Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2021 21:31:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Most smoke units I've seen put out a wimpy trail of smoke. Only one Marklin locomotive I've seen puts out a puff of smoke that closely resembles a "blast" of smoke. I wonder if there is a way to get a blast of smoke like a prototype.
Offline Mr. Ron  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2021 22:59:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I just watched a short video on this forum of an MTH locomotive with "dynamic smoke effect". That is exactly what I was looking for. I hope a similar unit can be developed that can be retrofitted into other locomotives. The steam emitting from the cylinder steam chests is another "would like to see". I understand one company has it. A steamer with realistic smoke chuffs and cylinder steam at startup would add so much more realism to the hobby.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2021 00:11:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Most smoke units I've seen put out a wimpy trail of smoke. Only one Marklin locomotive I've seen puts out a puff of smoke that closely resembles a "blast" of smoke. I wonder if there is a way to get a blast of smoke like a prototype.

There are now two Marklin locos with 'dynamic smoke'. One is the UP 844 and the other is the br02.

I'm expecting there will be several more in the 2022 new items brochure (which is only about 5 weeks away).

Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2021 00:36:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
IMHO, I don't compare ho scale smoke to MTH which is O scale. The narrower smoke units do produce less. Some Marklin ho models have two. The older 7226 unit is wider diameter and makes a bit wider smoke trail.
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2021 12:00:23(UTC)
bph

Norway   
hi
the 37984 844 is probably the best "smoker" in the Marklin lineup, and it smokes more heavily with a full chamber.
If I'm not mistaken Roco has a model with cylinder steam, but I remember vaguely that it's reported to be unreliable. if you are interested in that you should do some investigation before you buy one.

Another option is to "improve" Marklin smoke generators.
one method is described here: https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/tipps-tricks-infos/1718-tuning-der-rauchsatzansteuerung-jetzt-raucht-s-richtig.html
using this method in combination with mapping the AUX as a "smoke generator" improves it some. but you should be aware that you are using it at a higher voltage than it's designed for. and it's recommended to dim the output down.

you can also build your own smoke generator and mix your own smoke fluid...........(and wear a gas mask)
here is a video where someone made a smoke generator and used a mix of swing oil and car engine oil
Source:https://www.stummiforum.de/t197633f2-Dampfoel.html#msg2346391
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline David2  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2022 02:59:39(UTC)
David2

Netherlands   
You can use a smoke oil SR24 but in time it will destroy the smoke unit reason it burns a little hotter then the smoke oil van Seuthe, Esu, Marklin our km.

I use Esu and that gives more smoke then SR24.