Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Saulo35  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2021 01:35:59(UTC)
Saulo35

Canada   
Hi, I have had buildings 911, 913 and 914 since the 1960s. I am unsure about the scale of those kits. I have the box for 911 and I found pictures online for the 913 box, and apparently the scale is not stated anywhere. Does anybody know? Are HO buildings' models (at least from that era) prefixed with "B-"?
Thank you,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Saulo35
Offline rmsailor  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2021 11:12:56(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Saulo35 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have had buildings 911, 913 and 914 since the 1960s. I am unsure about the scale of those kits. I have the box for 911 and I found pictures online for the 913 box, and apparently the scale is not stated anywhere. Does anybody know? Are HO buildings' models (at least from that era) prefixed with "B-"?
Thank you,

Older Faller models were made to a scale of 1/100 instead of 1/87. Generally not noticible unless you have a figure next a doorway. You can put them to the rear for a bit of forced perspective.

Bob M.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2021 11:52:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post
Thank you,

Older Faller models were made to a scale of 1/100 instead of 1/87. Generally not noticible unless you have a figure next a doorway. You can put them to the rear for a bit of forced perspective.

Bob M.

Some Faller models were deliberately made smaller for forced perspective, typically models of buildings that would be in villages high on the hills or alone in the alps. It was stated in the catalogue that this was the case.

I could never work out what the logic about prefixing some catalogue numbers with 'B-' was. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2021 13:33:40(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I may be stretching the line a bit, but was there not also the TT scale very popular in Europe at 1:120, so Faller (et al.) would make building models at 1:100 and cover both TT (a bit oversize) and HO (a bit undersize). (though this might be urban legend Blink )

And Preiser still makes a very small collection of 1:100 figures (which is probably what I would do, but then I am a bit strange anyway). Granted, they would be small for the train...

And in some of the older Faller catalogs, some structures are even noted as "Hintergrund".
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:52:21(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
... Are HO buildings' models (at least from that era) prefixed with "B-"?
Thank you,

No.
The B means that it is a kit ('Bausätze' in German language), Faller also had already assembled houses in their program. ('Fertigmodelle' in German language).

These 'Fertigmodelle' were assembled in the living rooms of many home workers in and around Gutenbach.
The high cost of wages for these home workers eventually influenced Faller's decision to start selling kits, instead of the already assembled houses.
The trick was that Faller let their customers to believe that it was more fun to construct the houses themselves.
And the trick worked, since then model hobbyists around the world are devoted to the glue.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kweekalot