Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DB Fan  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2022 04:46:15(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
I’m considering to change to c track but read hear that there are some issues with the turnout mechanism. I searched on here but can’t seem to find the correct thread. Can someone point me in the right direction or explain the issues with the mechanism. Thanks in advance.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline hvc  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2022 09:39:14(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Hi Robert,

I have about 40 c-track turnouts, varying in age from 2 years to nearly 20 years and they have all been very reliable.

However, I mostly use manual switching - I’ve only done a little electric switching, but I seem to recall that people have had trouble with the motors… hoping someone with more experience will chip in here…

Herman
- Herman
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2022 10:04:52(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Robert,

I think that this video may help you:

Carim
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2022 11:25:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
I think that this video may help you:

That video is about K track points / motors and although the symptoms and end fix might be similar, the OP asked about C track turnouts.

The issue with C track point motors was discussed a few days ago in the following thread. That thread also has some links to previous discussions.

https://www.marklin-user...91-decoder-60831-and-CS3

Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
I searched on here but can’t seem to find the correct thread. Can someone point me in the right direction....

There's also a link to the above thread in my 'Commonly Asked Questions' thread which is a Sticky thread in the General topics part of the forum.

https://www.marklin-user...ns---requested-documents
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Tie  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2022 12:13:18(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi
I use the c tracks and my 20+ turnouts with motors and decoders have worked flawlessly for approx 4 years. Only drawback is the noise from electric switching. To high.
I damaged one turnout this christmas spilling some liquer wih lots of sugar into one of them. And after drenching the turnout motor and decoder in hot water the thing still works. But maybe not for long😂
Regards
Thor Inge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2022 14:59:28(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I’m considering to change to c track but read hear that there are some issues with the turnout mechanism. I searched on here but can’t seem to find the correct thread. Can someone point me in the right direction or explain the issues with the mechanism. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hi Robert. I have 92 c track switches on my layout. I am not aware of any issue with the C Track turnouts. The issue you have "heard" about I think involves the Marklin Switch motor. Item 74490/ and some of the earlier 74491 motors had a tendency to have a component fail. This can be proactively fixed. This is referenced above and in other places in this forum. I have made the fix to all of my older switch motors and haven't had any issues with them since. The newer 74491 motors have not given me any trouble at all. But to be clear, this has been an issue with the switch motor not the switch itself.

So I would endorse the purchase of c track switches if that is the route you are thinking of going.

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2022 16:19:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I concurr, they are mainly fail safe! I had one older one stick, but after a bit of very light sybthetic lube at the pivot rivets, it now works better. Marklin warns not to ever remove the bottom cover over the mechansim spring, or spring. Only the part to install a decoder. You can also spray lightly with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner. I cleaned it woth an alcohol soaked swap before oiling.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2022 17:28:12(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I’ll also endorse and double confirm the concurrent operation’s of these lovely turnouts!

No issues whatsoever ever, not once and I have;

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Nobody can beat the functionality of these and I mean nobody! LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2022 23:21:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Over many years one motor failed and all the decoders are still fine.Keep them clean if you can and free from ballast etc.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline DB Fan  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2022 02:42:27(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Thanks for all the replies and for bigdaddynz to point me in the right direction. I apologize for the terminology but to me the motor is a mechanism that operates the switch what is basically a lever with a spring on it. But that is me still thinking at times in German when i search for the correct terms. Again sorry about the error.

Robert