822) to the m84 won't do any good.

If you had an m83 then the 66360 would help to reduce the flicker.

It would help to use power from the 66360 for the LED.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline phils2um  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2022 01:06:46(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
The led lights are flickering like crazy though, so Ive tried to understand what is needed to fix it.

The leds flicker because the digital power being fed to them is alternating (dare I say alternating current?BigGrin ). One solution is to feed the M84 output and the track return to a bridge rectifier AC input and use the DC output to power the led. It's basically what I have done to feed digital track power to leds in switch lanterns on my garden RR.
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2022 19:14:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, cycling digital signal, and the LED's react. Can a small capacitor also help? Wether led or incandescant bulbs, they can either use a/c, or d/c current.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline phils2um  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2022 19:25:00(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Can a small capacitor also help?

Only if the "keep alive" circuit is properly designed to isolate the capacitor from the track. Otherwise it can degrade the digital signal.
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2022 22:59:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
The led lights are flickering like crazy though, so Ive tried to understand what is needed to fix it.

The leds flicker because the digital power being fed to them is alternating (dare I say alternating current?BigGrin ). One solution is to feed the M84 output and the track return to a bridge rectifier AC input and use the DC output to power the led. It's basically what I have done to feed digital track power to leds in switch lanterns on my garden RR.

It flickers, not because the signal is an alternating current, but because the mfx signal has gaps in the signal which are the periods when the mfx decoder sends its identification signal back to the controller.

If you really need to use an LED then a small bridge rectifier with a capacitor (5-10uF should be plenty I think, use a 35V or greater rating) between the LED and its supply should be adequate. Put these components between the lamp in your diagram and the yellow and brown wires feeding the lamp.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BenP  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2022 23:12:31(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I use a rectifier and resistor to get correct dc voltage for LEDs and include a small capacitor (470uF) to limit flickering when powered from digital "AC" track. I use a separate DC power source for other LEDs (like house lights, lanterns, etc), powering up to 50 LEDs from a small and cheap 1-1.5A transformer. I use LEDs and LED strips that allow up to 20V, so an old 12 volt DC source works great (you probably have one from retired electronics in a drawer).
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline rbw993  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2022 14:11:01(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
The easiest way to do this is to connect one lead from the power supply to the center set screw connection of say terminal one. Connect the other lead to the ground of the signal. For a 2 color signal the rest is easy, connect the red lead from the signal to the red set screw on terminal one and then green lead to the green set screw terminal. The polarity of the leads is determined by how the led's in the signal are wired. If the signal doesn't light, swap them.

Signals with more than two colors require more than one terminal because either the red or green is always on. In the technical manual for the 60842 (newest M84) there is a mode selection that supposedly give 8 individual outputs but I haven't tried that.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2022 15:32:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
It flickers, not because the signal is an alternating current, but because the mfx signal has gaps in the signal which are the periods when the mfx decoder sends its identification signal back to the controller.
There should be no cut-outs with mfx, but there are longer periods without polarity change.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mbjerre  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2022 21:42:42(UTC)
Mbjerre

Very late reply here but I've read all your comments which guided me to making it work as I wanted, thanks a lot guys!
I got it working by using an external DC power and moving the previously connected cables from track power to the DC power (according to image).

If anyone is curious I ordered the following items to make it work for me:
https://www.modellbahnsh...95/gb/modell_375984.html
https://www.modellbahnsh...93/gb/modell_375983.html

I also ordered two really tiny (almost non existing) led lights that was intended to be used in an outhouse.
With my zero knowledge of current and electrics I powered one of them into the newly bought 12V DC power (via M84 and Märklin 72090).
So if I got it right, a small led light which has a maximum of 25ma was powered into 500ma.
The rest is history...

What would be needed to buy in order to step down in power to be used for a led like this? https://modellbau-schoen...d-smd-3528-plcc2-kaltwei

I have a soldering iron but don't know if I need a switch regulator, resistor (I'm just name dropping stuff I've heard about).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mbjerre
Offline BenP  
#14 Posted : 08 April 2022 05:14:33(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Very late reply here but I've read all your comments which guided me to making it work as I wanted, thanks a lot guys!
I got it working by using an external DC power and moving the previously connected cables from track power to the DC power (according to image).

