Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2022 17:40:37(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

I make no excuses that I'm a huge bullet train fanboy and it's slightly embarassing how much I adore them.

One thing that I feel often gets unnoticed about these trains is actually travelling on them.

Sure...you hardly ever see any magical scenery from your window on most high speed lines but my goodness....the sheer speed of these machines is something to behold lol

Below is a video I shot around 5 years ago on a French TGV bullet train at speed, travelling from Paris to Bordeaux.

Because I was sitting in the lower deck of this bi-level TGV...the sensation of speed is increased, maybe cause I was more lower to the ground?

Anyways....here ya go:

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2022 21:41:20(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Darnell,

Interesting.
North Of Orleans and about 2-300 metres east of that line are occasional 1km long bridge type concrete structures that appear disused.
They are about 3-5 metres high, and the top is not necessarly level.
I have never been able to find out what they are.
Did you notice them?

The civil engineeering of these high speed lines (Japan, Germany, France, China) is quite a marvel.
My impression (from single level trains not duplex) is that 80% of the line appears to be below natural ground level.
Which sucks from a scenic aspect but makes the line cheaper to build (maybe).

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2022 01:18:01(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Darnell,

Interesting.
North Of Orleans and about 2-300 metres east of that line are occasional 1km long bridge type concrete structures that appear disused.
Did you notice them?

The civil engineeering of these high speed lines (Japan, Germany, France, China) is quite a marvel.
My impression (from single level trains not duplex) is that 80% of the line appears to be below natural ground level.
Which sucks from a scenic aspect but makes the line cheaper to build (maybe).

Kimball

Hey Kimball,

I don't think I've ever noticed these structures you speak of mate.

Yeah making these lines cheaper to build must be of high importance if they're stretching literally for thousands of miles.

Indeed its mighty impressive from an engineering standpoint ThumpUp

Online marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2022 01:24:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've never heard of those concrete structures either. Smooth ride on aTGV for sure. These can take up to 15 kilometers to reach those higher speeds.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2022 03:18:58(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
In 1982 I went to Japan for a holiday. Went on a few bullet trains. It was only 200 kph in those days. It was a modestly rough ride.

Many years later have been on the German ICE, you could play billiards without issues.

By comparison, Australian trains feel like they will fall off the track at 10 kph!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2022 09:44:01(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I've never heard of those concrete structures either. Smooth ride on aTGV for sure. These can take up to 15 kilometers to reach those higher speeds.

A very smooth ride the TGV is although I think maybe the Chinese have the smoothest. Travelled on one in 2015 from Beijing to Shenzhen which stayed almost constantly at 307 km/h lol. Maybe the ballastless track contributes to the damn smooth ride quality?!! Better yet...here is the video I shot of this experience:

Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
In 1982 I went to Japan for a holiday. Went on a few bullet trains. It was only 200 kph in those days. It was a modestly rough ride.

Many years later have been on the German ICE, you could play billiards without issues.

By comparison, Australian trains feel like they will fall off the track at 10 kph!

Oh how times have change Toosmall!!! LOL

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2022 10:08:13(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Did you notice them?

Outside Orléans, the remains of the abandoned elevated concrete "Aérotrain" (an experimental hovertrain) test track are visible from the parallel SNCF Paris-Orléans railway: https://www.atlasobscura...ain-d-orleans-test-track
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2022 10:11:55(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Did you notice them?

Outside Orléans, the remains of the abandoned elevated concrete "Aérotrain" (an experimental hovertrain) test track are visible from the parallel SNCF Paris-Orléans railway: https://www.atlasobscura...ain-d-orleans-test-track

Ooooooooh...nice find! ThumpUp

Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2022 11:46:06(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I did Paris-Strasborg a while back. Couldn't watch the scenery for long because my eyeballs got tired flicking too and fro! My impression was that miles of earth banks had been built up along the line to reduce noise in the surrounding area. Fast yes but I didn't feel that I was travelling in style.

By comparison the train from Nurenberg to Frankurt, was very stylish.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline PJMärklin  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2022 13:28:23(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Cuthbert 80 Go to Quoted Post
… I think maybe the Chinese have the smoothest.

