Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline The Crocodile  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2021 13:29:12(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Hi! I have never converted a loco to digital before, or done any sort of modification on any of my trains, I would however, like to start somewhere. The first set I ever bought was the 29146 starterset. It included a little green Henschel locomotive with a Delta decoder.

Now, I would like to convert this loco into full digital with a new smoother 5 pole motor and maybe some LED lights. Like I said, this will be the first train I ever conduct any sort of modification on, but I figured it's a good place to start.

For my questions, I would like to use as much Märklin parts as possible and I don't think I'll be aiming for the installation of a speaker or any sound features as of now. What parts should I go for? Is there a full "conversion kit" I can buy? If not then what decoder should I use, and what motor? Is there anything else I need? Any general tips for a newbie in this field will be greatly appreciated. I have included some pictures of the inside if they are of any help! Thank you in advance!

29146 4.jpg29146 2.jpg29146 3.jpg29146 1.jpg
C-track, temporary layout. I try to run my locos as much as possible:)
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2021 14:01:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Crocodile (Funny first name)
You may start with one of those solutions
- one cheaper is to use the 60760 kit (includes a 5 pole motor and a decoder). You end up with a 5 pole motor loco with a MM2 decoder (not MFX)
- another is to use a 60906 decoder allowing to keep the existing motor and also have MFX. Note: the motor will not be regulated
- one, more expensive is to replace the motor with a 60941 one and install a 60982 MFX decoder.

To replace laps with LEDs is more tricky and don't forget to install a resistor in series (1 kOhms to 2.2 kOhms)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline The Crocodile  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2021 16:49:11(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
- one cheaper is to use the 60760 kit (includes a 5 pole motor and a decoder). You end up with a 5 pole motor loco with a MM2 decoder (not MFX)
- another is to use a 60906 decoder allowing to keep the existing motor and also have MFX. Note: the motor will not be regulated
- one, more expensive is to replace the motor with a 60941 one and install a 60982 MFX decoder.

To replace laps with LEDs is more tricky and don't forget to install a resistor in series (1 kOhms to 2.2 kOhms)
Cheers
Jean

Thank you very much for your help! I think I will go for either option number 1 or 3. My main goal is to get the motor replaced so that the loco will run more smoothly, as right now it's quite jerky and inconsistent. Again, thank you!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2021 19:14:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: The Crocodile Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Jean

Thank you very much for your help! I think I will go for either option number 1 or 3. My main goal is to get the motor replaced so that the loco will run more smoothly, as right now it's quite jerky and inconsistent. Again, thank you!

I would recommend option 3 as I don't think you will be able to get the LED on top to flash with either of the other options, it will be off or on according to the function you use. It should be possible to configure the 60982 decoder to make it flash - but this will most likely require some help from someone else with a Marklin programmer of central station 2 or 3 to set this up.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline The Crocodile  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2021 16:03:21(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would recommend option 3 as I don't think you will be able to get the LED on top to flash with either of the other options, it will be off or on according to the function you use. It should be possible to configure the 60982 decoder to make it flash - but this will most likely require some help from someone else with a Marklin programmer of central station 2 or 3 to set this up.

You're absolutely right I did not take this into account. But as I have no central station or know anyone that do, I think I will either leave the light off or remove it entirely

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2021 16:16:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: The Crocodile Go to Quoted Post

You're absolutely right I did not take this into account. But as I have no central station or know anyone that do, I think I will either leave the light off or remove it entirely

I would just check the light first, it may be a self blinking one, just needing a voltage applied to it. I don't think the original decoder would have been able to make it blink, unless a special version of the decoder was used.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2021 00:22:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

No, all options are OK because (1) any output of Märklin decoders may be set to blinking (Mars light, Smoker, Telex, etc) and (2) because the small LED circuit includes all what is needed to drive the LED warning light from any AUX output (Depends on the wiring). Here is an example of programming an output using a CS2

Lok Konfiguration-mfx -Ausgange Programieren2.png

Same is possible on the CS3 but I don't have the image
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2021 06:30:26(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Did this many years ago with Marklin DHG 700 KRVM #30881. Lokpilot V3.0 M4 used with marklin 5 pole high propulsion motor kit #6090. An ESU 51968 21 Pole Mtc Adapter Board 2 was also used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2945...hpQZd&frcectupt=true

https://johnsoldeert.nl/...ecoderadapters/6090x-mtc

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Edited by user 31 December 2021 10:49:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline The Crocodile  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2021 10:56:31(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Thank you very much guys, I will make a small trip to my local Märklin dealer today to buy the 60760 kit, I will update here when I've either succesfully installed it or destroyed the entire locomotiveLOL
Also Dave, thank you for the pictures, it always helps immensely to have reference pictures, I do appreciate it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by The Crocodile
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 30 December 2021 12:07:00(UTC)
H0

I would recommend option 3 as I don't think you will be able to get the LED on top to flash with either of the other options
Normal Delta decoders do not support flashing either.
I think the small PCB does the flashing or maybe it is even a flashing LED that does not require external electronics.
I assume you just need a steady function output for the flashing light - and even the 60760 can do that.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0