If anyone is curious I ordered the following items to make it work for me:
https://www.modellbahnsh...95/gb/modell_375984.html
https://www.modellbahnsh...93/gb/modell_375983.html

I also ordered two really tiny (almost non existing) led lights that was intended to be used in an outhouse.
With my zero knowledge of current and electrics I powered one of them into the newly bought 12V DC power (via M84 and Märklin 72090).
So if I got it right, a small led light which has a maximum of 25ma was powered into 500ma.
The rest is history...

What would be needed to buy in order to step down in power to be used for a led like this? https://modellbau-schoen...d-smd-3528-plcc2-kaltwei

I have a soldering iron but don't know if I need a switch regulator, resistor (I'm just name dropping stuff I've heard about).

LEDs are 3V, so you need a resister to allow greater voltage. Such equipped 5-18V ready LEDs are cheap on eBay. You can also buy LEDs with rectifier, allowing 18V AC power, which would be required for carriage lights from track power.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2022 08:39:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
LEDs are 3V, so you need a resister to allow greater voltage.
Some LEDs are rated for about 1.5 V, some LEDs are rated around 3 V, some around 4 V.
Voltage is not the problem. Current is the problem because LEDs do not limit the current.

A resistor is the simple solution to limit the current to below 20 mA. Most LEDs can handle 20 mA, but make tests as some are very bright with 2 mA already.
A Google search for "led resistor calculator" finds many sites.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mbjerre  
#16 Posted : 09 April 2022 00:16:58(UTC)
Mbjerre

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
LEDs are 3V, so you need a resister to allow greater voltage.
Some LEDs are rated for about 1.5 V, some LEDs are rated around 3 V, some around 4 V.
Voltage is not the problem. Current is the problem because LEDs do not limit the current.

A resistor is the simple solution to limit the current to below 20 mA. Most LEDs can handle 20 mA, but make tests as some are very bright with 2 mA already.
A Google search for "led resistor calculator" finds many sites.

I took something in between (10mA) and did the following calculation: (12-3.4)/.010=860 ohm
So now I need to find where I can buy resistors here in Sweden BigGrin

Thanks for the help guys!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 09 April 2022 00:53:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I took something in between (10mA) and did the following calculation: (12-3.4)/.010=860 ohm

One of the easiest will be Farnell but I think for an outhouse you will fine that at 10mA the LED will be far too bright. My initial thought was to use a 10k ohm resistor, but as you won't be able to buy a single resistor (they will probably be a 5 or 10 pack minimum) you could purchase a smaller value like 2.2k and you can then use multiple resistors in series to achieve the desired brightness.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Mbjerre  
#18 Posted : 09 April 2022 02:14:40(UTC)
Mbjerre

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

One of the easiest will be Farnell but I think for an outhouse you will fine that at 10mA the LED will be far too bright. My initial thought was to use a 10k ohm resistor, but as you won't be able to buy a single resistor (they will probably be a 5 or 10 pack minimum) you could purchase a smaller value like 2.2k and you can then use multiple resistors in series to achieve the desired brightness.

I see, yea you're probably right!
I will see if I can find something like that in a shop here in Sweden tomorrow!

By the way, do I add a resistor to each of the two cables from the led?

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 09 April 2022 03:44:07(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No, but I can't recall whether it's the anode or cathode you connect it to. There are plenty of diagrams on the Internet. The alternate method is to apply power to your resistor and apply that to one of your led connections with the power supply returnapplied to the other connection. If that doesn't work reverse the connections until it works. You won't damage the led as current will only flow one way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline PJMärklin  
#20 Posted : 09 April 2022 09:04:01(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
No, but I can't recall whether it's the anode or cathode you connect it to. There are plenty of diagrams on the Internet. The alternate method is to apply power to your resistor and apply that to one of your led connections with the power supply return applied to the other connection. If that doesn't work reverse the connections until it works. You won't damage the led as current will only flow one way.

If I may take the liberty of commenting, Blushing I usually add the resistor to the anode side of an LED, thus :

UserPostedImage

but from my wider reading (e.g. https://www.google.com/s...r+cathode+of+an+LED+%3F)

and again at :

UserPostedImage

, I am not sure it really matters which side of the LED you connect the resistor, so long as it is in the LED circuit it still controls the current ?

PJBigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin