Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ftigli  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2021 15:51:13(UTC)
Ftigli

Italy   
Hi to everyone! I used my Marklin 26537 (Electric loco plus 3 vagons set) for long time with analog 6631 trafos (!)

When I moved to new home, AC plugs were up to 230VAC !!!! So I damaged decoder with 28.9 volt inversion voltage at new home!

First, I reduced inversion voltage downto 25.5 volt using diode bridges, ok, now Digital locos go in a safe world.. (!)

Then, I replaced broken decoder with a new Mld3 one..it has a marklin booklet with detailed CV lists

Loco works fine in digital (regular, low speed atc)
But in ANALOG it is a disaster!!! Minimum speed doesn't exist! Loco start suddendly after 2-3 seconds, with a "elastic" effect. Continuosly it lost power, stops and wait for 2-3 seconds again..
I Tried to adjust some CVs using a CS2 at my Marklin Friend home ... so trials wasn't no long time..

First, I set the CV73 from 7 to 3 (no ABV).. .nothing... same problems

Then, I see that there are same CVS for DCC zone .. I try to set the CV173 to 3 too... no effects in analog mode

Then , I modified a minimum current in analog mode CV... (standard was 125, I tried 5-10). This modify causes strange running: loco starts and stop continuosly.. mean values doesnt' solve the issue.

I'm worried about these problems. Loco before damage was perfect in analog mode!!! If I want convert other locos with Mld3, I could have same issues in analog running!!!

Do you have meet already these issues converting old locos with a Mld3 and using in analog?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2021 17:24:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not too familiar with the newer Mld3. Most, if not all of my locomotives have ESU or Zimo decoders. There are a few Maerklin locos with OEM decoders (post ESU).

The first thing that you should do is to purchase a suitable transformer for your local power network. It is easier and safer than trying to limit the output of the transformer.

Your model is from 2006. I don't know whether it still came with an OEM ESU or whether this was already a Maerklin inhouse decoder.

If it was an OEM ESU, you can buy a basic ESU V.3 or V.4 (depending on which one was used) and install the Maerklin settings on it.
I did this on a few of my loks when the decoder stopped responding. It was very easy, as I had saved all of my decoder settings using the Lokprogrammer. I wish that I could do that with my Roco (Zimo) and Maerklin (post ESU) models.

If you can find somebody who has saved the settings for that particular lok, you can have that data written on a new ESU and you should return to operation as it was out of the box.

Regards

Mike C
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2021 20:12:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Ftigli Go to Quoted Post
But in ANALOG it is a disaster!!! Minimum speed doesn't exist! Loco start suddendly after 2-3 seconds, with a "elastic" effect. Continuosly it lost power, stops and wait for 2-3 seconds again..

I have a somewhat similar problem with an older analogue converted to digital. (Bought used on Ebay, with conversion already done).
To get rid of the slow start after a power-interruption, you should set the acceleration delay to 0. -Of course not so nice if you don't reduce the power up to a STOP signal...

Other than that, you can try to make sure that it isn't the loco that causes the power-interruption: Is the slider correctly aligned? (Normally it should be perfectly flat, but a slightly concave or convex form can drastically change its behaviour when running over points...)
Also check if the wheelsets are causing a short, bridging the pukos and the track when running over points.
If you are using C-track, you might check that the puko-strip hasn't been pressed down somewhere, allowing the slider to bridge pukos and track.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Ftigli  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2021 09:11:43(UTC)
Ftigli

Italy   
Thanks for suggestions! About these, I can say:
- When I use it on digital, contact is very good and loco runs smootly without stops or interructions. So pick-up works fine...
- Old decoder was an ESU V.3 , new is a "marklin" mld3 supplied with a detailed cv list for DCC and MFX fields... a strange setting is that analog configurations are presents on both DCC and MFX parts.. but the questions is.. in Analog what of them work?? It seems a non-sense :-)
About 6631 voltage, I take the inversion voltage from a controlled line, not from trafo (it is blocked on inversion). When AC line is 230VAC, the inversion reachs 28.9 (causing damages). Now it is not more 25.5 volt (Veff) and from long time I'havent problems on every machines.
So, I'll try accelleration delay settings or I must find a ESU V3 Decoder...
Or pass to digital in next time... Huh