Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JDennis  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2021 18:44:46(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Have a couple locos that are way to small for any of the Marklin decoders but the LokSound micro will fit in there just fine. So, what do I need (equipment-wise) to be able to program the sound to a particular loco? Are there downloadable files out there somewhere that one can get and install on the decoder? Any comments, cautions, hints, etc.? Thanks.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2021 01:21:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JDennis Go to Quoted Post
Have a couple locos that are way to small for any of the Marklin decoders but the LokSound micro will fit in there just fine. So, what do I need (equipment-wise) to be able to program the sound to a particular loco? Are there downloadable files out there somewhere that one can get and install on the decoder? Any comments, cautions, hints, etc.? Thanks.

The ESU Website downloads section has a considerable number of suitable sound files.

You will also need a Lokprogrammer along with its software (downloadable from the downloads section) and I would recommend a Decoder Tester to mount the decoder on while the sound file is downloaded. It is possible to do this while it is in a loco, but the relatively high possibility of bad contact through the wheels creating a corrupted download is rather high, and the solid wire connection to the decoder tester is preferred.

The Decoder tester is universal to any decoder, not just ESU ones, so is a useful device to have around anyway.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2021 02:40:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
…. The Decoder tester is universal to any decoder, not just ESU ones, so is a useful device to have around anyway.

Please excuse my interjection Alan and JD,OhMyGod

Thanks for the information (I learn something new here every day BigGrin )

I normally use ESU decoders, have a Lokprogrammer (and watch the “ESU decoder-users” site).

So, am I understanding correctly from what you are saying that the ESU decoder tester will enable both reading and writing of many other brands of decoders (including Märklin) ?

Have a Happy New Year ,

Philip
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2021 12:57:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
…. The Decoder tester is universal to any decoder, not just ESU ones, so is a useful device to have around anyway.

I normally use ESU decoders, have a Lokprogrammer (and watch the “ESU decoder-users” site).

So, am I understanding correctly from what you are saying that the ESU decoder tester will enable both reading and writing of many other brands of decoders (including Märklin) ?

Have a Happy New Year ,

Philip

yes, the ESU Decoder tester is just like Marklins Decoder Tester, it emulates the various facilities in the loco, in that it has a motor, speaker and a number of LEDs so that operation of the decoder can be checked. The ESU unit has connectors for all the available decoder connectors (21 pin Plux 16, NMRA 8 pin, etc) but I am not sure that the Marklin one has the range of connectors.

Think of the decoder tester as a stationary loco with fixed wiring to the programmer or control unit.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JDennis  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2021 16:04:44(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Thanks so much for your info, guys. So, if I've got this right:

1. The decoder tester is a mount onto which you place the decoder for testing the operation of the decoder, and that the ESU decoder tester will work on both ESU and Marklin decoders.

2. That the LokProgrammer would connect to the decoder tester (with the decoder mounted on it) to do programming (e.g., installation of new audio files), and that the LokProgrammer would also work with ESU and Marklin decoders.

That's very helpful. I'm just in the process of converting all my locos to digital and have a great deal to learn. Have had good success on several, a few challenges on one right now, so this will help a lot.
Offline anthpao  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2021 16:17:28(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
With the lokprogrammer you will be able to program ESU decoders and some other brands decoders that support dcc, but only the cv’s not the sounds. You will not be able to program the sounds of Marklin decoders
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by anthpao
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2021 16:36:45(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

1. The decoder tester is a mount onto which you place the decoder for testing the operation of the decoder, and that the ESU decoder tester will work on both ESU and Marklin decoders.

2. That the LokProgrammer would connect to the decoder tester (with the decoder mounted on it) to do programming (e.g., installation of new audio files), and that the LokProgrammer would also work with ESU and Marklin decoders.

The decoder tester is just a simulation of a locomotive, wagon or whatever you want it to be; it's not a magical device that let's you use ESU's lokprogrammer to do all you want with Märklin's decoders.

If you have the Märklin decoder programmer, you can do everything with Märklin's decoders, having them installed in the decoder tester.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline ktsolias  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2021 18:13:58(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Have a Happy New Year ,

Philip

yes, the ESU Decoder tester is just like Marklins Decoder Tester, it emulates the various facilities in the loco, in that it has a motor, speaker and a number of LEDs so that operation of the decoder can be checked. The ESU unit has connectors for all the available decoder connectors (21 pin Plux 16, NMRA 8 pin, etc) but I am not sure that the Marklin one has the range of connectors.

Think of the decoder tester as a stationary loco with fixed wiring to the programmer or control unit.

The 60970 Märklin decoder tester has interface for the following formats

a Socket for the connection of an external speaker.
3.5 mm jack plug
b Connections for the 60971 Programmer
c Connections for the controller (programming track)
d Connection field for a decoder without an interface
e Interface for a 1 Gauge decoder
f MTC 14 decoder interface
g Decoder interface PLUX
the decoder must be plugged in from above.
h Decoder interface MTC 21, note the mounting direction
i Decoder interface for decoders in compliance with NEM 652
k Interface for connections from a SUSI module
l Decoder interface for decoders in compliance with NEM 651

Actually has more than the ESU

I have both and are really very usefull

Costas

Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2021 18:53:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The Lokprogrammer will load sound files and update the software of ESU decoders only.

It can change CVs on any NMRA compliant decoder.

To load sound files to any other make of decoder you need the appropriate decoder programmer from the manufacturer of the decoder, i.e.the Marklin decoders require the marklin programmer or a cs2 or cs3 to update them. When using the cs2 or cs3 you can use the decoder tester as the decoder mount while programming.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2021 18:58:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

The 60970 Märklin decoder tester has interface for the following formats
Actually has more than the ESU

I have both and are really very usefull

Costas

Thanks Costas, i must admit I haven't researched the Marklin one as I already have the ESU one.

Offline JDennis  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2022 01:17:02(UTC)
JDennis

United States   
Well, I ordered the ESU decoder tester. Figure if I can diagnose a couple questionable decoders laying around here (one ESU, one Marklin) with that, it's worth the money. Did not order the LokProgrammer at this point, figuring that i will have about 2 ESU decoders that need sound files in the forseeable future, and AJCKids will load them for me (for $5 I think). Just doesn't make good economic sense to spend $150 to load sound for 2 locos right now. Maybe will find I need one later.

There is sooooo much to learn about this stuff. You guys are all great at sharing so much information. Thanks again.