Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline phils2um  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2022 08:19:13(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
All over a contrasting opinion of A/C, D/C, and digital signals. I always was told by an electronics guy they couud be either.

I'm sorry to see Dale go too but can understand and share his frustration - https://www.marklin-user.../m643918-time-to-move-on

I'm not a computer scientist/engineer but do know the difference between DC logic pulses, typically 0V = 0 and +5V = 1, and the DCC/MM/mfx frequency modulated AC signal. Seems, many have already forgotten or may not even be aware of the address zero DC voltage shift method of operating a single analog DC loco along with DCC locos. Maybe because most on this forum started with and are most familiar with Märklin analog AC locomotives. This was an option on some early DCC central stations. It worked by superimposing the AC DCC signal on a positive or negative DC voltage. The DC voltage offset was determined by the address zero direction and throttle setting. The analog DC loco responded to the DC voltage offset, the DCC locos to the AC DCC signal. This has pretty much been abandoned because most DC motors do not like having the digitally encoded AC signal put on their windings.

Before anyone says, "but my all my digital locos have DC motors" remember the AC digital signal powers the decoder not the loco. The decoder rectifies the AC and sends an appropriate average DC voltage (average because the decoder output is typically a pulse width modulated fixed DC voltage) to the loco motor (and lights, smoke unit, etc.) based on the digital signal encoded in the frequency modulated AC.

These will be my final comments on the subject.

Edited by moderator 01 February 2022 06:41:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil S.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2022 09:51:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
Maybe because most on this forum started with and are most familiar with Märklin analog AC locomotives. This was an option on some early DCC central stations. It worked by superimposing the AC DCC signal on a positive or negative DC voltage.

Some current controller still have it. It works by "zero-bit stretching" that makes either "plus" or "minus" longer on the right rail. The analogue loco will run on AC that changes polarity a few thousand times per second, so the motor will change direction a few thousand times a second. Loco moves in one direction because of the asymmetry of the track signal.
A quick way to kill motors with bell-shaped armatures.
Trix prohibits that usage for all their locos.

I don't think there are controllers that support this by superimposing a DC voltage with the DCC signal, but I think it can be done and maybe some controllers did it that way. But anyway this would not prevent the motor from changing direction frequently when DCC signals are present, so IMHO this would make little difference with respect to the wear of the analogue motor.

Edited by moderator 01 February 2022 06:42:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2022 09:57:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
These will be my final comments on the subject.

I think most of your post should be somewhere else, and then I wouldn't mind to answer.................. Cool

Per.

Cool

Moved posts into this new thread created by H0 /BDNZ

Edited by moderator 01 February 2022 06:43:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2022 10:42:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Pulse code modulation?
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2022 10:51:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I don't think there are controllers that support this by superimposing a DC voltage with the DCC signal, but I think it can be done

It can be done; but causes other problems Blink

The DC voltage part would be added to the DCC peak voltage; which by "high" DC voltage most likely would cause the DCC decoders to be destroyed Glare

If the DC voltage is equal to or higher than the DCC peak voltage, the signal would look like a PWM signal,
and the DC motor would respond accordingly - and then nobody could call the signal AC........... Cool

If done on MM-decoders, the decoder would see it as a brake signal if the DC voltage was high enough;
but most likely the decoders would be destroyed before that = permanent brake BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2022 11:02:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
If done on MM-decoders [...]
The address 0 feature for analogue DC locos only works with DCC only. The MM protocol is asymmetric by design and has a very strict timing, making combination with analogue locos very difficult.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2022 11:17:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The address 0 feature for analogue DC locos only works with DCC only. The MM protocol is asymmetric by design and has a very strict timing, making combination with analogue locos very difficult.

Yes, I know, I only answered the part that I quoted, and it was purely theoretically about what would happen if you superimpose DC on the digital signal BigGrin

It had nothing to do with the address 0 DCC feature Blushing

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum