Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2022 19:29:35(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I have been building paper model buildings and houses in HO scale for my ongoing railroad project. I started using paper cutouts from Alistair Lee and they were OK. I built a scale model of the house I live in but when I compare it to the Alistair Lee models, my house is so much larger than the paper models from Alistair Lee. The model of my house which is a typical 1800SF ranch is too large to fit into my layout; it just takes up too much real estate. It seems that commercial structures are made under sized. I built a paper model house that scales up to a single-story size of just over 500SF; It takes up a space of just 3-3/4" x 2-7/8". The model of my house takes up a space of 7" x 8" in an L-shape. It appears to me that model building has to take into account available space and compromise taken to fit buildings and structures into perspective. The models you see on layouts look alright until you place scale people and vehicles in the scene, a supermarket appears too small and could only hold very few people.

Other examples: roadways are too narrow; center road strips are much too long and wide; If they were in scale, they would barely show up. I guess model railroaders take a very large license in designing their layouts. I see people swimming and fishing in a pool of water barely larger than an actual mud puddle. Houses and buildings are placed much too close to trackwork. I know this is a compromise due to space considerations. We can't all have a layout like a "Miniature Wonderland" where everything is in scale. I find that most layouts have too much trackwork which crowds out any secondary components, like buildings and scenery. My layout that is in the process of being built shows me that I am trying to fit a large amount of trackage into a small space. Sure, it's nice to see a long train run around and negotiate turnouts and the like, but structures are taking a back seat and I discovered it by the model house I built to scale.

Being an engineer and attentive of detail, my tendency is to have a "critical" eye of the world around me and also of myself. I don't know if I am just being over-critical and should just get over it and accept things as they are.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2022 20:13:52(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Remeber Ron, not all of us have enough space for a correct to scale diorama. However, the illusion can still be created. Sometimes we may need to use a material that is too thick or thin for lack of the propper size being available.
Iv'e learned it doesn't have to be perfect. When a few details are left to imagination by viewers, it's more fun.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline 1borna  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2022 20:23:16(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Our layouts are concentrates of some reality, if we wanted to be closer to the real we would care very little about them.
I saw a few layouts that were done on a real scale and they looked empty (I mean the relief and the surroundings of the track)
There is a well-known saying "Less is more" which is hard to stick to because our desires are always bigger than space.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2022 00:04:15(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Wrong scale happens in relation to council DAs (development application) as well, not only train layouts. A new building was proposed next to my block of units. As part of the DA a 1:200 scale model must be provided of the proposed building & surrounding buildings.

The developer made our building larger so his development looked smaller.

He didn't know there was an architectural model maker next door who picked his plans to pieces. He also moved the sun 40° to improve shadows diagrams. Just some of the lies.

A typical council DA application model (I don't do dodgy scaled DA models, developers can go elsewhere)
63385_090101.jpg

I scratch built these buildings in Z gauge. Simplified a bit to spit them out as quick at possible. About 3 a day for basic buildings. Church and locomotive shed about 2 days each. The locomotive shed I simplified the glass roof further.
220-scale-buildings_090949.jpg
The Goppingen signal building is a copy of the Marklin 8965, which is in turn a shrunken version of the real building, it is much longer, but most model railways will not have the room for the full length building. Even if they have room the layout will look too crowded.

Some scales, trains are shrunken a lot lengthwise. So what scale does one use for buildings?

One could have every building to the correct scale, but then one should have track radius to the correct scale. Also road widths, intersections, roundabouts, stop light placement, footpaths etc. If you have the room, great, otherwise it is probably better to be a bit flexible on technical scale accuracy so the layout looks good.

Quite frankly we have far too many rail linear metres per square km of scenery on every model layout, but it looks good.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2022 05:42:22(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Great topic and one that I have been struggling with on my Z scale layout. I have found that taking some liberties, if within tasteful bounds, is often a necessity and I'm mostly okay with that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2022 11:49:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
A new building was proposed next to my block of units. As part of the DA a 1:200 scale model must be provided of the proposed building & surrounding buildings.
The developer made our building larger so his development looked smaller.
He didn't know there was an architectural model maker next door who picked his plans to pieces. He also moved the sun 40° to improve shadows diagrams.

Such a funny story! Loved it.
I dont think I have commented much on your posts in general, but they are always a real treat! ThumpUp
Your micro-scale work is superb. I cant even get close to that in H0...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa