Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2022 18:34:20(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I like to build HO structures like stations, houses, etc. I like to use wood, so I mill my own materials. But when it gets down to materials that are 1/32", I find it hard to mill due to its fragility. I can cut 1/32" strips from balsa with no problem but trying to cut harder woods is a problem. For example, I need some posts that measure 1/8x1/8 cross section. If I try to cut it on my 10" table saw, the wood just fractures and gets sucked down the blade insert plate. The wood is too hard to cut with any xacto type blades. You can buy wood strips the size I'm needing but would like to make them myself. I wonder how commercial model wood suppliers produce their fine wood strips. It's not the cost of buying wood strips that bothers me. It's that I may need a small bit for a current project but ordering it from the internet takes a few days when I need it NOW.

Can anyone tell me how they deal with obtaining fine wood sections and if they mill them themselves. I'm about to go out to my shop and see if I can mill up some 1/8" square posts for a station I am building. Balsa is much too weak for sections this small. I have to use a harder wood.
Offline DTaylor91  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2022 19:32:03(UTC)
DTaylor91

Have you tried using a very thin cutoff disc as opposed to a regular saw blade? Otherwise, a full-size table saw may be too large for the job
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2022 19:47:43(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Ron,
Micro Mark Offers mini table saws starting at about $130. I don't have one. I build structures two but I buy my wood from Northeastern Scale Lumber.

A 10" table saw is just to big and powerful. I think you also need a high tooth count on small blade to what you want to do.

If one of your hobbies is acquiring cool tools you might not want to check out Micro Mark on-line. Too tempting!

Regards,
Roger

Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2022 20:58:19(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I just returned from my shop and was successful in milling 1/8x1/8 strips from bass wood. They came out perfectly even with a 40-tooth carbide blade. I doubt if I will try to mill anything thinner than 1/8. Thin material can get caught under the fence. I think 1/8" is do-able and probably the smallest I want to try. I will have to make my projects with the minimum of 1/8" as my base. I started with 1x1/8 strips and from that cut 1/8 square sections. Bass wood is a nice wood to work with.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2022 21:23:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Proxxon also make a mini table saw. A past member of the club I go to had one for doing similar small strip cutting.

I think it might have been this one.

Offline Norbstarted1969  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2022 04:33:24(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
You might want to try a smaller thin kerf blade on your 10" table saw and clamp a piece of wood to the fence flush with the table. Also, you could make or buy a 0 clearance throat plate which will keep a small workpiece from getting drawn into the machine.

Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2022 05:40:17(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Dremel make a circular saw. Then there is their normal Dremel tool, which I have the Bosch 10.8v equivalent, it's great. You could knock up a table saw to mount one of these with a very narrow clearance next to the disc.

Often one spends infinitely more time designing a tool for only a few parts, but it is still quicker and better quality than stumbling around and losing fingers.
Offline Ausipeet  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2022 05:55:55(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
best way to cut timber that small would be with a 10 inch band Saw, i cut 3mm square on mine on a regular basis and can even cut 1 mm planks on there as well.