But are not most of the “Chinese” high speed trains units actually built by Siemens of Germany, Alstom of La France (previously of Germany) and Bombardier of Canada ? :

https://www.google.com.a...aw35sO_wh3ORfl3VfzgyAjMS
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2022 16:07:26(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I did Paris-Strasborg a while back. Couldn't watch the scenery for long because my eyeballs got tired flicking too and fro! My impression was that miles of earth banks had been built up along the line to reduce noise in the surrounding area. Fast yes but I didn't feel that I was travelling in style.

By comparison the train from Nurenberg to Frankurt, was very stylish.

Laugh Fair enough mate!

I could watch that kind of scenery flashing by at 200mph forever! That and have some Kate Bush music playing in the background while I'm at it!!! LOL

Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

But are not most of the “Chinese” high speed trains units actually built by Siemens of Germany, Alstom of La France (previously of Germany) and Bombardier of Canada ? :

Hey PJMärklin,

I think you're right although I believe now the Chinese are making an effort to replace all their high speed trainsets from other countries/companies with homegrown talent.

They make a big deal out of the trains on their main flagship Beijing to Shanghai route not only cause they hold the fastest train service in the world (350 km/h) but also cause their "Fuxing" bullet trains are apparently completely Chinese built/manufactured without any "transfer of technology" from other countries Mellow

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2022 21:19:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Did you notice them?

Ooooooooh...nice find! ThumpUp

It is worth keeping track of the Abandoned Engineering series on the Yesterday Channel (in the UK) as this line appears in one of those episodes.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline danmarklinman  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2022 21:49:44(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

I make no excuses that I'm a huge bullet train fanboy and it's slightly embarassing how much I adore them.

One thing that I feel often gets unnoticed about these trains is actually travelling on them.

Sure...you hardly ever see any magical scenery from your window on most high speed lines but my goodness....the sheer speed of these machines is something to behold lol

Below is a video I shot around 5 years ago on a French TGV bullet train at speed, travelling from Paris to Bordeaux.

Because I was sitting in the lower deck of this bi-level TGV...the sensation of speed is increased, maybe cause I was more lower to the ground?

Anyways....here ya go:

Yep I share your obsession with them, although I don’t have the room on my layout for a 6 car TGV. I have traveled a lot on TGVs over the years. It’s quite easy these days to do a day trip to Paris or Brussels and Amsterdam on a Eurostar. What I find odd, is why Marklin haven’t done a Z TGV? We would all have room for a full ten car train?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2022 02:28:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Hey PJMärklin,

I think you're right although I believe now the Chinese are making an effort to replace all their high speed trainsets from other countries/companies with homegrown talent.

They make a big deal out of the trains on their main flagship Beijing to Shanghai route not only cause they hold the fastest train service in the world (350 km/h) but also cause their "Fuxing" bullet trains are apparently completely Chinese built/manufactured without any "transfer of technology" from other countries Mellow

CSR had been building high speed trains in a joint venture with Kawasaki (Japan). Since December 2007 when they rolled out the first train, CSR has ended its cooperation with Kawasaki.
Kawasaki then challenged China's high-speed rail project for patent theft, but subsequently backed off.

This was big news at the time.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2022 02:44:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

A very smooth ride the TGV is although I think maybe the Chinese have the smoothest. Travelled on one in 2015 from Beijing to Shenzhen which stayed almost constantly at 307 km/h lol. Maybe the ballastless track contributes to the damn smooth ride quality?!! Better yet...here is the video I shot of this experience:..

That 11 minute video is remarkable.
It appears to be completely flat country side with no relief - and the track infrastructure on either embankments or bridgework.

In 1998 in the seat of my pants I could definitely feel the vertical curvature of the line on the Shinkansen.

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Online marklinist5999  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2022 11:14:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have the 1991 version of the TGV 325 km/hr set by Jouef. It is three units plus driving units. Quite long, nearly six feet.
It is analog d/c so operates on the outside single track oval on my layout. I too like high speed trains.
Because I already have an ICE three, and also a one, my next model will be the SBB Giruno. A more manageable 40 inches in 5 units to run on my Marklin 3 rail bahnberg.
Over the Bietschtal bridge from the original side to the new extension.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 04 February 2022 13:11:47(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
FD, MS 23 (I thing she was Miss 11 at the time) and I did the Thalys from Paris to Brussels and back.. A year later we did the same trip one way on our way to Sweden to see the Webmaster..

My impression is that while the speed IS awesome, it is smoother and quieter than any aircraft I have flown. Makes the Australian trains seem like cattle trucks by comparison.

We tended to focus on the distant things like the Wind Turbines at 300Km/hr.. There is a video somewhere of 300+ km/hr on the Thalys, but to be honest it is a little dull to watch compared to being on the train an experiencing the real thing..

We have two ten wagon Thalyii in our collection - one is the TinTin edition..Cool It is just a pity that the wheels fall off them and Marklin never offered a solution to their customers.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#18 Posted : 04 February 2022 18:59:22(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

Yep I share your obsession with them, although I don’t have the room on my layout for a 6 car TGV. I have traveled a lot on TGVs over the years. It’s quite easy these days to do a day trip to Paris or Brussels and Amsterdam on a Eurostar. What I find odd, is why Marklin haven’t done a Z TGV? We would all have room for a full ten car train?

Hey danmarklinman, it's always nice to find other like minded bullet train fanboys! LOL

Marklin seem to be very selective in what trains they produce and yeah...I hear ya about them not doing a TGV in Z scale.

I'd love for them to do an original blue/silver TGV Reseau in HO but somehow I can't see it ever getting the green light Sad

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#19 Posted : 04 February 2022 19:08:31(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

It is worth keeping track of the Abandoned Engineering series on the Yesterday Channel (in the UK) as this line appears in one of those episodes.

Thanks for the heads up Alan, need to check out that series ThumpUp

CSR had been building high speed trains in a joint venture with Kawasaki (Japan). Since December 2007 when they rolled out the first train, CSR has ended its cooperation with Kawasaki.
Kawasaki then challenged China's high-speed rail project for patent theft, but subsequently backed off.

This was big news at the time.

Kimball

Oh yes...I remember this all too well. It would be a dodgy rabbit hole discussing this in depth due to politics involved lol Unsure

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#20 Posted : 04 February 2022 19:22:24(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   

That 11 minute video is remarkable.
It appears to be completely flat country side with no relief - and the track infrastructure on either embankments or bridgework.

In 1998 in the seat of my pants I could definitely feel the vertical curvature of the line on the Shinkansen.

Kimball

Thanks mate, yeah Chinese high speed rail really is something and you're right, it's mostly flat. Just relentless speed pretty much the whole journey lol

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I have the 1991 version of the TGV 325 km/hr set by Jouef. It is three units plus driving units. Quite long, nearly six feet.
It is analog d/c so operates on the outside single track oval on my layout. I too like high speed trains.
Because I already have an ICE three, and also a one, my next model will be the SBB Giruno. A more manageable 40 inches in 5 units to run on my Marklin 3 rail bahnberg.
Over the Bietschtal bridge from the original side to the new extension.

I so badly want Marklin/TRIX to make this exact model. Outside of the orange original TGV PSE the silver/blue TGV Reseau/Atlantique is just as iconic for me as one of the ultimate expressions of a 'bullet train'.

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
FD, MS 23 (I thing she was Miss 11 at the time) and I did the Thalys from Paris to Brussels and back.. A year later we did the same trip one way on our way to Sweden to see the Webmaster..

My impression is that while the speed IS awesome, it is smoother and quieter than any aircraft I have flown. Makes the Australian trains seem like cattle trucks by comparison.

We tended to focus on the distant things like the Wind Turbines at 300Km/hr.. There is a video somewhere of 300+ km/hr on the Thalys, but to be honest it is a little dull to watch compared to being on the train an experiencing the real thing..

We have two ten wagon Thalyii in our collection - one is the TinTin edition..Cool It is just a pity that the wheels fall off them and Marklin never offered a solution to their customers.

Hehe, most videos you see on youtube don't really capture the true speed of 300 km/h. I'd like to think that my videos don't suffer from this ONLY because I've almost perfected the art of filming the footage at a particular angle and have experience of doing it literally for years on most of the best high speed trains in the world! LOL LOL LOL

Edited by user 05 February 2022 10:29:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2022 20:35:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I also have an orange set by Lima. Also vintage, made in Italy, not by Mehano. Two powered driving units, and several cars, individually boxed. My old dealer sold them to me on closeout. A few are mismatched and don't coupleto the entire train.
My Jouef was also made in France.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999